Superhero Images

schir1964

Guest bblackmoor

Re: Superhero Images

yup' date=' that's quite provacative if it's a tube top, and she's missing her nipples or something.[/quote']

I figured it was bare across the middle (the "tube top" area), actually.

Another day, another lunchtime ballpoint pen sketch.

The only female player in my group described her character's outfit as "kinda like the original blackwidow". Well, that's just a black bodysuit and a belt from what I remember. Anyway, I made it vaguely like that, although I think she needs to accessorize more :)

Another day, another lunchtime ballpoint pen sketch.

The only female player in my group described her character's outfit as "kinda like the original blackwidow". Well, that's just a black bodysuit and a belt from what I remember. Anyway, I made it vaguely like that, although I think she needs to accessorize more :)

You know, Blue, I really love the way you draw hair. I always feel the need to draw in a lot of lines and they end up being too many, but I wish I was really good at it, like you. The hair on your pics looks natural every time. ;)

Mags

Guest bblackmoor

Another day' date=' another lunchtime ballpoint pen sketch.[/quote']

You do a good job with noses. I always draw in too much detail, and it winds up looking grotesque. :ugly:

Howdy to everyone!

Hi there, everyone. I'm a long-time Champions player (first-played back in 1987), and have been looking to get back into the hobby (I even picked up 'Galactic Champions' today after hearing lots of good things about it over at RPGnet).

My big thing is artwork. I'm a professional comic book colourist (I've done too much to list here, but recently I've beed working on the 'Chronicles of Conan' reprint volumes, volumes 1, 3, and 4, as well as volume 5 coming out later this month), and I believe there are even a couple of people on these boards who have commissioned work from me in the past. For those who were on the pre-release City of Heroes boards, I was known there as 'red bee', and had done a lot of different work for people.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a few things here for you all to take a look at. This first one is of my character 'Agent Hermes'. Enjoy!

Guest bblackmoor

Re: Howdy to everyone!

This first one is of my character 'Agent Hermes'. Enjoy!

I love the metallic shading.

Then again, you are a professional. ;)

bblackmoor said...

Then again, you are a professional.

Well, thanks, I try :)

I'll mostly be posting a bunch of pics for characters I'm creating for a new Champions game I'll be (hopefully) running soon (based around Galactic Champions, I think...). Plus I'll probably be posting new pictures of old characters from my old games... stuff like that.

Anyway, here is another one, a pic of 'The Raven Brigade', the super hero team in my webcomic 'Tales of the Tower Raven'. Now, this pic has appeared in Issue #2 of the 'City of Heroes' comic book (or at least it was supposed to - I still haven't seen that issue - any CoH players here get this issue and see this picture yet? please let me know), but since it wasn't a paying gig or anything (or CoH specific characters - I never actually created any of them in the game when I was in the Beta test, and I haven't gotten around to buying the game yet...) I figure I can post it here as well.

Re: Howdy to everyone!

Anyway, I thought I'd post a few things here for you all to take a look at. This first one is of my character 'Agent Hermes'. Enjoy!

Welcome to the boards, Ian! I think I speak for everyone in saying that your wonderful artwork is much appreciated here on this humble thread. :) I, for one, look forward to seeing more!

Mags

The one about the nose struck me funny' date=' because I've always thought I didn't include enough detail there :)[/quote']

Noses are tricky for a lot of artists.

Personally, I have more trouble with teeth.

I find that the more detail I draw on a facial feature, the more attention it gets. Minimalistic noses are a good way to do it. I think the eyes should be the focal point, anyway, unless you are drawing a monstrous pic where you want a toothy mouth to draw the eye.

Mags

I have trouble with Hands, Noses, Teeth (as well), Ears (typically their placement), and a few other things. I like my own stuff much better when I stand back and take it as a whole, because when I start analyzing parts I start finding ridiculous things.

But generally, mouths remain closed, or if they're open there's nothing inside; Noses are typically a few tiny details at the base and maybe one line for the bridge; Hands are often fists or are gripping something, and ears remain beneath hair. But I'm Trying! It's just that those pics where the hands are visible (and still remain mangled) never get posted.

I thought you were doing rather well there, Blue. If you are looking to improve those facial features, however, you could take a look at the book 'Drawing the Human Head' by Burne Hogarth. It has the best facial construction and layout techniques I've ever seen (I still consult it about ears:) )

So here is another piece. This one was done directly from pencils to colouring, with no inking (digital or otherwise) involved along the way. The character was one I had created for some self-promotional work that I still have yet to get to.

Another great pic :)

Everyone recommends Hogarth, and I've had several of his books over the years, but I have trouble learning drawing from books. But I'm actually much better with faces in close-up. It's when I'm doing something where you see the whole body that I simplify the face a lot; sometimes it works and sometimes I want to tear my hair out. If I sit down and draw a face only, I do a decent job. Except, like Mags, with the teeth. Just forget about that. They look dumb when I draw teeth.

One lunch special, coming up!

I kind of like this one because of the perspective. Most of my drawings are parallel to you because I mess up body perspective.

This is Water Lily. It ocurred to me earlier that I had yet to populate the New Atlantis Research facility. So here's one of the denizens.

So here is another piece. This one was done directly from pencils to colouring, with no inking (digital or otherwise) involved along the way. The character was one I had created for some self-promotional work that I still have yet to get to.

Great job shading! :D And at first glance, I though that dark shape in the window (the glass void) was a sword-wielding baddy flying down toward her in some sneaky fashion. I'm seeing things...

Mags

and ears remain beneath hair. But I'm Trying! It's just that those pics where the hands are visible (and still remain mangled) never get posted.

With your fingers, follow your jawline up to the hinge. That is where the lower part of an average person's ear (lobe or no lobe) is attached to the head. It goes up from there, of course, only slightly angled back. That should help you gauge where to place them. :)

Mags

EDIT: By the way, I think your ears are fine. :D

For a while, I had been running a Champions game in a universe where Marvel, DC, Image, and Star Trek characters all basically coexisted, and had for some time.

In this game, I ended up creating a large number of characters who had characteristics of more than one character from the various companies (Franklin Richards had grown up and become the hero Supreme, a clone of Superman by the name of Simon Williams became Superboy in the 60's, Wonder Man in the 70's and 80's, then, after acquiring the Hammer of Thor [after Thor died fighting an insane Superman], became Thunderstrike, stuff like that). And of course, I ended up drawing a few of them.

Here, I have a picture of Ms Mary Marvel. After nearly dying in a battle against a Cardassian war fleet (the battle which had driven the original Superman insane over a decade ago), Mary Marvel was revived from cryogenic stasis and healed of her wounds by a combination of Fantastic Four and Krypton technology. She also lost her ability to resume her unpowered human form, and gained some new abilities.

Now, I'm aware of the slightly-too-skinny ankles (and limbs in general) on the illustration - it is still more-or-less what I was looking for, however, so I'm fairly happy with it.

IanSokoliwski, have you ever considered doing some tutorials or tricks and tips for painting using PhotoShop?

I absolutely love your coloring, and since I'm not much of an artist I resort to coloring when I'm feeling "artistic", but I haven't seen any "really good" tutorials on coloring using PhotoShop.

Guest bblackmoor

Now' date=' I'm aware of the slightly-too-skinny ankles (and limbs in general) on the illustration - it is still more-or-less what I was looking for, however, so I'm fairly happy with it.[/quote']

Slightly? Someone needs to hand the poor girl a sandwich. :)

I do like the posture, though.