What character concepts make you cringe?

John T

Re: What character concepts make you cringe?

Personally Ive never understood why hetero guys are even interested in lesbians' date=' much less obsessed with them. Do they not get it? THEY ARENT INTERESTED IN YOU, so why waste time fantasizing about them? Besides of all the lesbians Ive ever known the "lipstick" variety seems to be the minority -- the "granola" and "butch" varieties seem to be more the norm. Just chill with the sex fantasies and realize that they are just normal people who prefer women over drooling deviant men like you and get over it.[/quote']

I never understood it either.

As far as characters go' date=' I get real leary when ever a male player _wants_ to play a female character. Im always waiting for the dreaded annoying falsetto and totally off-base behavior.[/quote']

I'm happy to say I never had any player doing funny voices of any kind. :)

My own experience is that most good RPers usually have no more trouble playing the opposite gender than any kind of character that is radically different from themselves. You always get some things wrong, but this is natural, it's a challenge.

I don't mean to disparage those players who take the easier route of always playing idealized versions of themselves. If you're having fun, then keep doing it.

Well, and if you're a serious GM, you HAVE to roleplay characters of the opposite gender regularly. After all, all those male PCs will have female DNPCs, perhaps Rivals, Hunteds...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally Ive never understood why hetero guys are even interested in lesbians' date=' much less obsessed with them. Do they not get it? THEY ARENT INTERESTED IN YOU, so why waste time fantasizing about them?[/quote']

Unattainability == attractiveness. Lesbians don't do it for me, though.

Lessee... characters that make me cringe...

In an old supers setting, there was the guy who wanted to play a precognitive gunman... o_O

And his brother, who wanted to play a ruthless and corrupt corporate executive by day, powerful gadget-brick from space by night.

Can anybody say Dark Champions? o__O

Of course, there was one guy with a normal concept right from the start: La Cucaracha! Think of Spider-Man, but with a roach instead of a spider. His backstory was that he was eating corn chowder in some sketchy diner in Los Angeles, and when he wasn't looking, an irradiated cockroach dropped into it from one of the ceiling lamps. He was just plain fun.

More recently, and this one I allowed because it's not really a Champs game, just a game with superpowered characters, is a guy with the SFX "Self-contained dimensional pocket." This made me cringe at first, but we managed to stat it out in the end.

My campaign is roughly three months old and the proposed characters so far have included:

1. Might Mouse

2. Danger Mouse

3. Speedy Gonzalez

4. Pinky

5. & the Brain (with Human bot)4

6. The Blue Raja (from Mystery Men)

7. Ash (from the Army of Darkness)

Of course, this is my Exile campaign, but most of these characters would be very difficult to spread out to 350 points much less add experience to. One player became enamoured with the shrinking brick and came up with an Elseworld Batman background and it works really well. I am letting the guys try the Blue Raja and Ash, but I am really worried that I will regret it. For instance, the guy building Ash thinks he should have a 30 resistant Pd and Ed because Ash "takes a beating to superhuman level"....

As far as characters go' date=' I get real leary when ever a male player _wants_ to play a female character. Im always waiting for the dreaded annoying falsetto and totally off-base behavior.[/quote']

Ah, see I don't play my female characters that way. And I think my group appreciates that. :D

Last Gen-Con I played in a game where I was a female superheroine (I am male) an ex-KGB agent, who was the target of filtering from an over the top male superhero, played by a female player. It was a lot of fun for all. The male superhero would do over the top things to get my female superheroine's attention and of course I would down play or even ignore him. The other players thought it was funny. We did not use false voices (with the exception of my poor russian accent). It can work especially if slightly underplayed. :)

Last Gen-Con I played in a game where I was a female superheroine (I am male) an ex-KGB agent' date=' who was the target of filtering from an over the top male superhero, played by a female player. [/quote']What was he trying to filter out?

The worse character I have ever had someone present to me was a humanoid butterfly from another dimension for a super game. Not mention this character also had a VPP and talked in a high pitch squeal. Suffice to say I said no.

G

Guest Kolava

Let me the worse character I have ever had someone present to me was a humanoid butterfly from another dimension for a super game. Not mention this character also had a VPP and talked in a high pitch squeal. Suffice to say I said no.

G

Why? This sounds like an idea with potential, so long as the player wasn't actively trying to go against the campaign's tone (if he was then I can understand your being upset) and wasn't trying to actually make the squeeky voice while roleplaying.

In my current Champs Game that I'm running we have the following:

1. Traditional Blaster Green Lantern style, 15 yr old high school girl

2. The Brick, mutated Latvian Policewoman

3. Gadgeteer, Neo gone horribly, horribly Lame (hey, was his concept)

4. The Mentalist/Telekinetic, Prim, proper British super with a 50PD/0ED FF with Concentration and some other oddities.

5. The Metamorph, homeless man who talks to insects, and turns into a swarm of roaches.

The crazy homeless man gone Hero concept was the oddest of the lot. I almost didn't allow it, but it's been lots of fun. "What's that Bob? He's got a Sandwich in his pocket? Go get it!" Definately adds some humor. He's considering taking Bob the Roach as a follower. Yeah, that's right. A roach. What a game!

first off, Whoa! They've change the board software...

Ok back on topic - one guy had a character who had a weapon called the "Fuglurizer" which was a COM drain...

I've had some bad concepts - mainly just hyper-inefficient projectors. However they were all Hyper-Patriotic so I am sure that made everyone cringe!

Personally Ive never understood why hetero guys are even interested in lesbians, much less obsessed with them. Do they not get it? THEY ARENT INTERESTED IN YOU, so why waste time fantasizing about them? Besides of all the lesbians Ive ever known the "lipstick" variety seems to be the minority -- the "granola" and "butch" varieties seem to be more the norm. Just chill with the sex fantasies and realize that they are just normal people who prefer women over drooling deviant men like you and get over it.

As far as characters go, I get real leary when ever a male player _wants_ to play a female character. Im always waiting for the dreaded annoying falsetto and totally off-base behavior.

I'm not sure whether you are referring to a) guy fantasizing about having sex with lesbian, or B) guy fantasizing about lesbians having sex. These are two distinctly different things in my opinion. (Personally, I fall into Group B, but not Group A. Because as you said, they're lesbians... they're not interested in me)

I've never had a desire to play a female character, personally, but I have never had a problem with anyone who did.

Well the campaign was suppose to be dark and omnious (a war between beings that gave birth to our concept of Angels and Demons). Also this particular player love creating characters just to annoy the other players (And he did want to talk in the squeaky voice). Oh well not going let this become rant against a player (even if I haven't seen him in years (and maybe I am remembering it worse then what it was)).

G

I'm male, and have played a female character several times. In most cases, it doesn't seem to make any difference, as if the gender of the character is completely irrelelvant. I don't know whether this means that I can't roleplay females, or that individual differences are more important than a character's gender.

On the other hand, I've encountered a male player with a male character who seemed to think that my character existed only to be the target of his sexual conquests. I also had a character who wound up running around behind the scenes, keeping the town from falling apart while the men doing "guy stuff", and being the only person who would bother talking to the NPC's or trying to comfort the girl that we rescued. That was interesting, although I don't know how much of that was because she was female, and how much was because I had decided not to give her very many combat skills.

Hmm. This subject could use it's own thread. I think I'll give it one.

Zeropoint

I'm in the category of never understood fascination with lesbians either. But anyway the thing that does get a little tired to me is the every super looks like a model thing. One time I just went with "He looks a lot like me, damnit" approach. As you can guess I am a bit unattractive (ok, a lot). Needless to say I saved points on the COM category to spend elsewhere. :D

I also cringe a bit with most cases of regeneration. Not an unacceptable power but it isnt going to be case of healing from the brink of death in 8.5 seconds or whatever. :rolleyes:

I quickly realized that regeneration was an extremely useful power to have at a low level. The basic ten-point version (in 4th Ed.--I think it works out even cheaper in FRED) was pretty useless in combat at one BODY per turn, but it guaranteed that you wouldn't have to spend a month in the hospital after a fight. Otherwise, it's going to take about six weeks for a broken bone to heal, and probably longer for extensive soft tissue damage.

Zeropoint

I agree that regen is helpful but I just dont want the Wolverine type regeneration (its been awhile since I've read any X-men to any extent, but some of the things I've heard about this is a little too extreme). A low-level is fine

I agree that regen is helpful but I just dont want the Wolverine type regeneration (its been awhile since I've read any X-men to any extent' date=' but some of the things I've heard about this is a little too extreme). A low-level is fine[/quote']

I'd say a lot of Wolverine's "regeneration" is closer to resistant defenses. He's hit, he's hurt, but his healing factor reverses the damage so quickly that it doesn't realy have any impact. [Grey Hulk had similar defenses, actually.]

I know one guy who almost always plays female characters. He does OK, but mainly because the games are kept at a G to PG rating, so he doesn't have to deal with the characters' sexuality. He just runs them as people.

(To be honest, I think he'd have trouble RPing any character's sexuality, whether female or male.)

As far as cringe factor goes, I had one guy who wanted to run a D&D minotaur in a superhero game.

I agree that regen is helpful but I just dont want the Wolverine type regeneration (its been awhile since I've read any X-men to any extent' date=' but some of the things I've heard about this is a little too extreme). A low-level is fine[/quote']

The basic "low level" Regeneration in Champions is 300 Body an hour!!! Don't know what would constitute extreme . . .

The basic "low level" Regeneration in Champions is 300 Body an hour!!! Don't know what would constitute extreme . . .

IIRC, at one point (after Wolvie had fully healed from the trauma of having the adamant ripped out of him) he basically could heal from lethal-level injuries (run over by a car) in a couple seconds. In Champs, that'd be a ridiculously expensive level of regen (SPD*BODY*2 pts/turn is what I'd guess). At that level, it was more like desolid, only to emulate ludicrous regen.

For my part, I cringe mainly at characters that don't fit into the current game. I don't mind Werewolves/Vampires/Anime Characters in a Champs games, so long as they're played as Champs Characters, not their own genre. I guess it's more character attitude/style than character design that annoys me.