Jedi Powers

tiger

What would be the powers that you would give to a Jedi.

Here's what they have shown that I can think off

Mind Control

Telepathy - surface thoughts only

Missle Deflection

Telekinisis

Jumping, actually decided to by it as flight up and down, must land at end of phase

+ to SPD

Lightning Reflexes

What else would you add. The telekinisis or mind control could be use to choke someone. The only other thing I can think of is Vadar's reflecting of Solos blaster shot, which could be his armor as much as the Force.

Re: Jedi Powers

Originally posted by tiger

Telepathy - surface thoughts only

This may have some kind of activation roll or something, because I always thought it was amazing that Yoda and Mace Windu at the end of The Phantom Menace could be talking about the evil Sith Lord, and standing right next to Palpatine, and not sense the waves of immense evil from three feet away. (Or perhaps that was just a plot oversight. ;) )

What else would you add.
Danger Sense ("There's a disturbance in the Force..." "I've got a bad feeling about this...")

Precognitive Clairsentience with some kind of Limited Conscious Control Limitation ("Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future...")

Luck for Jedi, Unluck for Sith.

Re: Re: Jedi Powers

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

(Or perhaps that was just a plot oversight. ;) )

I'd say it's a plot ploy or "only able to detect evil in untrained jedis"

Danger Sense ("There's a disturbance in the Force..." "I've got a bad feeling about this...")

Plot ploy only. Notice it never did them any good

Precognitive Clairsentience with some kind of Limited Conscious Control Limitation ("Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future...")

Would show that they don't have it at all I would think. Again never shown to use this ability

Luck for Jedi, Unluck for Sith.

Don't see this at all

I was thinking of Sense Force. Jedi & Sith would also be able to hide themselfs as well. Something they have done in several movies. Obi wan detected Vadar, Luke detect Vadar, etc.

Re: Re: Jedi Powers

This may have some kind of activation roll or something, because I always thought it was amazing that Yoda and Mace Windu at the end of The Phantom Menace could be talking about the evil Sith Lord, and standing right next to Palpatine, and not sense the waves of immense evil from three feet away. (Or perhaps that was just a plot oversight. ;) )

Actually, this is an ability that the Sith have refined over the millenia...the abililty to be in plain site and remain hidden. Its effecitvely a snub aimed directly at the Jedi...the fact that the Sith is among them and they have no clue.

Some stuff I picked up from Star Wars d20:

Animal Empathy: bonus to Animal Handling rolls. A higher level version might be purchasing Animals for your mental powers class of mind.

Dissipate Energy: A low level Force Field vs. ED only. Keeps a Jedi from being torn up too badly by blaster bolts or a lightsaber nick.

Speed: extra inches of running, probably with an increased END cost limitation.

Michael Surbrook did a cool version of Darth Vader for HERO, see if that gives you any more ideas.

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/adaptionsmovie/darthvader.html

Vader has a Force Sensitive power that, with a little trimming, should do the trick for all that "I sense a disturbance in the Force." kind of stuff.

Lastly, I can't stress this enough, a copy of Star HERO if you don't already have one. It'll save you alot of guesswork I think (it certainly has for me).

May the Force be with you. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Jedi Powers

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plot ploy only. Notice it never did them any good

Kept 'em from being (totally) surprised, which is all Danger Sense is supposed to do.

Got a Bad Feeling...

15 Danger Sense (15 pts), Out of Combat (+5), Intuitional (-5)

;)

--

"An unimaginable evil is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is merely good manners."

Lets look at various uses of Powers in the Star Wars movies (movies only) and compare them to Hero powers equivalents:

Episode-1:

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both sense that something was wrong shortly after Knute Gunray decided to kill them. [Mystic Danger Sense]

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan wade into a squad of Battledroids laying waste to them seemingly with no effort whatsoever. [High speed...possibly speed aid. Skill levels with Sweep]

Both Jedi use Telekinesis to shove Battledroids out of the way. [Telekinesis. Energy Blast w/x2 knockback. Stretching with Invisible power effects; sight.]

The Jedi stand their ground against an entire squad of Battledroids firing blaster rifles at them. They deflect the bolts away and reflect several of them back at the attackers. Neither Jedi is hit even once during this action. [Missile Deflection/Reflection(beam weapons only) with bonus levels to deflect. DCV Skill levels(only while Missile Deflecting). Force Wall(does not block AE attacks)]

Qui-Gon Jinn attempts to cut through a solid metal door with his lightsabre...and does a good job at it. They close the (very heavy!) blast doors. Qui-Gon shoves his lightsabre though the blast door, attempting to heat it to the point of melting. The blast door is glowing red hot and beginning to melt in the center...the point nearest the lightsabres blade. The heat is hot enough to burn cloth/skin/hair within 6 or 7 inches of it. Qui-Gon's hands are mere centimeters from the extremely hot blast door, yet the heat does not seem to bother him in the sleightest. A precedent for Energy Absorbtion/Dissipation. [LS:Immunity to Heat. Damage Reduction(energy). Energy Damage Resistance.]

Droideka's appear before Qui-Gon can melt through the blast door. The Jedi can't reflect blaster bolts into the droids because of their energy screens, so they flee at SUPERSPEED to escape the enhanced battledroids and come up with a plan. [Enhanced running. Aid to running. Aid to Speed. Increased noncombat multiplier for running.]

On Tatooine, Qui-Gon attempts to use the Jedi Mind Trick to convince Watto to sell them a part for their starship at a severely reduced price. It fails however because Watto is a Toydarian. [Mind Control(not vs Ego 15+).]

Qui-Gon tries to convince Watto to bet Anakin on the outcome of the race, but Watto counters with either Anakin OR his mother depending on the random roll of his chance cube (obviously loaded). Qui-Gon waves his hand and affects the outcome of the dice roll. [Telekinesis; Fine Control. Luck.]

Darth Maul is bearing down on Qui-Gon and Anakin swifly. Qui-Gon detects this and yells for Anakin to "Get Down!" and readies his Lightsabre for combat. [Danger sense]

Whew! So many!

More to come later...

Re: Re: Re: Jedi Powers

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Actually, this is an ability that the Sith have refined over the millenia...the abililty to be in plain site and remain hidden. Its effecitvely a snub aimed directly at the Jedi...the fact that the Sith is among them and they have no clue.

And when you're decked out like Vader or Maul, the fact that you can't be detected as "Dark Side" is a bit irrelevant. :P

JG

Re: Star Wars HERO

I don't know if I totally like the VPP system. Beside being quite expensive for a heroic setting there has only been a handful of force powers shown.
Cost Power END
25 Force Powers: Multipower, 25-point reserve
2u 1) Power Over Weak Minds: Mind Control 5d6 (25 Active Points) 2
2u 2) Str, Of Mind: Telekinesis (16 STR) (24 Active Points) 2
2u 3) Read Surface Thoughts: Telepathy 5d6 (25 Active Points); Surface Thoughts only (-1/2) 2
3m 4) Great Jumping Ability: Flight 12", Only to move up or down (+0) (24 Active Points); Must Land At The End Of The Phase (-1/2) 2
2u 5) Quick Hands: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Must Have Jedi Weapon (-1/2)
1u 6) Quick : Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions (8 Active Points)
2u 7) Quick Of Mind: +2 SPD (20 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

Now this is merely a start. I have seen the energy dispersion idea. The only time this was shown was when Han shott at Vadar and that could be Vadar's armor as much as anything else. I'm still trying to think if they every showed something else in the movies. Danger Sense and Procog has been mentioned but they never showed either in the movies.I do think that a perk would be need to use/sense the force and perhaps a force skill as well

On the OLD, old boards (back in the Days Of Which We Do Not Speak), someone posted the idea that the infamous 'Jedi Mind Trick' ('JMT') was, in fact, PRE 'Only to do Presence Attacks'. The supporting points were (if memory serves correctly) that the 'only works on the weak willed' limitation of the JMT is perfectly reflected by the Presence Attack working against the stronger of PRE or EGO, and the effect of the JMT is nicely modeled by the effects of a Presence Attack. The SFX of the JMT Presence Attack is, of course, much more subtle than what we normally associate with a Presence Attack, but doesn't SFX make all the difference sometimes?

Originally posted by Peregrine

On the OLD, old boards (back in the Days Of Which We Do Not Speak), someone posted the idea that the infamous 'Jedi Mind Trick' ('JMT') was, in fact, PRE 'Only to do Presence Attacks'.

I don't understand that concept. The mind trick force them to do as your wish thus mind control.

There has been the concept that it will only work on egos of 15 or less. I fail to see this idea either. Their were only 2 people that it didn't work on. Jabba and the Junkman. I would think that mental defense would be more accurate than just a ego.

Their were only 2 people that it didn't work on.

If you want it to work on nearly everyone who isn't a Jedi or racially immune, then you're going to need a whole lot more Mind Control than the paltry 5d6 you have listed above. The two big examples of the mind trick in action we see in the original trilogy (Obi-Wan convincing the Stormtroopers to leave them alone and let the droids go, and Luke convincing Jabba's aide to take Luke to see Jabba) are both things that the targets would normally be against doing. (Stormtroopers would normally be against freeing people they'd been ordered to look for, and Jabba's aide would normally be against breaking Jabba's orders and bringing a Jedi within lightsaber range.) That's an EGO+20 effect. To get an EGO+20 effect on even someone with a 10 EGO and no Mental Defense, you'd have to roll all 6's on a 5d6 Mind Control, making your chance of success virtually nil.

Lets' assume that the mind trick can't be used to make people do things they're violently opposed to (no EGO+30 effects). To be reasonably assured that you could get EGO+20 effects on people up to 15 EGO or so (above which you might start running into Jedi and potential Jedi), and get them without failing very often, you'd need to have about 14-15d6 of Mind Control. (You need to roll 35 for the desired level of effect on a target with a 15 EGO and no Mental Defense, plus you want to be sure you'll roll 35 almost all the time. At 14-15d6 of Mind Control, you'll succeed in rolling 35 or more about 98% of the time. If you're willing to drop that to about 95%, you could go with 13d6.)

If you want it to work on nearly everyone who isn't a Jedi or racially immune, then you're going to need a whole lot more Mind Control than the paltry 5d6 you have listed above.

Well the multipower is the low end or new jedis. I worked up 3 25pt, 35pt and 50pt.

It would also depend on how the GM would want to rule about it. The troppers asked Obi-wan how long they had the droids first. Meaning they were to keep their eyes out but weren't exactly sure what droids they were looking for so a ego +10 could work.

I can see the need for a 20+ego for jabbas aid. Then again Luke wasn't taken into Sabre range either. He was across the room from jabba. Luke thought he could use the force on Jabba. So again a 10+ego rule could gain you entrance into jabba "throne" chamber to talk to jabba.

Obi-wan would have the 50pt multi-power (10d6)or maybe even stronger. Luke would have atleast had the 35pt multi-power (7d6)by that time.

hmmm you could even buy your PRE attack with a no consious control(-1/4, GM Select plot points only) and must achieve an additional +10 to be undetectable(say-1/2).

you could even boost it with a subtle Pre Drain.

Rather than mind control.

besides these uses of JMT don't really seem to be carried on over, they can be countered by another PRE attack (Jabba vs his subordinate). There also does appear to be no real long term lasting side effects.

Dang im still split on this issue.

The two big examples of the mind trick in action we see in the original trilogy (Obi-Wan convincing the Stormtroopers to leave them alone and let the droids go, and Luke convincing Jabba's aide to take Luke to see Jabba) are both things that the targets would normally be against doing.

I have always used these examples as a classic example of how to properly use Mind Control. Had Obi-Wan said "Ignore these Droids", the stormtroopers would have indeed been resistant. but he didn't. He said "These aren't the droids you're looking for..." he told the stormtrooper exactly what he wanted to hear: he was doing his job, doing it well, and that he had decided that these weren't the droids.

Luke did the same thing. He convinced the aide that not only did Jabba want to let him in, but that he would reward the aide for doing so. Both are examples of roleplaying to move a result from "generally opposed" to "not opposed" or even "likely to do"...

Don't forget that an active force user has unluck when near a pit. :)

Obi-Wan died after crossing a pit

Luke lost his hand over a pit

Luke had his bionic hand damaged when near a pit

Palpatine died by being thrown down a pit

Vader died after throwing Palpatine down a pit

Qui-Gon and Darth Maul died in a room with a pit

Which begs the question, how do handle unluck that only applies part of the time?

If you want it to work on nearly everyone who isn't a Jedi or racially immune, then you're going to need a whole lot more Mind Control than the paltry 5d6 you have listed above.

Not necessarily a lot more dice, though, The Force can have a powerful effect on the weak minded, which could imply that most people have a Vulnerability to the power.

Or not, as the case may be.

Guest Champsguy
Originally posted by dbsousa

I have always used these examples as a classic example of how to properly use Mind Control. Had Obi-Wan said "Ignore these Droids", the stormtroopers would have indeed been resistant. but he didn't. He said "These aren't the droids you're looking for..." he told the stormtrooper exactly what he wanted to hear: he was doing his job, doing it well, and that he had decided that these weren't the droids.

Luke did the same thing. He convinced the aide that not only did Jabba want to let him in, but that he would reward the aide for doing so. Both are examples of roleplaying to move a result from "generally opposed" to "not opposed" or even "likely to do"...

Exactly. Luke didn't say "Here. Shove this grenade down Jabba's throat while he's sleeping." When Obi-Wan was sneaking around on the Death Star, he didn't say "Hey stormtroopers, you should go shoot Vader in the back of the head when he's not looking."

Thus, they can't often achieve +30.

(I'm not saying that having stormtroopers try and kill Vader would have worked, but it wouldn't have stopped me from sending a buttload of morons to irritate Vader)

Re: Dark Side/Light Side

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

how can you handle the dark side/light side aspects of the Force game mechanically using the Hero sytem?

To an extent it's disadvantages more than different powers. Yodi even mentioned that it's not stronger just quicker.

On could easily add some more "evil" type powers though. So far only the emperor has shown a RKA/EB but you could give the othe Sith lords this ability.

A lot of it is how they use their powers as opposed to what powers they have.

A jedi would use the mind trick to help him achieve a goal. Such as Obi-wan using it to get away from the stormtroopers.

A Sith lord would use it to force a person to do something and bend them to their will.

PRE attacks can be used to cause a target to change their mind...it's more a strong suggestion that may sway a target o behave a certain way, rather than "control"

Tim

>>>

Originally posted by Peregrine

On the OLD, old boards (back in the Days Of Which We Do Not Speak), someone posted the idea that the infamous 'Jedi Mind Trick' ('JMT') was, in fact, PRE 'Only to do Presence Attacks'.

I don't understand that concept. The mind trick force them to do as your wish thus mind control.

There has been the concept that it will only work on egos of 15 or less. I fail to see this idea either. Their were only 2 people that it didn't work on. Jabba and the Junkman. I would think that mental defense would be more accurate than just a ego

<<<