Galactic Champions, how will you use it?

proditor

I've been pondering this for oh...most of the time since I heard about the planned release. What will people do with GC? Will you make the Legion of Superheroes? Guardians of the Galaxy? Star Trek with the single meanest away team ever? Star wars and we'll finally show those Jedi what power really is? Now some of this is going to depend on whether or not you're going to wait and see what the supplied campaign material is, but I was just curious what people's initial thoughts might be.

Re: Galactic Champions, how will you use it?

I will use it the way I use all supplements: To crush and belittle my players, driving them into the depths of despair, in order to make myself feel manly and omnipotent! Ha Ha. HA! HA HAH HA!

Or, I'll probably read it first and figure out what I wanna do. I'm leaning toward a Thanos/Captain Marvel/Silver Surfer/Galactus motif. But who knows.

One of my players is going to use the Hero Next Generation, Star trek guide and galactic champs for a supers for the Federation campaign. I'm a little dubious, but, he is such a good gm that I'm intrigued. God help the super with a red costume.

Personally, I want to see how they handle individual, and mass, supers vs starships then, assuming its workable, use it in my World War two campaign so that the pcs can throw around tanks, fighter planes and storm battleships.

The campaign I'm in would benefit nicely from it, even though its not a future setting:

-Our heroes are 750+ points, so all the high end advice is good

-Several of the heroes have an extraterrestrial origin that would probably be aided by GC

-Our probable number one nemesis is Istvatha V'Han, who is basically a GC-style space overlady on steroids

Guest WhammeWhamme

hrm.

Take the highest powered campaign option they offer, set it as minimum power level for all future superhero games.

It's the only way to be in genre.

I run a "normal" Champions campaign, but one that involves a lot of super powered aliens. I'll probably just use it for source material and inspiration for that area of my campaign.

That reminds me... I still gotta buy Star Hero.

hrm.

Take the highest powered campaign option they offer, set it as minimum power level for all future superhero games.

It's the only way to be in genre.

Pretty much. :)

Well, unless you are playing early Golden Age, when the characters are still really just pulp types.

I might go with something along the lines of DCs' old L.E.G.I.O.N. series, which had something like a "present day" version of the LSH running around. Of course, I would probably make it more like the Silver Age LSH.

Hmm. But then, we are living in "the future" now, aren't we? What if the LSH had come from the 21st century, and not from the 30th? They could still have travelled backwards in time to meet Superboy. ;)

Maybe it's time for me to finish off my Ultra Boy homage...

God help the super with a red costume.

"Well, we're here on Arcturus 3. Wonder Woman, Superman: You scout that mountain range. Green Lantern, Green Arrow, search the plains. You and me, Flash--"

ZAP!

"Flash! They got Flash! I begged him to lose the red shirt!"

Next Epsiode... Shazam's first mission.

Make the redshirt invulnerable.

One of my players is going to use the Hero Next Generation' date=' Star trek guide and galactic champs for a supers for the Federation campaign. I'm a little dubious, but, he is such a good gm that I'm intrigued. God help the super with a red costume.[/quote']

The mention of the Legion reminded me of my as-yet-uncompleted project to write up the pre-5-year-gap Legionnaires, Subs, and students. Here's the ones I've got done so far:

http://dr-anomaly.home.mchsi.com/

And Hawksmoor, one of them is Tenzil. It's a pretty high-point write-up, and of course no two people ever agree on a write-up for a comic book character (often because the writers write them inconsitantly over the years) but I thought you might get a kick out of it nevertheless. :)

P.S. Tenzil's Characteristics are largely based on a conversion from the DC Heroes stat book version of him.

Re: Galactic Champions, how will you use it?Champions Thread about ten down from here.Thread NamedNew CharacterI do not know how to link a thread. YET!!!So I'll just insert him here:Matter Eater LadPlayer: Anyone Zany Enough

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
18 BODY 16
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
14 COM 2
8 PD 5
8 ED 4
4 SPD 12
7 REC 0
36 END 0
35 STUN 0
9" RUN64" SWIM23" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 113
Cost Power END
8 LS (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents) (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only if eaten; -1 1/2) 0
128 Major Transform 10d6 (Anything into edible matter), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (225 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work on Magnozite; -1/4) 0
15 Luck 3d6 0
16 Transuit: LS (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (20 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) 0
56 Telepathic Earplugs: Mind Link , Human and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x128) (70 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Only to other Earplug users] 0
52 Legion Flight Ring: Flight 12", x256 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (118 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (NCM Multiples can only be used to match the flight speed of another Legionaire; -1), IIF (-1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 275
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
3 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 Strike
5 Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike
4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 30 STR to Disarm
Martial Arts Cost: 28
Cost Skill
3 +1 with Martial Maneuvers
3 Combat Piloting 13-
3 Bureaucratics 12-
9 Persuasion 15-
3 Seduction 12-
14 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Marine, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain, Urban) 13-
1 TF: Commercial Spacecraft & Space Yachts, Grav Vehicles/Hovercraft, Military Spacecraft, Personal Use Spacecraft
Skills Cost: 36
Cost Perk
30 Advanced Tech
10 Computer Link
2 Vehicles & Bases
13 Vehicles & Bases
9 Fringe Benefit: Interstellar Police Powers, Starship License
9 Fringe Benefit: Membership
7 Fringe Benefit: Security Clearance
2 Reputation: Member of the Legion of Superheroes (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6
Perks Cost: 82
Cost Talent
18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)
4 FTL Pilot
Talents Cost: 22
Val Disadvantages
25 Hunted: EarthGov 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Hunted: Fatal Five 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Irreverent Wisecracker, hardly takes anything seriously (Very Common, Moderate)
10 Susceptibility: Magnozite , 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)
15 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Major)
5 Distinctive Features: Legionaire (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
251 Legionaire Training and Equipment Bonus
Disadvantage Points: 356

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 556

Height: 1.81 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 78.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Personality: A fun loving wisecracking guy.Quote:Trust me. I'm a Senator.Background: Matter EAter Lad, from the planet Bismoll, can eat any substance but magnozite.Powers/Tactics: Try not to get into combat, if you do use your Legion combat training. If the bad guy has a bomb, gun, vial of bad stuff...eat it.Campaign Use: Hawksmoor

Thanks for posting that. Not a bad little write-up. :) But hey, I'm bound to say that, as M-E Lad always was one of my all-time favorites! :)

By the way, if anyone's interested, I've got my own write-ups of the Legion Transuits, Flight Rings, Telepathic Plugs and Cruisers. They're really high-point items, but there's a very easy way to get the cost down to just a point or two per Legionnaire. :)