How to Build: Oneway Silent Communication

mky7

I'm trying to make a silent ninja character. The idea is that even though he doesn't speak, he can still respond by staring back at them and using minimal body language. Anyone observing the conversation that can see him immediately understands what he's getting at.

Example Conversation:

Blaster: VIPER has abducted the mayor! What's our plan team?

Brick:  Those snakes can't hurt me. I'll charge right in there!

Silent Ninja: ...

Brick: Reckless? What do you mean?

Silent Ninja (with a more serious expression):  ....  

Brick: VIPER's got Grond with them!?

Silent Ninja: *nods, then closes his eyes*

Blaster: You've got a plan, Ninja? Well alright, I'm all ears.

Silent Ninja: *slowly opens his eyes, a smirk forming under his mask* ...

Blaster: Plan E? That's crazy!

Brick: But it just might work.

Blaster: Fine, but if something goes wrong I'm blaming you.

Silent Ninja: *shrugs*

I would probably give this a little more though about how it works.  Using hand signals and body language would not be able to transmit that much information to anyone seeing him without it being some sort of mystic ability.   

It could be done as a 1-point language, but then anyone who wanted to be able to understand it would need to purchase the language.  This is actually not a bad idea as it would allow for secure communication between the party.  If you don’t understand a language, it is nearly impossible to intercept the communication.  That was one reason that America used Navajo as a code during World War II.   Unless the language is related to another language the person understand you cannot translate or understand anything.

You could also build this as a mind link with the appropriate addders.  

@IndianaJoe3 I'm trying to model it because they can't understand him if they can't see him. In essence, what i'm trying to give him is Speech, Invisible to Hearing Group, but Obvious to Sight Group. I just don't know how to do that. I like the language skill idea, but then others would need to take the language as well. Skills can be built as powers though. Is Language: Tactical Hand Signals, Usable on Other legal?

@LoneWolf It is a mystical ability. He's using his ki to project his current intentions to those that can perceive him (whether he's aware of them or not, so anyone eavesdropping on the conversation would "hear" what the ninja is saying, provided they see the him). It's an ability that is intrinsic to his ninja training. 

In Champions Now! this would be a zero point "power". It adds flavor to the character and doesn't attack, move, or defend in itself. You could just give him this power for no points if you wish, and says it works the way you envision it.

Me? My idea for the power? Mind Link, Mental Powers Based On CON, Gestures should do it.

Sounds like it would also be visible to mental.  Just do it as a physical complication.  It would probably be infrequently, barely impairing.  That would make it 5pts.  All it does is change the sense groups for speech.  

This would mean that the character is incapable of normal speech.  

So, if I understand correctly, the idea is that the ninja only communicates through looks and body language and no other way. Also, anybody can understand the ninja’s ‘communication’ even if they have never met or seen the ninja before.

if this is indeed the case, I might just take a 5 point Physical Complication of “Must be seen to communicate.”

3 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Sounds like it would also be visible to mental.  Just do it as a physical complication.  It would probably be infrequently, barely impairing.  That would make it 5pts.  All it does is change the sense groups for speech.  

This would mean that the character is incapable of normal speech.  

Oops. I didn’t notice your post when I made my similar suggestion.  Great minds think alike.

21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I also agree that you can use the language skill, and set up a couple different levels if you want to go that deep.  For simplicity, 1 or possibly 2 point language would work just fine, I'd think.

I agree with this.  If it has a relatively limited "vocabulary" (like the tactical hand signals), then I'd probably just make it a 1 CP Language (like a single dialect) for up to about 50 concepts, or 2 CP if it's more than 50, but still a defined, finite group of concepts. If it can convey any sort of concept, then I'd make it 3 CP (equivalent to "fluent with accent").

@LoneWolf, @rjcurrie I think i'll go with the Complication idea you two suggested. The ninja is a mute anyway, so being incapable of normal speech works out well.

Something like this:

Physical Complication: Must be seen to communicate ("Voice" perceived by Sight and Mental group instead of Hearing group) (Infrequently, Barely Impairing)