Pariah

The Tampa Bay Lightning trailed 3-0 with six minutes left when their coach decided to pull the goalkeeper. The good news for Tampa Bay: they scored two goals very quickly. The bad news: they gave up three empty net goals just as quickly.

Also, the US Men's soccer team is again doing their damnedest to miss the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.  They lost 1-0 to Panama the other night.  IMO if they lose their next match, in Columbus Ohio (which counts as a home game no matter what you think of Ohio) against Costa Rica, then they don't deserve to go anywhere but a playpen with nice soft-safe toys.  That's the team.  The leadership, from the coach on up, already have put up a strong case for them being demoted from latrine orderly to moat-monster fodder.

50 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Also, the US Men's soccer team is again doing their damnedest to miss the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.  They lost 1-0 to Panama the other night.  IMO if they lose their next match, in Columbus Ohio (which counts as a home game no matter what you think of Ohio) against Costa Rica, then they don't deserve to go anywhere but a playpen with nice soft-safe toys.  That's the team.  The leadership, from the coach on up, already have put up a strong case for them being demoted from latrine orderly to moat-monster fodder.

We have a national men's team??  :angel:

On other news, the Sounders are to the top of the West, have won their last 4 games and have clinched their playoff spot. 

With 6 regular season games to go they certainly could overtake New England for the Shield if they continue their run.

In tennis...they're playing Indian Wells finally.  It's a spring tournament normally.

Brett Haber dropped a comment...come Monday when the next round of ATP rankings comes out, Roger Federer will fall out of the top 10.  He held on to the rankings points because the ATP restructured points retention...normally, the points track over the last year, and it's a rolling year.  But with the pandemic they made it 2 years.  

The only event left after this is the ATP Masters in Paris...but that's limited to the top 8, who are all ahead of Fed.  Next major event would be the Australian Open, and if Fed can't play that, he'll lose the points from being a semi-finalist in 2020, I think.  That'll drop him quite a bit.

Rafa Nadal's ranking will in part depend on how long he's out;  his foot problem is apparently chronic.  It severely limited his schedule this year, and looks like will continue to do so.  OK, when he can play...he's playing well.  But he might not stay in the top 10 a whole lot longer either.

I wish they'd show the Indian Wells tournament on TV. Apparently it's only on a streaming service.

Federer and Nadal have dropped out of the top 10 before and come back. That said, age and injury are catching up with them, and the current batch of young guns seem to be a greater challenge to the Big Three more than the previous batch.

Still gutted for Djokovic on not being able to achieve the Calendar Grand Slam, but he did appear vulnerable the entire tournament. It seems his challenge will be more emotional rather than physical going forward.

Hockey has started for real in the NHL, and the Kraken played their first game yesterday against the team that set the high bar for expansion teams -- The Vegas Golden Knights, who made the Finals in their first year.

The ESPN commentators describing the game thought the Knights were favorites to win everything. As for the Kraken, they said the new team in Seattle would he fighting for a playoff berth in the West, and might even win a series.

The game did no go against that assessment. Vegas won on a very questionable goal (The Kraken's coach thought he had kicked the puck into the net, which is illegal in ice hockey, but Toronto could find no hard evidence to overturn the call on the ice. Since that was the game winner, Seattle fans have every reason to be angry), but the Kraken showed skill and heart, coming back from 3-0 midway through the second to tying the game in the third and looking like they could score the lead goal. I imagine some of the the names on that roster will become familiar to me.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, Cancer said:

... IMO if [the US men's national soccer team] lose their next match, in Columbus Ohio (which counts as a home game no matter what you think of Ohio) against Costa Rica, then they don't deserve to go anywhere but a playpen with nice soft-safe toys. ... The leadership, from the coach on up, already have put up a strong case for them being demoted from latrine orderly to moat-monster fodder.

After giving up a goal literally in Minute 1 of the match, US rebounded to defeat Costa Rica 2-1.  I do not alter my statement about the leadership.

Their next match is against Mexico, next month.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, tkdguy said:

I wish they'd show the Indian Wells tournament on TV. Apparently it's only on a streaming service.

Federer and Nadal have dropped out of the top 10 before and come back. That said, age and injury are catching up with them, and the current batch of young guns seem to be a greater challenge to the Big Three more than the previous batch.

Still gutted for Djokovic on not being able to achieve the Calendar Grand Slam, but he did appear vulnerable the entire tournament. It seems his challenge will be more emotional rather than physical going forward.

Tennis Channel.  Been watching.

The problem with Federer and Nadal getting back into the top 10 will be their physical condition.  Neither has been able to play anything close to a regular schedule for several years, and not doing so means you've got to have VERY good results when you do play.  

What the kiddies have is POWER.  They hit out almost all the time, and just *mash* the ball.  Dimitrov played Basiashvili this afternoon;  Bas blitzed through the first set because he just didn't miss.  Jim Courier's comment even was, when playing him, you just had to endure that spell.  His level would slip, he wouldn't make them all, and you can come back.  That's exactly what happened.  Fritz just beat Zherev...by pounding and pounding.  And Zherev's second-serve yips.

So we've got the semis of a men's Masters 1000...and all 4 players are seeded, but lower than 20.  Fritz was 31.  Some of this, Courier was noting, was fatigue and end-of-season wear and tear...the schedule this year ended up being compressed from the French on.  Many of the big names are withdrawing from some of the European events;  other than the ATP Masters, they're done for the year.  

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Whoa...for a small league, what's going on would seem to threaten its fundamental existence.  There's a separate, MAJOR scandal about another coach, that's brought FIFA in to investigate, and led the league president and the general counsel was fired by the board of directors.  I'm hearing experiences somewhat similar to USA Gymnastics.

16 minutes ago, Spence said:

So the Kraken won their first game of the regular season.

I suppose it's nice to see Phillip Grubauer playing well for his new team. 

Too bad he couldn't be bothered to do the same in the second round of the playoffs.

19 hours ago, Pariah said:

Too bad he couldn't be bothered to do the same in the second round of the playoffs.

I wish I knew enough about the sport that those comments meant something to me. 

Seriously. 

I plan on trying to learn the game through this season. 

On 10/15/2021 at 6:12 PM, Pariah said:

On 10/16/2021 at 2:02 PM, Spence said:

I wish I knew enough about the sport that those comments meant something to me. 

Seriously. 

I plan on trying to learn the game through this season. 

The Kraken, knowing they need to sell the Seattle market on the new sport in town, have prepared this handy-dandy resource guide to learn the sport, including videos.;

This should help too.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

San Jose Sharks' Evander Kane suspended 21 games for violation of COVID-19 protocols

He had a fake COVID-19 vaccination card. His suspension (without pay) will keep him out of action until the end of November.

Anyone else notice what that says about the schedule?  That's 6 weeks, basically on the nose, so the NHL is playing every other day.  Pretty crowded pace there.  I presume that's another part of the adjustments because of the Winter Olympics.

Team coach is saying "we'll see when the suspension is over" about how the team will proceed.  Not exactly a vote of confidence.  Would not surprise me that this is the last straw;  his off-ice history is *severely* tarnished, and this might be the last straw...if they can find some way around his contract, especially.  It's got 3 more years, at $7M per...fully guaranteed.  Oops.  For reference, according to Sportrac Connor McDavid is the highest-paid player at $12.5M, and hockey's salary cap is only $81.5M.  So that would be a very painful contract to have to eat.

West Coast games run a bit late for my current sleep schedule. But I did get very excited seeing the Seattle Kraken play at home for the very first time in Climate Pledge Arena. It was wonderful to see hte crowd into it the way they were.

I understand Seattle did not win the game. And expansion teams in the NHL face really high expectations after what Vegas did their first year.