Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I don't know, an understanding that a player on the playing field could bodycheck me with impunity would certainly discourage me from wanting to go on. Which kind of brings me back to my original post, I suppose.

Yes, but it'd NEVER be allowed to happen.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be deserved.......

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

There are six people up for Sports Personality of the Year and Lewis Hamilton and Mark Cavendish are not among them.

Tyson Fury, Emma Radacanu, Adam Peaty, Dame Sarah Storey, Tom Daley and Raheem Sterling are the ones selected instead. 

Literally none of the names mean anything to me.

I'm guessing none of them play soccer?

Raheem Sterling is with the English national soccer team; scored a couple in the most recent tournament.  That was the one name I recognized right off.  The next most familiar one is Dame Sarah Storey, who's a paralympian with an already lengthy career.

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Raheem Sterling is with the English national soccer team; scored a couple in the most recent tournament.  That was the one name I recognized right off.  The next most familiar one is Dame Sarah Storey, who's a paralympian with an already lengthy career.

Cool, I didn't know that from under my rock.

The National Hockey League has paused its season until December 26th due to COVID-19. That means that all games, practices, and other in-person team activities are suspended until then, with games resuming on the 27th.

Currently, something like 15% of the league's players are in COVID protocols. It's so bad that the league is considering exercising the opt-out clause in their Olympic contract, meaning no NHL players would travel to Beijing in February for the Olympic Winter Games.

Washington state offers vanity car license plates in a number of series, including ones for the pro sports franchises, Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders.  The establishment of the NHL Kraken also has seen a series of vanity  plates available for them too.  The Kraken plates are a dark blue with their "S" logo on the left side.

I saw an excellent metagaming-the-system on such plate yesterday.  The license "number" was just HIT.

The NHL and NHLPA have reportedly reached agreement to withdraw from participation in the upcoming Olympics.  This comes after they've gone on Pause after tonight.  The NHL's had to postpone a BUNCH of games already...because they can, as opposed to the NFL which feels it can't.  (And largely, they do a rigid schedule.  It's easy to say "reschedule the playoffs" but the Super Bowl is very likely a VERY HARD date.  The economic consequences of delaying it are probably HUGE.)  The NBA is in a similar position, but they can play with a smaller roster.  Adam Silver said there's no plan to take a break at this time.

On 12/21/2021 at 2:57 PM, unclevlad said:

The NHL and NHLPA have reportedly reached agreement to withdraw from participation in the upcoming Olympics.  This comes after they've gone on Pause after tonight.  The NHL's had to postpone a BUNCH of games already...because they can, as opposed to the NFL which feels it can't.  (And largely, they do a rigid schedule.  It's easy to say "reschedule the playoffs" but the Super Bowl is very likely a VERY HARD date.  The economic consequences of delaying it are probably HUGE.)  The NBA is in a similar position, but they can play with a smaller roster.  Adam Silver said there's no plan to take a break at this time.

Have they decided how long the NHL pause will be? I know there are no games tonight, but how far forward will this have to hold off before they have no choice but to play games?

As for bowing out of the Olympics, those players who are Olynpic caliber will object, but with one of the most brutal governments on Earth staging a full-blown propaganda spectacle, I personally don't mind the NHL players sitting out. Plus without the NHL players in the mix the scputs going to Beijing will see players from Eastewrn and Northern Europe thay they have not had the chance to before.

Some of those players will be good enough for NHLK teams to take a gamble on them. Sweden, Norway, Russia, and Finland have sent plany players to the NHL, including first-ballot Hall of Famer Alex Ovechkin The Russian Kontinental Hockey League will be scouting just as intently.

Last I heard, tomorrow's the first scheduled games, and a pretty full slate for Wednesday.

They're also going to allow a taxi squad again, apparently something they did last year.  Have to.  Went back, picked a game at random...in a non-OT game, both players used 12 forwards and 6 defensemen.  Every forward played 10+ minutes;  every defenseman played 

• 2 weeks later...

This is only one of the numerous reason that I find the Qatar World Cup revolting to think about. I think what we;ve experienced in the last eight years of preparation justifies that sentiment.

The most important thing to worry about, of course, is the safety of the athletes, coaches, support staff, and fans in a very unstable part of the world right now. Therte are more dangerous places than the Persian Gulf -- just not that many. Your Petrodollars at work!

This would never have reached this point if time was kept in a sane manner.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/africa-cup-of-nations/story/4568330/referee-mistakes-ruin-tunisia-vs-mali-at-afcon-and-threaten-to-overshadow-a-fun-tournament

I will never buy that keeping stoppage time some vague, deep, dark secret is in service of fair competition.  Not ever.

There's still time, and the situation may well change, but the French Open has announced a change in its policies.  From Yahoo Sports,

The ministry said a new vaccine pass, approved by the French parliament on Sunday, "applies to everyone, to volunteers and to elite sportspeople, including those coming from abroad, until further notice."

I think we may well see further pressure too, before then.  The next Masters 1000 is at Indian Wells, in the California high desert not too far east of LA, just a bit SE of Palm Springs.  I don't know what the vaccination policies are, but Los Angeles has been hit hard by Omicron.

An article that pulls no punches...

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/the-tarnished-legacy-of-novak-djokovic

So the stranglehold of the NCAA over college sports has been broken.  They passed a new, highly simplified constitution, abrogating numerous powers and saying the divisions can set their own rules.  

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33110069/ncaa-member-schools-vote-ratify-new-streamlined-constitution

The new constitution states plainly that college athletes should not be paid directly by their schools for athletic participation, but leaves it up to each division to decide what education-related benefits that athletes can receive from their schools and how athletes can make money from other sources by selling the rights to their own names, images and likenesses.

Ahhhhh, ambiguity.  No question but we'll hear about "education-related" benefits that will bear little or no resemblance to an educational mission.  But this is pretty much it, for the NCAA as a governing body.  I also suspect it'll increase the momentum for the Power 5 and CFP to completely separate.