March 2022 Superdraft: the Big Toys Draft

Cancer

I'm behind on my picks, so I will do a few in quick succession.
---

"So that you are not distracted with menial tasks, we are providing you with a Series 4000 service mechanoid."

one nonliving* robot, android, or other sentient artificial nonliving character, though it may not be easy to distinguish from a living being

Kryten, from Red Dwarf.

NB: There are two picks in this post.
---

"Here is something you may need."

"It's a weapon?"

"It's a mining gun, designed to blow apart rocks and ores. But it can be used as a weapon, for self-preservation. We borrowed it from the Jupiter Mining Corporation."

---
one ranged personal weapon

A Bazookoid, from Red Dwarf.

(OK, that's two Red Dwarf picks. Unfortunate, but they were both highly appropriate, and I couldn't decide between them.)

---

"In case you need to travel through water, or be miniaturized and injected into a human body, we have provided you with a small submarine."

---

one Water Vehicle.
The Proteus, from Fantastic Voyage.

End of the quarter still approaching so I am still busy as all get out.  Hope to update the roster post (2nd post in teh thread) in about 12 hours.  If that doesnt' happen, then it won't get updated until Saturday.

Timezones are confusing, but I think I'm still a pick behind, and now we're on two picks a day, so...

TWO picks in this post.
---

"To protect you from the deadly Joke, we have provided you with the ultimate in sonic protection."

one FREE option

The Cone of Silence (Get Smart)

---

"But of course, you will also need something more portable..."

one other item of personal equipment

An Energy Dome (Devo)

9 hours ago, Asperion said:

Should we make him the Ultimate Repulser?

He's the Ultimate Host! (In his own mind.)

---------/ Anti-post merging divider/-----------------------------------------

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

What's a bayard?

It's somewhat bigger than a lagoonard.

But not as big as a gulfard.

Hope that helps.

58 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Book, scroll, tome, map, database, recording, or similar read-only fixed-content knowledge store: Post, Emily (1922). Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home.

Il Galateo: Italian Manners and Etiquette | ITALY Magazine

But Italians who really care about 'proper manners' often refer to the Italian 'Bible' of good manners, "Il Galateo overo de’ costumi", a treatise of polite behaviour written by poet, writer and diplomat Giovanni Della Casa (28 July 1503 – 14 November 1556) in 1558 for the benefit of his nephew, a young Florentine destined for greatness.

In a style that is colloquial and lively, Della Casa instructs him on what to do, and what to avoid doing, in order to be considered appealing, sophisticated, and polite. From the time of its publication, this courtesy book has enjoyed enormous success and influence. It was particularly popular during the Renaissance, and, within two years of its publication in Venice in 1558, editions appeared also in Milan, Rome, Florence and Bologna. It was later received with enthusiasm in France, Spain, Germany and England. Still considered the most celebrated etiquette book in European history, [my emphasis] this is a manual many Italians continue to regard as the guide to polite behaviour and to a respectful existence, even if they have never read it.

The University of Chicago Press has recently published a new edition, translated by M.F. Rusnak, claiming that Galateo continues to be useful today as it was in the Renaissance, as it deals with subjects as varied as dress codes, eating habits, the art of conversation and literary language that are still of great interest. As Rusnak's edition points out in the introduction, far from being a book on table manners and 'place settings' or bridesmaids' gifts, Galateo is a "conduct manual, a viable tourist guide to acting Italian in Italy, and a learned analysis of literary Language".

https://resources.warburg.sas.ac.uk/pdf/enh830b2128661.pdf 

I have the University of Chicago Press edition. Will read it someday.