The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

This week my mother was informed by her employer that after 33 years of working for the Hospital, her position was being eliminated. a couple weeks ago they offered her and a bunch of others a voluntary retirement package...

Now they are Cramming it down their throats, and even if they accept it, they MIGHT NOT GET IT...

soul sucking skinflint bastards. THey claim all the problems the hospital has are due to low re-imbursement, but there are all those additions and expansions... they could NEVER make a mistake, of course...

A couple months ago they fired all their NACs and such. Now all the Assistant Nurse Managers are gone.

WHo is providing patient care?

on the same day, one of my wife's friends/co-workers got a call at work. Her sister had just dropped dead of a heart attack in her Seattle Yard at age 48.

BAD DAY

on top of all that there was the adult who was abusive to the 13 year old he was with, and my wife also. She was so angry at the mistreatment of the girl that (verbal, but my wife was afraid he'd hit HER if she called him on it) she didn't get to sleep until 0530!!!!

*grumble grumble*

Wait a month for a DVD to come out, since the last disc ended on a cliffhanger...

*grumble grumble*

Get the DVD last night and find out it's defective...

*grumble grumble*

Waste half an hour cleaning and checking the DVD player, but nope, it's the disc...

*grumble grumble*

Take it back today and exchange it... only to find out this one is defective, too...

*grumble grumble*

DAMN IT, I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Tivo just sucks completely now. Months late and they STILL couldn't release a working product. And it's just not that complex a deal except for their own tying themselves in knots over DRM and TTG. Still, a simple dang download and demux/mux operation ought not entail this much grief and agony; at least the download part ought not, just getting it from the frigging Tivo box to the PC should be the easy part. And an awful lot of the user community solutions amount to nothing more than "hold your nose and point north, that seemed to work for me...". And it's gotten far WORSE with the SW update.

• 3 weeks later...

Son of a bitch must pay.

I put off finishing up my taxes since we owed money. The little box was saying "Owe 29" in red and running a little out of the box.

Today I finish up and notice I owe $294. Great, that one digit would of been nice to know about.

I've been using Taxcut since '98, but for next year I think I'm dropping it and doing something else. It's just more clunky as well this year.

I've had good experience with Turbotax. I have all kinds of wacky schedule C and 1099-DIV crap, too. It's a pain in the ass to fill out, but still not as much as doing it all by hand, and cheaper than the blockheads (which I've used anyway the past couple years). And once you do one year in Turbotax it makes it much easier to do subsequent years, as it automatically carries over much of the relevant information.

I've had good experience with Turbotax. I have all kinds of wacky schedule C and 1099-DIV crap' date=' too. It's a pain in the ass to fill out, but still not as much as doing it all by hand, and cheaper than the blockheads (which I've used anyway the past couple years). And once you do one year in Turbotax it makes it much easier to do subsequent years, as it automatically carries over much of the relevant information.[/quote']

That's what Taxcut did in previous years. Still does, but it just looks like they took more shortcuts or something.

Some people don't know when to shut up. I was riding the train home after an intense workout. I was trying to just sleep, but I couldn't get comfortable. Then this stupid drunk bum comes in and starts talking trash to everyone. Some people leave; I figure he's crazy but harmless, so I continue trying to relax. Then he comes closer and closer to me, yelling threats and obscenities. When he got close enough to invade my space, I jumped up, looked him in the eye, and yelled "BACK OFF! NOW!!!" The asshole went from belligerent to meek immediately. He said in a soft voice, "Okay, okay." He didn't step back yet, so I held my ground, ready to break him in half. Piece of shit. Good thing for him an employee scolded him and made him leave. Good thing for me too. I'd probably be in jail by now.

Guest Skaramine

I've learned, if you don't want to be bothered, you stand, take a T-foot confrontational stance and say LOUDLY and CLEARLY.

"I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HELP YOU."

And maintain eye contact and body tension until they back off.

Guest Skaramine

Still... that's the way you should do it. Legally safe self-defense protection ahead of the fact. If he pressed his point, then witnesses could say "hey, he said he couldn't help him, and this guy kept getting in his face."

Still... that's the way you should do it. Legally safe self-defense protection ahead of the fact. If he pressed his point' date=' then witnesses could say "hey, he said he couldn't help him, and this guy kept getting in his face."[/quote']

I know. That's why I said "back off" and "leave me alone" first instead of just beating the crap out of him. I couldn't step back, so I just held my ground (at this point, I'd be damned if I gave him any ground). And afterwards, I spoke with the guy sitting across me, who could verify I wa just trying to sleep. Of course, I thanked the train operator, who was very nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When are they going to stop putting up so many fricking stoplights? Why don't they just post a stop sign every fifty feet on every street and get it over with? Because you know, it's all about safety. If a pedestrian steps in front of a train it's the pedestrian's fault, but if they step in front of a car suddenly the driver is supposed to bend the laws of physics to save the idiot. Because of course the driver should have left fifteen minutes earlier. Yeah, let's make it so all drivers have a half hour less time to spend with their families. Hell, let's go all the way and limit all cars to 10 MPH. Although I'm sure some bonehead will figure out how to get killed even then.