The January 2022 Impromptu Superdraft!

Pariah

What the hell.  I’m gonna take the ruminate/reflect concept and make it real.    
   The underlying theme of my story is the question “Does superior ability HAVE to mean superior ambition?”

All of the main players in my list have some kind of genetic or intellectual advantage.  Even Cody Jarrett has a strange vitality that sustains him and keeps him from succumbing to injury.  But the heroes of the story each turned away from a path of conquest or personal gain in order to help their fellow man.

In Star Trek the idea of any type of augmented humanity is feared because of the belief that it will always lead to the tyranny of the superior against their weaker brethren. But if people as diverse as Clark Savage, Mandrake, Margo Lane and Kal-El who was raised with the Kent’s human values could turn away from that darker path, then perhaps there is hope for their world.

I’ve said that if I can’t create a narrative for these lists then it’s no fun for me......And that I overthink things sometimes.

Only three picks left!

The pick for Monday, January 17th: Cannon Fodder (final Villain pick)

One thing that all heroes have in common: they beat up the villains. Today you will select the poor schmucks who find themselves on the receiving end of the heroic beatdown. They're not masterminds, and they're not lieutenants. They're the pawns that get moved around (and often sacrificed) as part of the evil master plan. Maybe they have names and maybe they don't, it doesn't really matter either way. 

Enjoy!

In 1933 Heinz Spanknöbel (real name) received permission from Rudolph Hess to create The German American Bund. An official branch of the Nazi Party. From there enclave towns sprang up across the U.S.A. filled with those who supported Hitler and his ideals. They would have rally’s in Madison Square Garden, with banners of George Washington and Adolph Hitler and proud marches down the city streets of Chicago and N.Y.C.

These were tolerated from the ‘30’s up until the attack on Pearl Harbor and America’s entrance into the war.

From here come the agents who search for the Spear of Destiny on behalf of the Reich.  A seemingly inexhaustible supply of shock troops and cannon fodder. Unable to defeat our heroes one on one.  But if fighting en masse, they could win the battle the same way as a pack of hyenas will take down a lion.

AMERICAN NAZIS    (REAL LIFE)    

(In the words of Jake Blues...”I hate those guys.”)

Born Duvid Jacob Fortunov in New York’s lower East side in the early 1900’s his rough and tumble boyhood gave him both the fighting skills and the good heart needed to become a great adventurer. When he was only 20 he foiled the plans of some local mobsters and decided to leave the city for his own safety.

Traveling to Los Angeles he changed his name to Dominic Fortune and soon became the bodyguard to a featured actress of one of the major studios. After taking his job literally and knocking out the head of the studio when he tried to assault the young lady, he once again decided that getting the hell out of Dodge was the better part of valor.  This time signing onto a tramp steamer setting off for the Far East.

After years of adventures and wandering and feeling homesick Dominic decide to take a last minute job as security for some artifacts being sent from Marrakech to New York.  What he didn’t know was that most of the so-called security were being paid to help steal the most important item....The Spear of Destiny.

Upon reaching N.Y. harbor the thieves made their move but didn’t reckon with the strong right hook and deadly aim of the brave defender. As a last ditch effort to keep the prize from their hands Dominic dove overboard with it swimming to the docks and melting into the night.  Not knowing who to trust or which way to turn.

Now a three-way chase begins, a phalanx of heroes against a horde of Nazis and the Deadly Dacoits.

DOMINIC FORTUNE    (Bronze Age Comic Books)

Dominic Fortune created by Howard Chaykin   Marvel Comics 

25 minutes ago, Tjack said:

DOMINIC FORTUNE    (Bronze Age Comic Books)

Dominic Fortune created by Howard Chaykin   Marvel Comics 

Nice! I based one of my longest-running Champions character's costume on his.