March 2022 Superdraft: the Big Toys Draft

Cancer

"Big Toys" Superdraft

f32b49f7e1b4e49e37b18f1ca6511f29.jpg

This draft focuses on things rather than characters.  There is a single human character, and a maybe-close-to-human robot or android, and then a free option pick which could be a living character.  The rest is stuff.

All picks are exclusive.  No restrictions on source material, other than currently living real people are not eligible to be drafted in any category, even the free option.  Currently existing hardware is, however, permitted.

The twelve things to be picked:

• one home base, which must be anchored to the ground or space-time or something.  While it might be in a fixed orbit, or be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere, such "motility" is highly restricted.  As an example: Deep Space 9 is a base, but Enterprise NCC-1701 is a starship.

• one Spaceship or Aircraft

• one Land Vehicle.  A horse or similar living mountbeast does not qualify here, but a robotic one could.

• one Water Vehicle.  Similar comment about living creatures being disqualified.

• one ranged personal weapon

• one melee personal weapon

• one other item of personal equipment (armor, sensory apparatus, fly-belt, love philtre, universally useful trinket, nonsentient computer, food/drink synthesizer, whatever)

• one magic spell, incantation, mathematical theorem, or similar created tool/weapon/capacity with no material component

• one book, scroll, tome, map, database, recording, or similar read-only fixed-content knowledge store.

• one nonliving* robot, android, or other sentient artificial nonliving character, though it may not be easy to distinguish from a living being

• one inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character.  This is your nominal hero, and must be a living* biological creature, though not necessarily human

• one free option ... possible uses include a sidekick, or perhaps a hero who uses a bunch of this stuff, could be another spiffy piece of equipment that doesn't fit easily into any of the above slots, or perhaps you want a second battleship or something, or maybe your hero wants to ride a horse (and a living horse does not qualify as a Land Vehicle).  Creative uses of the option pick are encouraged.  The free option cannot be among the first six items picked.

Items which might fit in multiple slots must have their slot specified at the time of the pick.  Clearest example here is Yamato, which could be a water vehicle or could be a space vehicle (via Space Battleship Yamato), but which slot it goes in must be specified in the pick.

Special rules:

• There is no requirement on what your first pick must be.
  • The free option cannot be taken in the first six picks.
  • Other than the restriction on the free option, items may be picked in any order.
  • "Living" and "nonliving" are vague and general here, but the distinction really is between sentient, self-controlled creatures who result from natural or perhaps unnatural processes, versus other things that were specifically created by living things.  For instance, I classify vampires and other free undead creatures as "living" for the purpose of this draft.  For other oddball cases, I'll have to consider how they appear in their source material.  (E.g.: probably I would classify Ultron as living for this draft, for example.)  PM me if you have doubts.
  • Title, fiction, and theme music are encouraged but not required.  These do not require picks, and can be declared at any time.
  • Individual items can't be duplicated, but multiple distinct items of the same time are permitted to be picked by different people.  As an example: If I pick Luke Skywalker's lightsaber, that still leaves Yoda's lightsaber, and Darth Maul's double-ended lightsaber, etc., available.
  • As a specific prohibition, however, the various Lantern Corps power rings are single picks.  The different colors are different items for the purposes of this draft, but, e.g., all of the green power rings count as one item (so picking any of the rings of Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, etc., locks out all the others).
  • As a clarification, only the inventor character and the free option are allowed to be living creatures.  Only the inventor character is required to be a living creature.
  • Please identify the source material for the item whenever you make a pick.  The DIPWAD (Draft Initiator Pundit With All Dominion) is not as well-informed about a lot of source matter as many others on these boards.

Draft starts Thursday, March 3, 9AM PST, noon EST, 1700 UT.  One pick per day for the first six days.  After that (i.e., starting March 9), two picks per day.  We will draft on the weekends.  If the draft is still ongoing as of March 13, the daily pick time turns into 9AM PDT or noon EDT, or 1600 UT.

Amalgamated Rosters  ----- last updated 1405 PST 8 March 2022

Drafter:

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle:
  • ranged personal weapon:
  • melee personal weapon:
  • other personal equipment:
  • no material component item:
  • read-only fixed-content knowledge store:
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character:
  • free option:

------------------------
assault

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle:
  • melee personal weapon:
  • no material component item: Funniest Joke in the World (Monty Python)
  • read-only fixed-content knowledge store: Hitchhiker;s Guide to the Galaxy
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Barbarella
  • free option:

------------------------
Bazza

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle: Luke's Landspeeder (Star Wars)
  • Water Vehicle: TARDIS (Doctor Who)
  • ranged personal weapon: Mjolnir (Marvel)
  • melee personal weapon:
  • other personal equipment: Batman's utility belt
  • nonliving* robot/etc: BB-8 (Star Wars)
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Bruce Wayne
  • free option:

------------------------
csyphrett

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft: Skylark (Doc Smith)
  • Land Vehicle: a Bolo (Keith Laumer)
  • Water Vehicle: Autilus (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
  • ranged personal weapon: Green Lantern power ring
  • melee personal weapon:
  • no material component item: John Taylor's third eye
  • nonliving* robot/etc: FESS from The Warlock in Spite of Himself
  • free option:

------------------------
Death Tribble

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft: Thunderbird 2
  • Land Vehicle: the Ogre (boardgame)
  • Water Vehicle: Seaview (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea)
  • ranged personal weapon: pistol-grip hand phaser (Star Trek)
  • melee personal weapon: Stormbringer
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Benicio del Toro, the Collector
  • free option:

------------------------
Logan.1179:

• home base: The Library
  • Spaceship/Aircraft: Flying Carpet (Aladdin)
  • Land Vehicle: Batmobile
  • Water Vehicle: Yellow Submarine
  • ranged personal weapon: Proton Pack
  • melee personal weapon:
  • no material component item: The Word of God (Preacher series)
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • free option:

------------------------
Old Man:

• home base: Death Star
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle:
  • ranged personal weapon: Sonic Screwdriver
  • melee personal weapon: Stormbreaker
  • other personal equipment: the One Ring
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Victor von Doom
  • free option:

------------------------

Pariah:

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle:
  • melee personal weapon: Gwyndala's Heirloom (Star Trek: Prodigy)
  • other personal equipment: Federation tricorder
  • no material component item: the Anti-Life Equation
  • read-only fixed-content knowledge store: Encyclopedia Galactica
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Dr. Eleanor Arroway
  • free option:

------------------------
Pattern Ghost:

• home base: Fantasy Island
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle: Love Boat
  • ranged personal weapon: Tasp
  • melee personal weapon: The Sword of a Thousand Truths (South Park)
  • no material component item: 3X2(9YZ)4A (Johnny Quick's speed formula)
  • nonliving* robot/etc:
  • free option:

------------------------
Psybolt

• home base: Justice League Watchtower
  • Spaceship/Aircraft: Spaceball One
  • Land Vehicle:
  • Water Vehicle:
  • melee personal weapon:
  • other personal equipment: Greatest American Hero super suit
  • nonliving* robot/etc: Marvin, the Paranoid Android
  • inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character: Dr. Horrible
  • free option:

------------------------
Sociotard

• home base:
  • Spaceship/Aircraft:
  • Land Vehicle: Fractal Harness (Magic the Gathering)
  • Water Vehicle:
  • melee personal weapon:
  • read-only fixed-content knowledge store: Kryptonian memory crystal
  • nonliving* robot/etc: Dkrtzy RRR
  • free option:

------------------------

I have a kind of idea, as long as I can weasel around
"one magic spell, incantation, mathematical theorem, or similar created tool/weapon/capacity with no material component".

I'm not sure how that fits in. There's probably an answer.

If I can find it, I'm in.

But there could be bewbz.

Well, PM me if you want to ask about something specific.

My purpose there was to make a spot to allow magic spells (e.g., "Expelliarmus!" out of the Harry Potter-verse) and whatnot if someone wants to go the fantasy route rather than the superhero or steampunk or sci-fi route.  This is also the bin, for instance, where a piece of killer software would go, if you're interested in a modern or postmodern sort of lineup.

I know I did badly in February, but I'm going to try extra hard to finish this one.

with no material component: Berryman Logical Image Technique aka Basilisk (BLIT by David Langford)

of course, the Parrot could be turned into a stencil, but at the core it is just a bit of information.

5 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I know I did badly in February, but I'm going to try extra hard to finish this one.

with no material component: Berryman Logical Image Technique aka Basilisk (BLIT by David Langford)

of course, the Parrot could be turned into a stencil, but at the core it is just a bit of information.

I hadn't heard of this before. Looks like an interesting story. I'll have to see if I can find a copy.

Home base: The Library. That's THE Library, as first seen in "The Librarian: Quest for the Spear." 

The 'Library' has existed at least since ancient times, and houses both magical and powerful relics. The 'Library' itself appears to be sentient (or semi-sentient), and sends out invitations to prospective Librarians and Guardians.

The 'Library' exists in its own pocket universe and in ancient times the entrance to the 'Library' was located in the Library of Alexandria, and the entrance had been located in the New York Public Library in New York City until 2014.

The 'Library' has a large collections annex, and a service entrance. Although there can only ever be one entrance to the main 'Library', there are sites around the world that provide entrances to the Library Annex, giving access to the books of the Library, but not to the relics.

22 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Home base: The Library. That's THE Library, as first seen in "The Librarian: Quest for the Spear." 

The 'Library' has existed at least since ancient times, and houses both magical and powerful relics. The 'Library' itself appears to be sentient (or semi-sentient), and sends out invitations to prospective Librarians and Guardians.

The 'Library' exists in its own pocket universe and in ancient times the entrance to the 'Library' was located in the Library of Alexandria, and the entrance had been located in the New York Public Library in New York City until 2014.

The 'Library' has a large collections annex, and a service entrance. Although there can only ever be one entrance to the main 'Library', there are sites around the world that provide entrances to the Library Annex, giving access to the books of the Library, but not to the relics.

Close call - nearly sniped!

The twelve things to be picked:

• one home base, which must be anchored to the ground or space-time or something.  While it might be in a fixed orbit, or be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere, such "motility" is highly restricted.  As an example: Deep Space 9 is a base, but Enterprise NCC-1701 is a starship.

• one Spaceship or Aircraft

• one Land Vehicle.  A horse or similar living mountbeast does not qualify here, but a robotic one could.

• one Water Vehicle.  Similar comment about living creatures being disqualified.

• one ranged personal weapon

• one melee personal weapon

• one other item of personal equipment (armor, sensory apparatus, fly-belt, love philtre, universally useful trinket, nonsentient computer, food/drink synthesizer, whatever)

• John Taylor's third eye. (From the Night Side, this is Taylor's ability to find things, even weaknesses in shields.)  

• one book, scroll, tome, map, database, recording, or similar read-only fixed-content knowledge store.

• one nonliving* robot, android, or other sentient artificial nonliving character, though it may not be easy to distinguish from a living being

• one inventor/artificer/gadgeteer character.  This is your nominal hero, and must be a living* biological creature, though not necessarily human

• one free option ... possible uses include a sidekick, or perhaps a hero who uses a bunch of this stuff, could be another spiffy piece of equipment that doesn't fit easily into any of the above slots, or perhaps you want a second battleship or something, or maybe your hero wants to ride a horse (and a living horse does not qualify as a Land Vehicle).  Creative uses of the option pick are encouraged.  The free option cannot be among the first six items picked.