Pariah

And now we see the other side.

Grambling State Volleyball Coach Cuts Every Scholarship Player From Team, per Report

Trayvean Scott, GSU’s athletic director, said in a statement that “just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs.”

One of the amusing things about some of the secondary NCAA sports is that minor schools often do amazingly well.  In hockey since 2000:
North Dakota 

DU (3 times)

Minnesota-Duluth (3 times)

Yale

Union

Boston University

Lacrosse has been another, but it's had a massive ACC component...since 2000, ACC schools have taken 14 titles.  But still, there's Yale and DU again, plus Loyola (MD), and Johns Hopkins.  Let me say:  if you haven't seen the game?  It's amazing at times.  It's even harder to follow in some ways than hockey, in that the ball's SERIOUSLY hard to see.  But what the players can do with the ball...since their sticks have pockets that can carry the ball, they can shoot from practically any angle.  Makes a goalie's job incredibly hard.  It makes for nice scoring and generally more action.  The final four is held, IIRC, Memorial Day weekend, and it's worth a watch.

So Tiger made the cut fairly easily, but thru 36 holes it's a runaway.  Scottie Scheffler...yeah, I'd never heard of him either...has a 5 stroke lead on the field, at -8.  Woods is tied (19th-22nd) at +1.  

Who is this leader?  Pretty much a kid, just 25, college golfer...who's won at Phoenix and Bay Hill (Arnie's tournament), won the WGC Match Play, 2nd at Houston, 7th at Riviera.  Already pocketed over $7M.  Not bad work if you can get it, eh?

On 4/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, Pariah said:

The AD is "clarifying" it isn't the whole team, that 4-5 are being retained.  Uh...huh.  That isn't even a fig leaf for covering.

The university president needs to block this, IMO.  College coaches come across as martinets MUCH too often, and this falls *comfortably* into that camp.  3 practices in, and "they aren't my kind of players"?

IF we ever find out more, my opinion may change, but right now?  The VB coach is not fit to be in such a position...anywhere.  The AD is guilty of dereliction for not taking action, so he goes too.  That said:  it's too late to avoid major damage.  The university now has a completely deserved reputation for not having their students' backs.

In golf:  tough day in Georgia.  Early coverage was all about the conditions...cold and windy.  52 players made the cut;  only 9 shot under par, and 4 more shot par.  Conversely, I count 17 that shot 5 over or worse.  Including Tiger, who's an afterthought now.  But he probably isn't *that* upset by it;  it was a very, very tough day.  Wunderkind Scottie Scheffler shot 1 under;  he still has a 3 shot lead.  ONLY 3 because Aussie Cameron Smith shot a near-miracle 4 under.

14 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The AD is "clarifying" it isn't the whole team, that 4-5 are being retained.  Uh...huh.  That isn't even a fig leaf for covering.

The university president needs to block this, IMO.  College coaches come across as martinets MUCH too often, and this falls *comfortably* into that camp.  3 practices in, and "they aren't my kind of players"?

IF we ever find out more, my opinion may change, but right now?  The VB coach is not fit to be in such a position...anywhere.  The AD is guilty of dereliction for not taking action, so he goes too.  That said:  it's too late to avoid major damage.  The university now has a completely deserved reputation for not having their students' backs.

Is this the same AD that hired Art Briles...?

2 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Is this the same AD that hired Art Briles...?

Yep.  

Unless I really hear something to change my mind, I agree with this story:

https://thegrio.com/2022/04/08/volleyball-team-latest-sign-grambling-state-losing-its-mind/

There's a podcast here

https://hbcusports.com/2022/04/06/hbcu-sports-live-grambling-volleyball-coach-cuts-entire-roster/

The guy's a little long and rambling, but there's one caller...a former player at Alcorn State, who coaches youth volleyball now.  Her characterization...martinet isn't the word.  Fast forward to about 15:30 and let it play for...40 seconds or so.  "Power trip" comes to mind.  

What's also interesting, a bit later on, is that the former player claims that she and other players at Alcorn State, wrote numerous letters to the administration...which were ignored.  This sounds far, far too familiar.

Minnesota state led for the first 45 minutes of the game. Then Denver University scored five goals in the last 15 minutes, including two empty net goals in the last three and a half minutes, to win the 2022 NCAA ice hockey National Championship.

This makes nine national championships for DU, tying them for the most all time with Michigan, the team they knocked out two nights ago. 

Go Pioneers!

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

Minnesota state led for the first 45 minutes of the game. Then Denver University scored five goals in the last 15 minutes, including two empty net goals in the last three and a half minutes, to win the 2022 NCAA ice hockey National Championship.

This makes nine national championships for DU, tying them for the most all time with Michigan, the team they knocked out two nights ago. 

Go Pioneers!

And DU beat Villanova in a Big East conference lacrosse matchup 12-10, in a highly competitive game...the teams were tied...6 or 7 times I believe.  Villanova was #18, but lacrosse rankings are very tricky.  That was the 11th game for DU, 10th for Villanova.  There isn't a lot of basis for comparison, and schedules vary greatly.

12 hours ago, death tribble said:

Leclerc wins the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61056578

And I turned in (blame insomnia) just in time to see Max Verstappen stop and climb out of his car so people could put out a fire before it reached the cockpit. I cost him his second DNF in the first three races of the season, but at least he didn't die.

I wonder who supplies Red Bull's cars, because something must be wrong with the defending champion's technical assistance. He's been driving well when he can stay on the track, so he has time to catch up.

7 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Scottie Scheffler wins the Masters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61061626

Oh man.  Comfortably, it looks like.  Rory McIlroy shot an insane 64, but from so far back that he never had a lead on the course.  Scheffler had 2 early birdies to go to 11 under and 4 shots over Rory.  He won by 3...and *double bogied* the finishing hole.  I think he can be forgiven some degree of nerves.

First 4 wins of his career in less than a 2 month span.  He led in the FedEx Cup standings by almost 800 points...he just added another 600.  And that's the most any single event is worth.  It looks like he's got enough to qualifty for the FedEx Championship....by a MILE...no matter what.  He just broke $10M earned...this year.  It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the fame.  This run is very reminiscent of Jordan Spieth a few years ago.  Spieth's been good since then, but nothing like that early streak.

Flip side:  Tiger had another poor day.  6 over.  Finished, IIRC, 47th of 52.  NOT surprising;  golf stresses the body in some specific ways, particularly the back...and that's been one of his major issues.  There's a reason why very, very few majors are won by 40+ year old players.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:34 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I wonder who supplies Red Bull's cars, because something must be wrong with the defending champion's technical assistance. He's been driving well when he can stay on the track, so he has time to catch up.

F1 teams are required to build their own cars, so Red Bull Racing has no-one to blame but themselves. There are exceptions for things like the power unit, but RBR is also building their own (with Honda giving them a considerable amount of help).

In Monte Carlo today, both a major surprise...and not so major at the same time.

Surprise aspect:  Novak the Joker lost his first match to Alejandro Davidovich-Fokina, 22 year old Spaniard who came into Monte Carlo ranked 50th...and who'd never beaten a top 5 player.  (Believe it was said, had beaten a top-10 player once.)  

NOT so surprising:  first match in forever for the Joke.  NASTY conditions...quite windy, and windy on clay --> lots of blowing dust on the court.  Novak dislikes wind...not like he's unique there, but he's always seemed like something of a control freak, so he gets rattled more than most.

Unfortunately, he rose back to #1 even so, because Daniil Medvedev had developed a small hernia, and chose to get it surgically repaired.  He's out for a month or two...which means no points.  Alexander Zherev has a window to at least greatly close the gap to gain the #1 ranking, and several other players are taking advantage of the issues the top players are having, to claim notably better results.

On 4/10/2022 at 3:34 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

And I turned in (blame insomnia) just in time to see Max Verstappen stop and climb out of his car so people could put out a fire before it reached the cockpit. I cost him his second DNF in the first three races of the season, but at least he didn't die.

16 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

F1 teams are required to build their own cars, so Red Bull Racing has no-one to blame but themselves. There are exceptions for things like the power unit, but RBR is also building their own (with Honda giving them a considerable amount of help).

"Red Bull gives you Engines!"

I don't see how you can win at the F! level on chewing gum and baling wire.