Pariah

MASSIVE!!!!! 

Surprise.  Ash Barty has announced her retirement from women's tennis.  She's 25...and as far as I know, there's no injury issue.

3 Grand Slams. Current #1 in the world.  Just won the Aussie Open.

But:

“I know how much work it takes to bring the best out of yourself,” she said, later adding, “It’s just I don’t have that in me anymore. I don’t have the physical drive, the emotional want and kind of everything it takes to challenge yourself at the very top level anymore and I think I just know that I’m absolutely, I am spent.”

I can believe this completely.  I remember Mats Wilander some years ago...busted his backside, made #1...but decided he didn't care to keep it.  And that was before social media.

In hockey news...

The Las Vegas Golden Knights traded one of their forwards, Evgenii Dadanov, to Anaheim Monday.

There's only one...slight...problem.

Dadanov had a limited no-trade clause;  a list of 10 teams where he would not go.  Anaheim was one of them.

Now, to make this even more surreal, Dadanov was acquired in a trade from Ontario last summer.  Sources are saying that clause was not revealed to Vegas.  

The NHL cancelled the trade today.

In my book, both the Knights and Senators come off as total idiots.  The Senators will, I think, get hammered;  I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a high draft pick if they actively concealed it;  a lesser pick or a massive fine if their omission was more passive.  Their move is one that no sports league can tolerate.  OTOH, tho, the Knights had the rights, and thus the contract, on hand for the last 8 months, and they completely failed to review it properly.  It is plausible, I suppose, that they may have relied on statements by the Senators;  they might not have had full access to the contract before the trade was completed.  By the same token, those are filed, and by and large, the big sports broadcasters' people find out these details all the time.  There may or may not be a failure to execute due diligence before the trade...but there was absolutely such a failure after it.  The Knights front office comes across as amateurs.

Lance “Buddy” Franklin kicks 1000 career goals, 6th person is VFL/AFL history (125 years) to do so. I think this is his 19th year (18 playing). So massive achievement. 

Buddy brilliant! Lance Franklin mobbed after reaching historic 1000-goal milestone moment

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/buddy-brilliant-lance-franklin-mobbed-after-reaching-historic-1000goal-milestone-moment/news-story/79ae152e2c9f1e558966ce6dc8aa4334

On 3/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Bazza said:

Lance “Buddy” Franklin kicks 1000 career goals, 6th person is VFL/AFL history (125 years) to do so. I think this is his 19th year (18 playing). So massive achievement. 

Buddy brilliant! Lance Franklin mobbed after reaching historic 1000-goal milestone moment

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/buddy-brilliant-lance-franklin-mobbed-after-reaching-historic-1000goal-milestone-moment/news-story/79ae152e2c9f1e558966ce6dc8aa4334

That is incredible. The sheer number of people mobbing him.

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

That is incredible. The sheer number of people mobbing him.

Estimated to be in the thousands. It is a tradition in the sport that if you kick 100 goals in a season or another major milestone like 1000, the crowd runs on the oval. Last time the crowd ran on the oval was When Lance kicked 100 goals in a season about 15 years ago. 

For everyone else, this was the crowd:

American soccer fans are jubilant tonight after the USMNT qualified for the 2022 World Cup by losing 2-0 to Costa Rica.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Fearless

It's like the old ABBA song Waterloo: "And how could I ever refuse / I feel like I win when I lose..."

On 4/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, death tribble said:

Oxford won the Boat Race for the first time since 2017 (no edition in 2020 due to Covid)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rowing/60974951

The larger question is whether any of the police at the event are missing their hats.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, Bazza said:

Estimated to be in the thousands. It is a tradition in the sport that if you kick 100 goals in a season or another major milestone like 1000, the crowd runs on the oval. Last time the crowd ran on the oval was When Lance kicked 100 goals in a season about 15 years ago. 

For everyone else, this was the crowd:

That looks like it would be incredibly dangerous for the players, and the fans themselves, if things go wrong.

15 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Not the way they overcharge for beer 😛

Happy hour.

Oh wait, with Cleveland teams, that's an oxymoron, isn't it?  Well, OK, we all know the real function of happy hour is to drown your sorrows, so it still fits......

In golf...Tiger played...and shot 1 under to be 2 shots back and tied for 10th.  

And to show timing is everything......Denver University...a very small, private school in south Denver that you've never heard of unless you're a big time college hockey or lacrosse fan (they're VERY good at both) and Michigan (big bad arrogant Power 5 school) playing in the Frozen Four.  ESPN shows these.  Tied 2-2, end of regulation.  Got shunted from ESPN 2 to ESPNU and a Spanish-language broadcast on ESPN 3...basically, streaming.

So that'd been a while ago, and the game was still going.  Well, OK, sudden death is always fun.  Spanish...oh, missed that.  Tried ESPNU...but it's not included on Xfinity.  Drat.  OK, fine.  Switch back to ESPN3.  

Goalie stops a shot...but the rebound is smacked home!!!!  JUST as I switch.  Denver beats Michigan.  QUITE delightful.  

I grew up watching a lot of DU hockey. I got to see a couple of their rivalry games, against Colorado College (~40 miles down the road in Colorado Springs) and North Dakota. At the time (i.e., before the mascot change) DU fans would often derisively refer to the UND hockey team as "the boys named Sioux". 

This was in the days before Denver had an NHL team, of course. Or, more properly, in the days when Denver had their first NHL team, which had previously been known as the Kansas City Scouts, was then known as the Colorado Rockies, and is now known as the New Jersey Devils.

The [Denver] Pioneers are going for their ninth national title; Minnesota State is playing in the championship game for the first time. The puck drops at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2. 

A follow-up to the item above, as Minnesota State has beaten Minnesota 5-1 in the other semifinal.

Go Pioneers!