Using COMliness

KawangaKid

A character in my High-Powered Fantasy Hero campaign has 30 COM. I've used it to clarify why PRE attacks tend to result in folks becoming enamored with the character, but are there any other mechanics that might be used with this?

Has anybody used a COM roll? If so, for what and how?

Re: Using COMliness

Well, while I didn't make a roll for it, the other night, my character (20 Com) ended up with the person she was fighting asking her if they couldn't just go out to dinner instead. :) Was a great deal as far as Cannis was concerned, she rescued her friend (one of her terms for the date was let Belle go), got a free meal, and got a chance to get to know one of the Citiy's Heroes a bit better.

I think high COM is one of those things that just tends to influence how people react to you. You might use it as a supplemental roll with various social type rolls (persuasion, conversation, bartering, etc.). It could also lead to NPCs of the appropriate types being a bit more friendly or flirtatious in general.

Michelle

I'm quite willing to allow a Comeliness roll as complementary to several Interaction Skills when the situation seems appropriate - there's no question that looking good can be a benefit to attempts at Persuasion, Conversation, Seduction and even Oratory if the subject of the Skill attempt thinks you look good, too.

I've also extrapolated from the notes in FREd (and earlier sources) allowing for 1D6 bonus to Presence Attacks based on fear for each 10 points of negative Comeliness, to allow for the reverse effect. My players can use every 10 points of positive COM over their basic 10 score as a 1D6 bonus to Presence Attacks that are not based on fear: for example, attracting attention, urging a course of action, sometimes even "rallying the troops."

I don't often use COM rolls as complimentary, but I will allow COM to modify the roll of Interaction Skills, based on the relative COM and personalities of the characters involved.

For the most part, it's just a Stat to throw some extra points in "if you feel like it" when making a character, at least in my games. The most use it really gets is in the popularity of the heroes in the eyes of the media, and who innocent bystandards feel most comfortable talking to.

+5 COM over 10

OR

-5 COM under 5

= +1/-1 on appropriate skill rolls or +1d6/-1d6 on appropriate PRE attacks, with appropriate judged by the GM.

Works well for me and has for a while, but then I'm from the stiffer skill penalty school of thought (as oppossed to the school that says 11- represents a professional level of skill). Scores above 30 or below -20 require very, very good explanations.

Kawanga Kid:

Aside from Interaction skills, I let COM modify Mind Control effect levels if appropriate.

Cheers

Indeed. I have a succubus villainess with Mind Control, RSR Seduction. Her massive COM acts as a complimentary roll to Seduction. I think it makes sense.

Also, I do most of the things mentioned above with PRE Attacks and Interaction skill rolls.

COM has always been around just for WOW factor in my games with no practical benefit other than maybe as a modifier to the type of PRE attack being performed.

If Bullet man crushes an opponent's weapon, no bonus. If Enchantress kicks open the door to the bar and then shakes her hips and winks, then she's likely got a bonus. Unless of course the bar is the Leather Banana. Then Bullet Man might get the bonus.

Add an occasionaly penalty to enemies in battle when trying to make attacks at others when in combat. Or perhaps skills when someone of high COM is nearby.

The enemy rushes up to launch an attack at the hero and catches the eye of the 30 COM hero to the side. That distraction for a moment is enough that the attack misses.

Some enemies might be less inclined to attack someone who is beautiful. Or others might prefer to make called shots to the head to "scar that beautiful face."

I use COM as a tie-breaker for initiative.

In a comic book, the artist would draw the most attractive character first.

In a movie, the camera would point to the most attractive character first.

That's cool! I never thought of that.

GM: Okay, your speeds, dex's, and lightning reflexes are the same. WHat is your COM score?

Player: what?

:eg:

I'm not a big backer of letting any "disadvantagous stats" (such as those purchased at a minus) letting you do anything beneficial. I can see why folks might want it. But it's like getting a benefit for something that should be hindering you.

Well, *technically* a negative COM costs you points. However, by the book you do get those first 5 point (from 10 COM to 0 COM) back. So I'd recommend either voiding that little technicallity or basing the "absolute" figure from 10 and -10 since they cost the same...

Add an occasionaly penalty to enemies in battle when trying to make attacks at others when in combat. Or perhaps skills when someone of high COM is nearby.

The enemy rushes up to launch an attack at the hero and catches the eye of the 30 COM hero to the side. That distraction for a moment is enough that the attack misses.

Some enemies might be less inclined to attack someone who is beautiful. Or others might prefer to make called shots to the head to "scar that beautiful face."

I use a villainess called Psi-Ghost with a COM of 26. Her job within the team is to distract anyone who might interfere. She generally uses Seduction, with a COM roll as complementary skill. Oh yeah, she also uses strategic Mental Illusion and Mind Control attempts to augement these rolls ;). Ocasionally I'll allow a COM Attack (which is really a PRE Attack, but the character adds his/her COM/10 (round down) as bonus dice).

I use it as a complimentary skill roll to interaction rolls when appropriate (correct gender or attraction factors, etc). I also allow it to modify non-combat presence attacks, which are just pre vs. pre rolls in my game. I could see it being a factor in determining the requisite target level for mind control in some cicumstances. I also like mattingly's idea - that's amusing enough to actually use.

Thanks all! I wanted to help players who beefed up their COM to get something more out of it... despite the fact that each +1 COM only costs .5 points. The COM complementary roll sounds good, and I think the PRE Attack bonus only relying on looking good will be excellent.

Since I'm running a Fantasy HERO game I suppose that some races would find her "attractive for a human" if they were humanoid...

Since I'm running a Fantasy HERO game I suppose that some races would find her "attractive for a human" if they were humanoid...

I have a standard dodge here. I typically use a "Tower of Babel" (from the Bible) incident in which the original race is scrambled into all the multitude of races common to the fantasy genre. As such their standards of attractiveness aren't that different :D

Just to point out, numerous psych studies have shown that people (employers, co-workers, etc) assume attractive people to be intelligent. This bias may work in a character's favor.

I question the plausibility of 30 Com in anyone, though. That means the character if 400% more attractive than the most attractive non-supers on the planet. I can imagine what being four times stronger than the strongest normal would be, but just how attractive can anyone, even a super, be? At some point you would move so far away from the human standard of beauty that you would no longer be attractive. Personally, I don't believe Com should even be a characteristic, but since it is, it should stay within the 20 Com limit. If you want to go beyond that, you should supplement with some kind of 0 end, area of effect, low-power Mind Control.

I question the plausibility of 30 Com in anyone' date=' though. That means the character if 400% more attractive than the most attractive non-supers on the planet.[/quote']

Actually, "Rising Stars" by J.M. Stracynski (hope I'm spelling that right) has a super in it whose only power is to be the most beautiful person the viewer has ever seen.

If you want to go beyond that' date=' you should supplement with some kind of 0 end, area of effect, low-power Mind Control.[/quote']

If the above had some sort of set effect ... as in "fall in love with X" ... then yes, I'd agree. But I would tend to say that with the varying reactions that people would give ... some lust, some jealousy, some would think that the super is just a bubble-head ... I would say that the ultra-high COM is better for the special effect.