June 2023 Superdraft: Get Your Ship Together 

Pariah

On 6/6/2023 at 7:18 PM, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Clarification: Does that mean Kang is gone?

Kang is ... complicated. There are so many iterations of him that are technically different characters...ish. He's kind of like The Doctor in that respect. So, as we have generally allowed different Doctors in past Superdrafts, I will say that different versions of Kang (especially those with different names -- Immortus, Rama-Tut, Iron Lad, etc.) will be allowed. And the usual Supergirl / Power Girl exception remains in place as well.

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

It was an odd thing being aristocracy by default. So many millionaires , even billionaires, had lost their fortunes overnight twelve years ago. Stocks crumbling, digital assets gone, and technological investments awash. Printed money was increasingly refused by some.

The castle had been a part of another plan. A quirky one to be sure, with great payoff. When technology died, however, it became something else, a sign of nobility in older form. David was amused by it. Of course, the gold bars and gemstones he'd kept had proven to be useful as well. Now, he was , for all intents and purposes, an aristocrat in a newly re-fuedalising world.

Not that he was stupid enough to call himself Baron or anything; not yet. Rather he bought loyalty, portrayed rivals as tyrant want a bes, who only he could stop. Wealth he had, but it was nothing compared to the power he once held in a world of technology. He needed a substitute avenue. And, fortunately, he'd always been open minded enough to find one. Magic was real.

"Sir," His assistant said, "Communication is difficult, but the ship is underway. Our spy is on board the Skidbladnir as you wished. But I don't understand."

David gave an indulgent smile, "What is it you don't understand? A spy onboard is good policy when you try to keep of a flying ship, don't you think?"

"Oh yes sir, that's not the part I don't understand. You want to get a monopoly on magic. The ship is magic, it's invaluable. It can get you across the world. Yet you didn't seize it. You didn't take it. That's what confuses me. You even supported 'Captain' Gates endeavors. Why not just seize the ship?"

"Good question," David admitted then explained, "For the same reason you don't munch on the seeds when you hope to reap a huge harvest. Gates is an eccentric. He's so idealistic as to border on being a fool. He's also the one lunatic who might be able to find the various items of myth he seeks in record time. Something it would take me years to do in person and would cost me my power base here.  Now, I wait. He returns not just with the ship, but other relics of myth I can use. I already have leverage of more than one of his crew to make sure his quest is a success, but the prizes? Those will be mine."

"Loss Leader policy, with magic," The assistant said impressed, "Excellent work sir. Wait, you said more than one of his crew. We only placed one spy. Who is the other? They others seemed quite warm to their captain. What could possibly make them betray him?"

"Now now, that's my secret. Besides, you know me. I always try to make sure that even when it looks like I'm losing, I'm getting something out of it. As for why my fallback would betray him? I always said 'Pay a man enough, he'll walk barefoot through hell'. Imagine what someone will do if you pay them in hope?"

"You never cease to surprise me, Mr. Xanatos" His assistant said.

"Good, if you can't figure me out, let's hope Captain Gates is even more clueless..." David Xanatos smiled. He didn't need to be a King to rule. A title without actual power was nothing. And Vanity, like Revenge, could be a sucker's game.

Option: David Xanatos (Gargoyles TV series)

Because every story needs a villain who is determined to save the world too... on his own terms, of course.

xanatos4-jpg.36025

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Had to look these up.  Neat!  And also scary!

And remember, they are on the Death Star with Ex-Borg (and one Brainic) carrying the Allspark as cargo. What would happen if the Replicators were influenced by the Allspark? Or to put a finer point to it..what happens when the Allspark evolves the DEATH STAR and it gains sentience? :winkgrin:

1 minute ago, Bazza said:

And remember, they are on the Death Star with Ex-Borg (and one Brainic) carrying the Allspark as cargo. What would happen if the Replicators were influenced by the Allspark? Or to put a finer point to it..what happens when the Allspark evolves the DEATH STAR and it gains sentience? :winkgrin:

What happens when the replicators start replicating Death Stars?  It's Death Stars all the way down!