Pariah

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

West Coast games run a bit late for my current sleep schedule.

I dunno, for me, trying to watch soccer is a great cure for insomnia, so if it's that late?  Perfect timing!

And when is soccer going to get rid of the stupid "stoppage time" and simply STOP THE GAME CLOCK like any sane person would do?  So people can, like, UNDERSTAND when a half is over.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

I dunno, for me, trying to watch soccer is a great cure for insomnia, so if it's that late?  Perfect timing!

And when is soccer going to get rid of the stupid "stoppage time" and simply STOP THE GAME CLOCK like any sane person would do?  So people can, like, UNDERSTAND when a half is over.

In soccer, the time is kept by the referee. He can stop his watch anytime he needs to for an injury, preparations for a corner kick or penalty kick, etc.  The NASLK in the 70's experimented with a system somewhat like yours, where the clock on the scoreboard was the official time left. Like many NASL inventions like dividing the field lengthwise in three sections as opposed to the two preferred in the rest of the world. None of these innovations caught on, and when the league folded they were largely forgotten.

I think stoppage time adds tension to close games. The team behind has a chance to salvage the draw, or a tie game can be resolved, IF the referee's watch doesn't expire.

Definition of Poor Scheduling Decision...

The South Korea womens' national soccer team played the US team.

It was Carli Lloyd's final game.  316 caps, Carli Lloyd.  2 time player of the year, Carli Lloyd.  One of the anchors of one of sport's great dynasties, Carli Lloyd.  

6-0, USA.  Duh.  

Hopefully the South Korean team got a nice paycheck for it.

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Hopefully the South Korean team got a nice paycheck for it.

Depends on what one considers a nice paycheck. 

The national team games fall into the National Team/FIFA arena and have nothing to do with professional league money.  The amount of money allocated is directly proportional to the revenue generated by the Woman's World Cup and events.  The last Woman's World Cup generated between $200 and $300 million (call it $300 million) with around $30 million in the prize package.  That leaves $270ish million to pay all the bills and support for the WC plus finance the next rounds of qualifiers and friendlies.  That is not a huge pot of money which is why FIFA leverages the Men's World Cup dollars to subsidize the women's competition.   The last Men's World Cup cleared $6 Billion with a prize package of over $400 Million (of which the US Men's Team did not participate, AGAIN). 

And the NWSL could not help if it wanted to.

In 2019 NWSL had 9 teams with the highest attendance being 25,218 and the lowest being 1,321, averaging 7,389 across 12 games per team in regular season. A total attendance of 798,056 for 2019

In 2019 MLS had 24 teams with the highest attendance being 72,548 and the lowest being 6,074, averaging 21,305 across 25 games per team in regular season. A total attendance of 8,676,109 for 2019.

Ticket sales for NWSL do not generate the income necessary for high dollar sports compensation packages.   And it is literally a treasure hunt to find a NWSL game Broadcast while MLS is easy to find with every game easy to find on the local market. 

It isn't a college sport financed with tax dollars and mandated equivalent pay and access.  This is commercial sports where available revenue is directly tied to attendance, broadcast contracts and merchandise. 

Popularity = revenue.

It is sad, but the NWSL and USWNT just do not have enough popularity. 

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

Interesting implications for all North American professional sports leagues:

NAACP urges pro athletes not to sign with Texas teams over voting and abortion laws

But if you're drafted by, say, the Cowboys, you have no leverage.  A draftee can, I believe, choose not to sign and re-enter the draft the next year, but that's extremely risky and very likely expensive.  This may influence some free agents;  we can hope so.  But that's probably not enough pressure to be all that meaningful.

What might have been better is to address...not the pro athletes...but the high school athletes.  Because top recruits ARE free agents until they've signed, and even after for a while.  It's possible but NOT guaranteed to back out of a letter of intent.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Texas universities' women's sports programs have a MUCH!!! harder time recruiting.

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

Good. 

Bradley Aldrich's name removed from Stanley Cup at Blackhawks owner's request following sexual abuse scandal

Having one's name on the Stanley Cup is a singular honor in the sport. I'm happy to know that his won't be on there any longer.

I know absolutely nothing about this beyond the linked article, but is it allegations or proven?  There have been a literal ton of accusations across the spectrum in the last couple of years with roughly half being revealed as false.

I have only recently started paying attention to hockey so the details are not something I am familiar with. 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:31 PM, Spence said:

I know absolutely nothing about this beyond the linked article, but is it allegations or proven?  There have been a literal ton of accusations across the spectrum in the last couple of years with roughly half being revealed as false.

I have only recently started paying attention to hockey so the details are not something I am familiar with. 

The scandal has already cost the head coaches to at least two NHL clubs their jobs, not just the coach of the Blackhawks (who was fired himself last week).  The blub's image hasbeen shaken to its foundations, and their on-ice performance has been horrid. This will take a while longer to fall out.

Imagine being a talented enough player to go in the first round of the draft, finally making it to the bigtime of the sport, and then to be met with such cruelty.  This man had his dream demolished because of the willingness of his team to cover up this sort of abuse. The suspicion is bad enough -- the reality could be oh-so-much worse. And the team's management has only itself to blame for the aftermath.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The scandal has already cost the head coaches to at least two NHL clubs their jobs, not just the coach of the Blackhawks (who was fired himself last week).  The blub's image hasbeen shaken to its foundations, and their on-ice performance has been horrid. This will take a while longer to fall out.

Imagine being a talented enough player to go in the first round of the draft, finally making it to the bigtime of the sport, and then to be met with such cruelty.  This man had his dream demolished because of the willingness of his team to cover up this sort of abuse. The suspicion is bad enough -- the reality could be oh-so-much worse. And the team's management has only itself to blame for the aftermath.

But....that doesn't answer the question of whether it actually occurred or is just an accusation. 

There have been a lot of nasty people finally get their due. 

But there have also been many who were villified and professionally destroyed that were innocent. 

Especially in the last few years where suspicion trumps evidence.

I believe in severe punishment for the guilty.  But I have also lost much of my trust in the media spectacle that passes for news these days.  I admit to  not spending much time to dig, but I have not found anything discussing the results of a trial or formal investigation.  All I've seen is outrage and condemnation.

Were all the charges proven?  No, but Aldrich pled guilty to criminal sexual contact with a student.  A *student*.  I'm freaking amazed they let him off easy;  this is often treated as statutory rape because of the privileged position a teacher possesses.  It might be that he was only a volunteer coach, so could sidestep that.  There's your fire.  If he's going to abuse THAT relationship, then the other incidents become far too plausible.  Details into internal investigations have not been disclosed, at least that I know of, but removing Aldrich from the Cup was requested by the owner of the Blackhawks.  The investigations presumably indicate things like "yes, this was reported at the time and we did nothing because it was the middle of the Cup run" simply because the current organization caved so fast.  Oh, and there were *multiple* incidents. several of which were reported many years ago.  I'll grant that in, say, the Watson case, there's always a chance that the charges are BS, but there's no reason for that to be the case about incidents a decade ago.

So I get the reticence, but I'd say it's most likely misplaced here.

Hm.  Two days ago the US Men's National Soccer Team hung a "Dos a cero" on Mexico (that is, beat them 2-0) in the Octagon; both goals came late.  (The Octagon is the 8-team double round robin tournament to decide which teams from CONCACAF go to the 2022 World Cup.)  Official USMNT page about the result.  The game was in Cincinnati.  USMNT now is technically in the lead in that tournament, though their lead over Mexico is only in goal differential (the two are tied on points).  Their next game in at Jamaica on Tuesday. 

At the NCAA cross country championships, runners from BYU won both the men's and women's individual titles. North Carolina State won the women's team title; Northern Arizona one the men's team title for the second consecutive year.

BYU's Whittni Orton caps collegiate career with title; Mantz repeats as men's champ

Honestly, I'd be fine if we didn't send athletes to events in countries like that (e.g., Winter Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar) until they start respecting at least basic principles of human rights and/or worker safety.

I'm not sure how much of a threat the USMNT is to make the 2022 World Cup anyway, but there it is. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Honestly, I'd be fine if we didn't send athletes to events in countries like that (e.g., Winter Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar) until they start respecting at least basic principles of human rights and/or worker safety.

I'm not sure how much of a threat the USMNT is to make the 2022 World Cup anyway, but there it is. 

Unfortunately, the US has its own trouble when it comes to respecting human rights and worker safety... 😕