5th Edition News

Hey gang! Just making official what a few of you have already heard- 5th Edition Revised has been moved up in the schedule from early '05 to October '04. The main reason for the move is this- we're out of 5th Editions yet again (hurray for us!) We looked at ordering up yet another reprint of the original 5th, but we were concerned that getting the minimum order size from the printer might leave distributors (and us) with a lot of extra stock on hand when 5ER did come out, especially if sales of the current book slowed as expected once the marketing push for the new book began. So instead, we've decided not to reprint the "old 5th" again, and moved the "new 5th" up as far as we could reasonably manage it.

Now, just because we're out of copies in the office (actually, we've still got a few damaged copies left for you bargain-hunters) doesn't mean there are none to be found anywhere. Most of our regular distributors have plenty on hand to carry them into the summer, so if we've planned this correctly it should start getting scarce right around the time the 5ER push starts in July and August.

As for 5ER itself, hopefully most of you have heard what it is and isn't by now, but here's the quick and dirty version: it's *not* a new edition, there are no rules changes or compatibility issues, and we're not just trotting out another version because we're heartless money-grubbers. What it *is* is the 5th Edition you know and love, minus the annoying typos and errata, with a few cleanups on layout, charts, tables, and art to make it generally more attractive and easy-to-use. It will also include some additional information, most notably the "Hero System Genre-By-Genre" essay found elsewhere on this site and probably a few more items that we'll decide on once Steve gets through Dark Champions and can really concentrate on this one.

As of today, we've removed the undamaged 5th Edition from the store. Hope that answers everybody's questions! dw

Re: 5th Edition News

Well, this is quite a change. I went through two copies of 3rd Edition even though I only played for about half of its availability (the first half... that's a long story) and through three copies of 4th edition. But now a new version -- if only a slightly revised and corrected one -- is coming out while the previous one is still in good shape.

And it's in very good shape, despite having been used as body armor in a firefight, run over by an Abrams attack tank, sent into outer space for a day and a half, puked on by zombies, and borrowed for three days by Firewing while he created a character for a Turakian Age campaign (which I'm not even playing in, by the way). :jawdrop:

By contrast, my copies of Terran Empire and Spacer's Toolkit are both already ripe for replacement, though I've owned them for a relatively short time. :(

The race to find an "official" nickname for 5ER has just taken on new urgency! :eek:

Hey, I just sounded out "5ER" and realized that it sounds like "fiver." Think that would work?

Scene at a gaming con: "Sorry, I only know FREd. Could you lend me a FivER 'til tomorrow?"

I'm among those rare people whose 5th has sustained damage, ableit quite minor and my own fault, and look forward to replacing it with a version "without error" (good luck on that account!).

EDIT/PS - I probably won't keep the old version, I'm getting out of the collector mode in general, so if someone wants it (and if no one in my immediate gaming group wants it, they will get first dibs) feel free to contact me, I"ll sell it VERY cheap (uh, this doesn't bug HERO, does it? Darren, if you want, I will edit this post again if that bothers you guys).

EDIT/PS - I probably won't keep the old version' date=' I'm getting out of the collector mode in general, so if someone wants it (and if no one in my immediate gaming group wants it, they will get first dibs) feel free to contact me, I"ll sell it VERY cheap (uh, this doesn't bug HERO, does it? Darren, if you want, I will edit this post again if that bothers you guys).[/quote']

:hex: I WANNIT! :hex:

Pleassssssse? (maybe I should just email you...)

We're planning to insert some new errors' date=' so that people who enjoy finding them and posting them will get full value out of the book. :D[/quote']

Thankfully. I was worried. So how's the plan for having a special Eliza Dushku insert? May bring some meaning into the whole "five by five" thing.

Unfortunately' date=' we couldn't afford the modeling fee. So, it'll just have to be a book of gaming rules, as usual.[/quote']

Dang I was Really looking foward to Eliza modelling Seekers old costume...I expected that cover to sell like hotcakes!

We're planning to insert some new errors' date=' so that people who enjoy finding them and posting them will get full value out of the book. :D[/quote']

The wisdom of Solomon! (not necessarily the poster, but he's pretty wise, too!)

What day? I'll be 39 the 14th. :(

My FREd is in excellent condition but I've been wanting a new-and-improved errata-less version for quite a while...

And my birthday's in October.... I should start spreading the word. :D

What day? I'll be 39 the 14th. :(

Why so sad? In some ways you're embarking on the best part of your life. Self-awareness generally increases (even if only as we increasingly admit our own demise may be part of life's equation) and besides many of the old insecurities start to be left behind. Then again some new insecurities crop up. And some worsen. But then again, it's an interesting and exciting time. And here's a little secret - around this time is also the time of most women's sexual peak, if you have a female SO roughly of the same age, which I believe you do.

EDIT - sorry this is a bit NGD, but still I felt a necessary response to the "39" comment - anyone who wants to debate or such can meet me in NGD or PM - if anyone feels i should delete, I shall

For the reasons that Steve has outlined, I think that this decision makes a great deal of business sense. That's one of the major factors that makes the current Hero Games management stand out from their predecessors: they run this company like a business, not a hobby.

For my part, I don't expect to purchase 5ER for a long time, if at all. I'm getting by well enough with FREd, the Errata and the FAQ, and I have other priorities for my limited HERO gaming dollars. For everyone coming new into the system, though, the new edition is certain to provide more value for their bucks.