What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I've just finished The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, which is the first of three tales featuring Thursday Next, LiteraTec SpecOps agent. It's set in an alternate universe where Shakespeare is a household name and literature is revered. Also, time travel and cloning exist. The favorite pet of choice is a dodo.

It was wonderful fun to read, and I recommend it, especially to those who enjoy literature. I recommend reading Jane Eyre, first, if you haven't.

Just finished two books, White Knight by Jim Butcher and Brother Odd by Dean Koontz.

White Knight was another Harry Dresden roller-coaster but I noticed it was a bit more mellow a ride than the first several books. The plot twists weren't as twisty and the action scenes were a little bit less "actiony." Characterization, always a strong point in Jim Butcher's stories was as good as ever. Overall, the book was fun to read and an admirable addition to the Harry Dresden line. 4/5

I was disappointed in Brother Odd. It seemed as if Dean Koontz slipped back into his traditional themes and slapped the trappings of an Odd Thomas story over it. The method used to render the final climactic battle just didn't work. Partly this was because it was predictable and boring and partly because the first person perspective doesn't allow for the specific mechanism used to be very effective. Coincidentally, the characterization in this book was strong. In fact, it was the only thing that made the book enjoyable. 2/5

A random reference to it having drawn me back, I just located and reread a 15in1 book of the first 14 Oz books and the Little Wizard Stories. Man, I forgot how much I liked Oz. Sure, the comic collector in me is bitching about inconsistencies in background elements but overall I still enjoy them.

One of these days, I need to see about trakcing down copies of the other 26 books in the "Famous Forty" and reading all of them as well. Now, if I could just locate copies that weren't going to cost me more than 20 bucks a pop.

We're starting a Valdorian Age game' date=' so one of my players has been re-reading Howard's Conan stories, and I've been brushing up on Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.[/quote']

Note to self, finish the Nehwon conversion you started.

I saw these at the local book store, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions:

David Wellington

13 Bullets

Monster Island

Monster Nation

Monster Planet

Also, saw this set and was wondering if people had opinions:

Richard Matherson

Hell House

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (short story collection)

Duel (short story collection)

I Am Legend

I saw these at the local book store, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions:

David Wellington

13 Bullets

Monster Island

Monster Nation

Monster Planet

Also, saw this set and was wondering if people had opinions:

Richard Matherson

Hell House

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (short story collection)

Duel (short story collection)

I Am Legend

Don't know Wellington, but Matheson is great. I Am Legend is brilliant; it's been adapted for the big screen twice (The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man) and is slated for another attempt. The short story Duel was made into the movie of the same name, and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet has been adapted for The Twilight Zone TWICE. Get his stuff if you can.

Don't know Wellington' date=' but Matheson is great. [i']I Am Legend [/i]is brilliant; it's been adapted for the big screen twice (The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man) and is slated for another attempt. The short story Duel was made into the movie of the same name, and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet has been adapted for The Twilight Zone TWICE. Get his stuff if you can.

Yeah, there were two versions of I Am Legend on the shelf, both noting "now a major motion picture." The other three books looked to be re-releases in an attempt to cash in on this fact.

Finally finished The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Best genre description I can think of is "modern steampunk." It's set in a world where time traveling and cloning exist, people go door-to-door arguing about who really wrote Shakespeare's plays, and literature is so revered there's a government entity devoted to protecting it. People regularly get their names legally changed to match those of their favorite authors.

It's a lot of fun, though the in-jokes make more sense if you've read Jane Eyre.

I'm going to see about picking up the later Thursday Next books.

I read The Hero Strikes Back, the sequel to Resenting the Hero, over the weekend. Very fun read, and I flew through it. The books are set in a world where natural disasters are actually caused by a surge in energy, and there are people, called Sources, who can quell those forces. However, to keep from being ripped apart by them, they need Shields, who they're bonded to for life.

Some bonded Pairs get along fine, some turn out to be perfect for one another and wind up romantically linked, and others are at one another's throats. Shield Dunleavy Mallorough and Source Shintaro Karish are an example of two of those.

The second installment has Lee concerned for the other half of her Pair, as he looks to be inheriting a title of nobility, and someone has been kidnapping nobles. At the same time, her post, usually a site of constant, violent outbursts from the natural forces they quell, has been experiencing bizarre weather, and the locals aren't happy with the answer that there's nothing they can do about the weather. Tied together with a romantic subplot and family drama, it's a very compelling and interesting read.

Death Masks by Jim Butcher. It's book 5 of the Dresden Files. I was drawn in by curiousity as I never got around to watching the series. I have to admit that the series does live up to the hype so far. It has that nice Film Nior Vibe that makes Detective Stories fun to read, and even though Fantasy isn't my first choice in genres, it meshes very well.

If/when the Dresden Files RPG comes out, I might be tempted to pick up a copy.

I just finished the first 3 books of the Aleran Codex by Jim Butcher. A little slow to get into, but I really like the magic systems (3 so far) and the races. He bases his main people on Roman culture, including their army. At one point in book 3, he explains through example why the shield wall technique they had perfected worked on stronger foes.

Well worth the read, can't wait for the next one, due in december.