UNTIL Superpowers Database -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confusion

If it isn't too late...

I've always had the hardest time generating a power that stuns or dazes a target. The closest thing I could get was a Flash, but it doesn't work right. I also tried an Entangle, but again not right.

I need a power to basically Con Stun an opponent and still be balanced. For example, a little 2d6 EB that Stuns really easy (I'm thinking a advantage similar to Double KB).

Also, making someone sick is difficult. I want to 1/2 their movement, but can't do that. I can drain "any movement power", but I only want 1/2 of it-- resisted by CON. Reduces CV (OCV, DCV, and ECV).

And... a power that adds activation rolls to skills. I would assume this would be some sort of Drain anything: adds specific limitation (-0).

Re: Confusion

Originally posted by SaintHax

I need a power to basically Con Stun an opponent and still be balanced. For example, a little 2d6 EB that Stuns really easy (I'm thinking a advantage similar to Double KB).

That could just be regular EB, Stun Only, only to Stun. Depending on your campaign I'd probably give that at least -3/4. Make it NND if you need to.

Proper Planning

I'd like to see a "Batman like" vpp. Batman doesn't build his stuff on the field, but he always manages to have what he needs on hand. Once he pulls out a device from his belt, it's there till he get's back to the Bat Cave. I was thinking it would be a vpp, no rolls, instant, but w/ some type of charges limitation to represent that he can't change it constantly. Not sure. Haven't really sat down and chewed on it-- that's why we have Steve :-)

• 5 years later...

UNTIL Superpowers Database

I'm vaguely familiar with the Marvel RPG book you're discussing, though I've never read it cover to cover. I don't have any intention of contacting anyone and asking him to participate in the creation of the USPD, for a whole bunch o' reasons.

Oh, puh-leeeze!

"Vaguely familiar"??????

Okay, if that's your story......

Obviously you were a lot more familiar with the UPB's half-sibling, DEO: Directive on Superpowers--

"And to Nikki Vrtis, for the Directive, and more."

Not to mention openly copying DEO : DOS' format.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

But an honest acknowledgement, or better yet, a consulting fee would have been nice.

Still, at least you came up with an original title. I cannot say that about the Mutants & Masterminds: Ultimate Powers Sourcebook.

Re: UNTIL Superpowers Database -- What Do *You* Want To See?

To be fair, if the poster is who he claims to be(the author or co-author of the two works in question), he's alleging something akin to IP theft by Mr. Long. To establish that, though, I think he'd have to at least post a page from the DOE book, or the old UPB, so there'd be a side by side comparison of the products.

If I was going to make vague and unspecified allegations of "copying [...] format", my first look at whose format was copied would be the original AD&D first edition Player's Handbook.

If you're going to publish a book of powers, spells, whatever, there's only so many formats you can do it in. Including a shorthand block of the power's requirements, range, and so on, is pretty obvious, and I have serious doubts it's protected IP. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling I know of one who posts around here.

Edit: Having looked at the book in question, I'm not sure what he's saying was copied.

If I was going to make vague and unspecified allegations of "copying [...] format", my first look at whose format was copied would be the original AD&D first edition Player's Handbook.

If you're going to publish a book of powers, spells, whatever, there's only so many formats you can do it in. Including a shorthand block of the power's requirements, range, and so on, is pretty obvious, and I have serious doubts it's protected IP. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling I know of one who posts around here.

Edit: Having looked at the book in question, I'm not sure what he's saying was copied.

Yeah, seeing as the UPB was a listing and description of powers linked to a set of random die-roll tables, by the OP's logic, Jeff Dee should be gearing up to sue the ever loving %^&* out of the creators of the UPB.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, seeing as the UPB was a listing and description of powers linked to a set of random die-roll tables, by the OP's logic, Jeff Dee should be gearing up to sue the ever loving %^&* out of the creators of the UPB.

Just sayin'.

yeah, but I think the OP is referring to the DC Universe powers sourcebook, which came out either at the same time or slightly before the USPD, IIRC.

yeah' date=' but I think the OP is referring to the DC Universe powers sourcebook, which came out either at the same time or slightly before the USPD, IIRC.[/quote']

Sort of, he starts by questioning Steve's claim that he wasn't familiar with the UPB, then he moves on to the DC Universe book. He continues to muddy the water by knocking on the M&M product name, which leads back to the UPB.

So unless he clarifies, we have no way to know which one is really a bee in his bonnet.

Either way, if he is who he claims to be, well:

1) I liked the UPB and the FF compendium, nice work.

2) This is probably the one of the most unprofessional ways to have handled your grievance.

Sort of, he starts by questioning Steve's claim that he wasn't familiar with the UPB, then he moves on to the DC Universe book. He continues to muddy the water by knocking on the M&M product name, which leads back to the UPB.

So unless he clarifies, we have no way to know which one is really a bee in his bonnet.

Either way, if he is who he claims to be, well:

1) I liked the UPB and the FF compendium, nice work.

2) This is probably the one of the most unprofessional ways to have handled your grievance.

agreed. He could have just sent Steve a private message.

PIE!

Pie Pie Pie Pie!

CAKE!

First you must survive... the test. AND then you will be baked *ZRKR* into a cake.

(Orange Box, Half Life, Portal, Good Stuff)

Wrenching this hideously messed up topic back on course...

I'd like to see an essay of a few to several pages discussing the designer's approach to power creation. I mean, my attitude has always been that SFX covers so much that any power with more than a few extras sets off alarm bells. The "dear God not another Munchkin" warning bells.

Maybe with some examples of powers that are potentially messed up, and how to refine the advantages and limitations taken so it's down to something technically sweet and not an ugly mass of advantages and limitations. No cure for munchkinism that, but I think there's a fair number of people who think slathering six mods onto an EB is really cool. Usually what they end up creating is just annoying.

"This continuous sticky penetrating uncontrolled damage shield cumulative power with the activation roll and no conscious control can do what now?"

Yeah' date=' seeing as the UPB was a listing and description of powers linked to a set of random die-roll tables, by the OP's logic, Jeff Dee should be gearing up to sue the ever loving %^&* out of the creators of the UPB.[/quote']

True, true.

So I was thinking, maybe what he was getting at was listing out Powers and grouping them by type (Offense Powers, Defense Powers, Movement Powers, etc.)? Except USPD doesn't do that. It groups them by SFX. Fire Powers, Sonic Powers, Acid Powers, and so forth.

Now, I do recall seeing in my third edition Champions book, a list of all of the Powers grouped by Offensive, Defensive, Movement, and Other. Third edition Champions, published in 1984.

To Jeff T. here is Captain America's Shield

Multipower (50 Points) OAF: Shield (-1)

u) Armor +10 PD +10 ED

u) CSL: DCV +2

u) EB [vs. PD] 8d6, 1/2 END (+1/4)

u) KNB Resist -5"

Total Cost 30 Points

True, true.

So I was thinking, maybe what he was getting at was listing out Powers and grouping them by type (Offense Powers, Defense Powers, Movement Powers, etc.)? Except USPD doesn't do that. It groups them by SFX. Fire Powers, Sonic Powers, Acid Powers, and so forth.

Now, I do recall seeing in my third edition Champions book, a list of all of the Powers grouped by Offensive, Defensive, Movement, and Other. Third edition Champions, published in 1984.

OTOH USPD does group the Powers within a particular SFX group by Offensive, Defensive, Movement, Sensory, and Miscellaneous.

I'm just saying. :whistle: