Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Superhero Images

Cool ... the relunch was quite nice :) I would also suggest looking at The Judas Contract and The Terror of Trigon, both out in TPB and drawn by George Perez .. great stuff :) In fact, it's one of his pics of Terra that inspired the pose that I used ;)

Magmarock one thing I found helpful when i was first learning photoshop was reading the help files its got a lot of very detailed information on the various filters and layer options including the mathematics of it all. Of course one of my uni classes was on image manipulation which helped as well.

it can be hard to remember if you have been goofing around, what you did to get a particular effect.

I have a great picture I did about a month after I started using photoshop and i still havent been able to redo it so it looks the same. My advice is to keep a note book by the computer and if you find a particularly nice effect jot down the settings.

Cool ... the relunch was quite nice :) I would also suggest looking at The Judas Contract and The Terror of Trigon' date=' both out in TPB and drawn by George Perez .. great stuff :) In fact, it's one of his pics of Terra that inspired the pose that I used ;)[/quote']

I will keep an eye out for them buddy!

Thanks Rob ... This is one of my first pieces w/ digital ink ... I'll never touch a pen for inking again ;)

That can be tricky - the problem with that is that you can easily lose the 'line weight' in an image (granted, that can also be a problem with inking only with technical pens rather than Speedball pens and brushes), making it a bit flatter.

Work-In-Progress

Hey all

okay, I thought I'd show the current self-promotional piece I am working on (between paying gigs, that is), and I'd show it in various stages.

First, here is the basic pencil illustration. This is drawn out on an 12"x17" sheet of 2-ply Bristol, and is drawn at 10"x15". Most of my illustrations are done at these dimensions (generally-accepted comic book standard).

Note that I will be inking this piece by hand later.

Now, one other thing. Like I said, this is a self-promotional piece (of the Raven Brigade, the super hero team from my 'Tales of the Tower Raven' webcomic), and it will be used as the cover page to an upcoming issue of an online comics magazine (that will be featuring an interview with me :)). Normally, I add in backgrounds, just to create a sense of place. I haven't yet added in that background yet (I'm still deciding over that one) - if I do, it will precede the inking stage (I'll be deciding that Tuesday or Wednesday, whenever I get this other project completed).

Once inked, I will be tweaking it slightly (making the front motorcycle wheel a bit more realistic, moving Knight Commanders' head slightly, things like that). I tend to fiddle a bit with my inks in Photoshop a wee bit.

That can be tricky - the problem with that is that you can easily lose the 'line weight' in an image (granted' date=' that can also be a problem with inking only with technical pens rather than Speedball pens and brushes), making it a bit flatter.[/quote']

Oh I agree :) That's where I was before ... using Micron pens ... always felt they had a bit of a bleed problem in many of the pics I drew ... the digi ink looks more crisp and is a bit more forgiving ... I like that ;) Plus, I've never been good with a normal brush ...

Me and my low-tech ballpoint :)

This is just a sketch for a character idea. I figure the Olympian gods are still around. They were the superheroes/villains of their time. Most have fallen in combat against one another, but there are a few that still exist.

After considering Hephaestus, the god of the forge, my first thought was to make him a head of a company that makes missiles (The ultimate fire!). But I kept coming back to him as a sort of lone workman, not a company man. So here he is with a slight goth twist to his look. First Draft.

I'm thinking that hole at the center of his outfit should actually be a hole, where a black fire burns. maybe next draft.

These are the designs I did for the four active players in my campaign.

The team leader is Captain Washington , a flying brick. A "professional superhero", the Captain has a public identity and is considering a run for public office. Both paties are courting him, and he's very popular with the people.

His lieutenant is Red Racer, a former Olympic track & field athelete who discovered she was a latent mutant when a scandal led to mandatory testing. She was drummed out of the sport, fell on hard times, and ended up with VIPER (who used an experimental process to activate her latent genes, giving her speedster powers). She was reformed by the Captain, and now is his most loyal supporter.

Doctor Dyad is a self-trained mentalist and one of the world's foremost psychoanalysts. While very powerful, he's an utter coward in the face of a physical threat. He serves as the teams counselor.

These are neat. I like the inset pictures you included--that's a cool idea. So where's the fourth character?

Uh...turns out he wasn't scanned in. Imagine a blue Hawkeye without the winged face mask, and you've got it. His name is Trickshot, and he's a Super-Archer. He got into the hero game after he rescued a whole bunch of people from a burning building, then got trapped in it himself, then got saved by CW, then spent several months in intensive care (horribly burned) stewing over the fact that Washington got all the credit for his heroism while he got a heap of medical bills. After he recovered, he built some trick arrows and hunted down the Captain, defeated him, and then demanded a spot on the team. While he is a hero, he's a bit more interested in upstaging the Captain than anything else. They have a rather one-sided rivalry thing going on.

I like including inset pictures, and "casting" the characters. Captain Washington is actually miscast in that picture, it's suppossed to be J. August Richards (who played Gun on Angel). Red Racer is singer Nelly Furtado, and Dr. Dyad is Ben Kingsley. Trickshot hasn't been cast yet, were looking for a Ben Affleck type, but not so lame.

Lady Heart.

I'm sure this isn't what you imagined, but I hope she is ok. As you can probably tell, the hearts gave me some trouble, as did the curls.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8154

Mags

Thank you, othoe I did imagion the curls to be longer. And the hearts to basicly "float" all over her dress. Still, s/he is a hard concept to acualy get into (especaly if your not that much into anime).

Olympian #2: Aprhodite.

Again, I plan to do something that looks vaguley more...superheroey. But this is the preliminary idea in my update of the Greek gods who still live to this day.

Beauty is a burden, pageant contestants claim. Of course we all roll our eyes. But for the most beautiful woman who ever lived, beauty is a curse. Even covered head to toe in clothing as she has done for the past few hundred years, people are still intrigued by her graceful movements, and intrigued by just what is hidden behind all that cloth. She is, however, condemned to wear it all when it public, else there be riots in the streets, and sudden heart attacks.

Olympian #2: Aprhodite.

Again, I plan to do something that looks vaguley more...superheroey. But this is the preliminary idea in my update of the Greek gods who still live to this day.

Beauty is a burden, pageant contestants claim. Of course we all roll our eyes. But for the most beautiful woman who ever lived, beauty is a curse. Even covered head to toe in clothing as she has done for the past few hundred years, people are still intrigued by her graceful movements, and intrigued by just what is hidden behind all that cloth. She is, however, condemned to wear it all when it public, else there be riots in the streets, and sudden heart attacks.

Is that a veil over her face?

Mags

Yes it is.

For this one I didn't want to go stereotypical T&A, as aphrodite would likely inspire. I wanted someone who in thousands of years hasn't come to grips with the effects her beauty has on the average person.

Also, it would be impossible for me to draw someone impossibly beautiful. This way you've got to fill in the blanks yourself :) The imagination is always better.