What comic book villains would make cool heroes, and vice versa?

megaplayboy

Re: What comic book villains would make cool heroes, and vice versa?

With his set of powers Spider-Man could be the ultimate burglar. Or indeed the actual menace (or threat) Jolly Jonah thinks he is.

Wolverine would be a terrifying mob enforcer.

If the Guardians were to take a more active role in enforcing their view of morality one could find the Green Lantern Corps to be a terrifying force indeed -- sort of shock troops on worlds the Guardians think are going astray.

And evil telepaths with access to cutting-edge psionic technology are downright scary. "Why are we fighting you again?"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadpool would be a great hero, be a Punisher with attitude. Guy Guarder would make a great villain, most heroes hate him anyways. In the Champions universe, Doctor Destroyer and Mechanon would be worshiped like Superman as heroes.

Thanatos from Marvel has been on the side of heroes occasionally (mostly when there's a threat to the Multiverse itself). I'd like to see him reworked as a Master level Hero, someone who is more proactive in fighting villains and has his own grand plans but with more benevolent goals.

I'm not quite sure how you can get past the "worships Death" thing. Maybe he wishes every soul who dies would be one who has led a full, satisfying live and every happy soul Death receives makes her a little bit happier in turn.

I have a hard time coming up with something for this because it seems to me they have indeed been done on both sides.

I picked up Issue #2 of Avengers/Thunderbolts limited series tonight. The thunderbolts are the prime example: The Masters of Evil in disguise as heroes. They act like heroes, they look like heroes, they do heroic things, and they don't seem any different from any other well-rounded hero team.

But it gets me wondering about the Evil-Avengers. Needless to say, and Evil Thor is more than a handful, but if you throw in Iron Man and Cap, you've got something truly hard to handle.

Maybe I did have a suggestion after all :)

This would work well as a Golden Age villain team. "Nordic" thunder god, Nazi flagsuit, and mad science armour (or robot).

Nasty. You would really have to bring out the Allies' heavy hitters to cope. People like the Spectre...

Well, yes. The point is "a nordic thunder god fighting for the Nazis and their bizarro theories". As opposed to, for example, a Norse thunder god fighting against the invaders of Norway.

The point is that Thor would be equally plausible in either role. "Evil Thor" is no different from "Good Thor".

Just ask any Dark Age Christian monk. :)

In the first volume of the Invaders, Thor did fight for the Nazis though I think he was brainwashed. Also in the DCU's version of Thor(and valkeries) also fought for them against the JSA.

Didn't the character examples in the 3E(?) Champions have backgrounds for both "hero" and "villain" versions?

Yes, with the exception of Mechanon who was too powerful to be a starting PC (and built on far too many points).

A Mechanon whose scrambled programming is to protect organic life at any cost would be potentially interesting. And maybe even not necessarily a hero if he believes that protecting mankind means protecting us from ourselves to absurd degrees.

Yes, with the exception of Mechanon who was too powerful to be a starting PC (and built on far too many points).

A Mechanon whose scrambled programming is to protect organic life at any cost would be potentially interesting. And maybe even not necessarily a hero if he believes that protecting mankind means protecting us from ourselves to absurd degrees.

4th Ed Sanctuary had a mechanon model with similar programming. He was security on the island.

An Alternate Fantastic Four:

I agree with several posters, Doc Ock would make for a great Reed Richards type hero.

Black Cat would replace Sue Storm as a hero...Hmmm and end up Married to Doc? OK. In a weird twisted way I could see that.

I'm open to other suggestions for Sue Storms replacement,

The Abomination would take the Thing's place.

Now I need an energy projector for Johny Storm. Pyro is too low a level for the job...no a natural projector, not necessarily fire based. any ideas?

I agree with several posters, Doc Ock would make for a great Reed Richards type hero.

Black Cat would replace Sue Storm as a hero...Hmmm and end up Married to Doc? OK. In a weird twisted way I could see that.

Now I need an energy projector for Johny Storm. Pyro is too low a level for the job...no a natural projector, not necessarily fire based. any ideas?

Avalanche. X-Ray. Any Ghost Rider.

CES

I've always liked the idea of say "The Joker" as a hero. Of course he would have to be a bit more sane than he is in the comics these days' date=' but the idea of perhaps a "Gadgeteer' hero who enjoys humiliating super villains could be a lot of fun.[/quote']

Done in 2010 release of Justie League: Crisis on Two Earths DVD. He was The Jester and he sacrificed his life to help Luthor escape the Crime Syndicate:

ReachingYou00001.png

Then there's the Jokester :)

Didn't the character examples in the 3E(?) Champions have backgrounds for both "hero" and "villain" versions?

A great idea, and I wonder why it went out of style.

Istvatha V'han is already a heroine in her own mind. what would she be like as a genuine heroine?

Would she be different at all?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary could go either way

In one of my games ages back I ran what I called "The First Family" with the Maestro Hulk being in charge. He'd first managed to beat the other radiation powered character's in Marvel into line. His personal enforcer was The Abomination, who was sent to kill the PC's. The PC's did everything they could to stop him at a distance. Once he finally got close enough to talk to them, however, he had a good little laugh and told them how much he hated Bruce and that he had a couple of ideas for how they could get away to take him down at some point. The sound of multiple jaws hitting the floor was music to my demented GM ears.

Anyways, my point is that The Abomination could be a great hero. He was a patriot who loved his country enough to go deep undercover and leave behind his new wife to make sure his country was safe. It was later on that he got crazy and obsessive.

Green Arrow would make for a great mad killer.

Somewhere there is a comic with Batman as a Vampire. Evil to the core. Kinda fits.

Wonder Woman would make for a great crazed killer, man-hating Amazon. Give her a shield and a bloody axe.

Someone mentioned Spiderman as a villain. Wouldn't be interesting if he was a psycho type with frail Aunt May saying, "It's time to kill again, Peter."

Green Arrow would make for a great mad killer.

Somewhere there is a comic with Batman as a Vampire. Evil to the core. Kinda fits.

Wonder Woman would make for a great crazed killer, man-hating Amazon. Give her a shield and a bloody axe.

Someone mentioned Spiderman as a villain. Wouldn't be interesting if he was a psycho type with frail Aunt May saying, "It's time to kill again, Peter."

Then later you find out that she's dead and it was Peter in drag all along.

Electro is actually the heaviest hitter among Spider-Man`s regulars.

A great idea' date=' and I wonder why it went out of style.[/quote']

Back in 3E (and in the beginning of 4th) there was no set universe, just example characters that could be used as heroes or villains. I may be totally making this up, or misremembering (it was a long time ago) but I think I read that George's biggest pet peeve was when a player would say "It's not like that in the [comics, movies, TV show etc.] so he wanted to keep everything generic.