The Magus University Superdraft

22 hours ago, Psybolt said:

Option #1:  Distinguished alumni :  Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Droll, considering my Star Student pick. Well, the Institute does have time travel...

Professor Holst said, "Magister, I admit I'm a little concerned. He's diligent -- brilliant, even, and knows how to hit the books when it suits him -- and it's impressive how he's adapted Hermetic musical theory to, ah, 'shred the guitar..' But he seems... high strung. Anger management issues. I wonder if a young man who wants to be called 'ripper.' is really a good fit. Are we creating the next Scriabin?"

Paolini smiled and waved a hand. "It's a phase. I have every confidence he'll outgrow it and we'll all be pleased with the Magus he becomes. He might even teach, someday. Or become a librarian, Bob says. Time will tell."

Star Pupil: Young Rupert Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080523015738/buffy/images/d/d8/Ripper.jpg

(Pooh, it won't paste in the picture. Oh, well.)

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

The Greater Chickamauga College of Magical Healing

Option: Campus Highlight: A Holy Grail

"I told them we've already got one"

ed082288380da2b5652bf2944986a371.jpg

So will the staff of Castle Anthrax be there to operate it?

On a separate issue with this draft, I need at least one and preferably two more option slots.  And if I can't have 'em, I'm willing to share ideas about how I'd use 'em.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

On a separate issue with this draft, I need at least one and preferably two more option slots.  And if I can't have 'em, I'm willing to share ideas about how I'd use 'em.

I'm actually thinking about extending the draft to end next Friday instead of mid-week. How does that sound to everyone else? 

I'm having no problems: The challenge is having too many ideas than too few. Well, some might not fit well with the Superdraft concept as they are only glancingly related to anything pre-existing, the way I turned an obscure 16th-century Hermetic writer into a demi-Time Lord. And a fair number would actually work better for other departments. But if other people want more time, I can use it to refine the concepts for my last two picks.

Dean Shomshak

6 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Clarification: I mean adding more picks. We were due to end the draft next Tuesday, but we're going so strong I was going to suggest picking till next Friday. Everyone would get three more picks to flesh out their draft and by extension the University. 

I'm good with this

4 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Droll, considering my Star Student pick. Well, the Institute does have time travel...

Professor Holst said, "Magister, I admit I'm a little concerned. He's diligent -- brilliant, even, and knows how to hit the books when it suits him -- and it's impressive how he's adapted Hermetic musical theory to, ah, 'shred the guitar..' But he seems... high strung. Anger management issues. I wonder if a young man who wants to be called 'ripper.' is really a good fit. Are we creating the next Scriabin?"

Paolini smiled and waved a hand. "It's a phase. I have every confidence he'll outgrow it and we'll all be pleased with the Magus he becomes. He might even teach, someday. Or become a librarian, Bob says. Time will tell."

Star Pupil: Young Rupert Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080523015738/buffy/images/d/d8/Ripper.jpg

(Pooh, it won't paste in the picture. Oh, well.)

Dean Shomshak

I guess the young Rupert Giles now becomes the student while the Slayer is the Master.

51 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Clarification: I mean adding more picks. We were due to end the draft next Tuesday, but we're going so strong I was going to suggest picking till next Friday. Everyone would get three more picks to flesh out their draft and by extension the University. 

Thunderous applause.  In response to this, I can say:

There WILL be mud wrasslin!!

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

No objections here. 

"Wait, I thought she was sent to ..."

"Prison. Yes. But she's using a University homunculus to avoid doing the time herself. So, we get her services on the cheap. Plus she reminds the undergrads that misrepresentation will get you far, but only so far."

The Grad Student: Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos Founder, Blood Mage)

Sociotard_Elizabeth_Holmes_using_blood_m

Counting on getting more option picks, the Department of Modern Urban Magics drafts, with its third option, a third professor.

(And I am utterly stunned that this guy hasn't been drafted earlier.)

A third faculty member: Prof. Harry Dresden, specialties of Urban Magic & the Law, and Intertradition Relations & Politics

----

At this point the Dept of MUM have a Star Pupil and a university staff member yet to be picked in the original draft list.  Counting on at least one more additional option that we can pick.

The Grad Student often served as a teaching assistant as well on Campus. She rather liked mentoring and hoped to be a professor herself one day, but she was kept busy. Rather than the isolation and confinement of her last 'home', here she had a lot of ground to cover and a lot of people to check with. The professors were kind, or at least polite, but for a department with the word 'collaborative' in its name they really did seem clueless at times what the others were doing. This meant she got paperwork from Doctor Sparkle, odd jobs from Professor Rogers, and tasks from Professor Spock often all at the same time leaving her a little overloaded. Some students often found her more approachable since she was closer to their age. Fortunately, since she came here, she had discovered coffee.

Recently she had done battle with the Bursar. If by battle one meant arguing to the point of force magic slams to shake him until some funding came out that wouldn't cost one's soul. That man was so frustrating at times, fifteen minutes with that rotted grasping wretch and ANYONE might be at risk of demonic possession. Well, not here, that's not how things worked here. Thankfully. 

She remembered her older brother complaining about being sent on one quest after another. She'd joined him for a few of those more than once before she was discovered and taken into custody for ' her own good and the safety of others'. Given how things went there, she didn't envy him. If not for his friends, the tragedies endured would have been even worse. That's one reason she chose to specialize in Amicitia-Mancy for her grad work, that and education. Magic could be dangerous, and every mage needed anchors and a safety net of social support. Mind you, she had quests of her own here, but she didn't mind really...

"ma'am?" It was Walter, who often blushed if he realized he was staring at her.

"Yes, Walter?" She smiled at the Freshman indulgently.

"Someone has lit a grail shaped beacon on top of one of the Bros? It's attracting Knights again. The School of healing students say it isn't their doing, we asked a Misdirection student and they started protesting Profiling.... I may have to attend a sensitivity course?"

Bethany rubbed at her forehead. On the other hand, there was something to be said for simple solutions like fireballs. No no... she was here to teach folks how to get along, "Well, we worry about who put it up there later. I'll go get it down first and solve that problem for now."

And off she went, what was one more quest?

Grad Student Pick: Bethany Hawke (From Dragon Age II video game)

ce49b909bd926c72d8450c7424fb75b4--dragon

(BTW, I actually like a lot about the Dragon Age II video game, but the darn thing ends like a Greek Tragedy pretty much no matter how you play it, so I got Bethany the hell OUT of Kirkwall  via this draft. If you've played it, you know I'm doing Andraste's work by doing so)

I had considered Harry Dresden for my Grad Student, but then what about Bob? Even if I used the TV version instead, it felt... awkward.

So instead: Why should DT be the only one to recruit from the Champions Universe? When she isn't fighting villains and miscellaneous Forces of Evil, Witchcraft improves her skills at the Paolini Academy.

It's sometimes a little annoying having another grad student Bethany. but they manage.

Page 71 of The Mystic World has a decent picture of Witchcraft performing Hermetic ritual magic. I'd post it, but it does not seem to exist online. And the few images of the Champions Online version of Witchcraft were, eh, uninspiring.

To compensate, later I'll try to post a few examples of what a Hermetic Magus can do with a 30-point VPP. Maybe later tonight, or on Sunday. (Not Saturday, I have gaming then.) Not additional entries, but supplemental to this one. Okay with that, Logan?

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Counting on getting more option picks, the Department of Modern Urban Magics drafts, with its third option, a third professor.

(And I am utterly stunned that this guy hasn't been drafted earlier.)

A third faculty member: Prof. Harry Dresden, specialties of Urban Magic & the Law, and Intertradition Relations & Politics

----

At this point the Dept of MUM have a Star Pupil and a university staff member yet to be picked in the original draft list.  Counting on at least one more additional option that we can pick.

I came this close to taking Harry earlier :)

40 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The Greater Chickamauga College of Magical Healing

The Grad Student: Korra

"I needed to understand what real suffering was, so I could become more compassionate to others.  Your turn."

Well Aang will clearly be visiting the healing areas if allowed ;)

1 minute ago, DShomshak said:

I had considered Harry Dresden for my Grad Student, but then what about Bob? Even if I used the TV version instead, it felt... awkward.

So instead: Why should DT be the only one to recruit from the Champions Universe? When she isn't fighting villains and miscellaneous Forces of Evil, Witchcraft improves her skills at the Paolini Academy.

It's sometimes a little annoying having another grad student Bethany. but they manage.

Heh. Sorry, I was pretty sure Bethany Hawke was in no danger of being sniped. Funny thing is, they could call her Hawke but they'd she'd look around for her sibling as that was what most folks called him ;)

(or her, if you made a female Hawke to play)

I'm sure they'll work something out.

1 minute ago, death tribble said:

Star Pupil

Alex Summers aka Havok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_(comics)

I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you after responding to others

Rosters updated.

We're extending the draft! We are dark this weekend*, but we'll pick all next week Mon-Fri starting 1 pm Eastern. Note the time change this weekend!

All of the extra picks will be options. I didn't want to throw restrictions on extra selections. 

* You can still make up picks if you're behind, of course.