The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Brand new job' date=' brand new state - brand new region of the country. High stakes - my son's father moved there (Vermont) a couple weeks ago for a new job for him, and we've promised to follow - but jobs in Vermont are not easy to come by! (There are only 600,000 people in the WHOLE state).[/quote']

Oh, right, I remember something about Vermont being mentioned. It can be a tough adjustment as they are very much "insiders" although (and I think I'm repeating myself, oh well) the bigger cities such as Montpelier or Burlington are more open, as is Bennington (great little college town). My in-laws moved from Mass. to Vt. and found it to be too tough an adjustment (it's not just moving one state over, it was moving also from a fairly urbanized area to total country).

Brand new job' date=' brand new state - brand new region of the country. High stakes - my son's father moved there (Vermont) a couple weeks ago for a new job for him, and we've promised to follow - but jobs in Vermont are not easy to come by! (There are only 600,000 people in the WHOLE state).[/quote']

Good luck!

I've actually never been to Vermont. I've been to all the other states in New England, but never Vermont.

I guess I never found a compelling reason to go. I don't like to ski, and New Hampshire's right next door.

Good luck!

I've actually never been to Vermont. I've been to all the other states in New England, but never Vermont.

I guess I never found a compelling reason to go. I don't like to ski, and New Hampshire's right next door.

Vermont's way more beautiful than NH or Maine, in my opinion. The countryside is just nicer, more rolling, more picturesque.

I got together with a group of friends to see Batman Begins. It was entertaining, although there were problems with the sound. Near the end of the final battle, the sound goes out altogether. It persists for several minutes, until Lucius Fox says, "Didn't you get the memo?"

I doubt I spoiled anything with that last comment for those who haven't seen it yet. Those who have seen it understand what dialogue I missed.

On the good side, we had tacos for dinner. And pie for dessert.

*Grumble Grumble Grumble* slow human resources people taking their time makin up their minds forever' date=' sposed to give me an answer on monday and now not going to give an answer til this COMING monday and I need to know if I have this new job because if I do, I need to move, and the landlord at the place I've chosen to move to is driving me bonkers telling me to make up my mind![/quote']

You have my sympathy. I've been spending a lot of my time recently getting ready to sell the house that my brother and I own. However, I don't know if I'm moving somewhere else here in Denver, or moving with him out to Sacramento because I'm still waiting for the company I interviewed with the decide if they are going to offer me a job. So I've been kind of looking around both cities for places to move to, but neither of us can do more than kind of look around until they make a decision.

So I feel your pain, not that that makes it any easier for either of us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid, irresponsible, frustrating, aggravating fool of an ex-husband!

God I am glad I'm not married to him anymore. Now if he'd just stay the heck out of my affairs....

(I have a cell phone account I got while we were together. For matters of convenience, I let him use one of the phones, since I was under contract for 2 phones anyway. He pays me part of the bill each month. The bill and contract are in my name only (cause no one would give him a cell phone contract). Contract was due to expire this month, which is what I planned, and I expected to disentangle from him and this cell phone company at this time. That FOOL went down there and got himself a new phone (free, under some promotion) this past february and signed SOMETHING that caused MY contract to be re-upped (in MY NAME!) for the next 2 years!!!!)

STUPID ROTTEN FOOL!!

That's interesting. If he is officially your ex, and the contract is solely under your name, he really oughtn't to be able to do that. It is time to call the cell phone company and see if you can straighten that out. I do not envy you, because I know how cell phone companies can be. IANAL but it seems to me that the law is on your side.

:cry: I so want an interview with this place' date=' but the guy who may or maynot give it to me is on vacation. I have to wait until after the 4th to find out if I even have hope.[/quote']

Yeah, best of luck. I don't even know whether to advise calling on the 5th. A friend of mine tells the story of having an interview scheduled on the interviewer's first day back from vacation, and all the interviewer did was keep glancing over at the stack of crap in his In box that he had to catch up on. Needless to say, my friend didn't get called back, and there was nothing he could do about it.

Yeah' date=' best of luck. I don't even know whether to advise calling on the 5th. A friend of mine tells the story of having an interview scheduled on the interviewer's first day back from vacation, and all the interviewer did was keep glancing over at the stack of crap in his In box that he had to catch up on. Needless to say, my friend didn't get called back, and there was nothing he could do about it.[/quote']

Oh, that makes me feel better :D

Stupid, irresponsible, frustrating, aggravating fool of an ex-husband!

God I am glad I'm not married to him anymore. Now if he'd just stay the heck out of my affairs....

(I have a cell phone account I got while we were together. For matters of convenience, I let him use one of the phones, since I was under contract for 2 phones anyway. He pays me part of the bill each month. The bill and contract are in my name only (cause no one would give him a cell phone contract). Contract was due to expire this month, which is what I planned, and I expected to disentangle from him and this cell phone company at this time. That FOOL went down there and got himself a new phone (free, under some promotion) this past february and signed SOMETHING that caused MY contract to be re-upped (in MY NAME!) for the next 2 years!!!!)

STUPID ROTTEN FOOL!!

Ugh, sorry about that. Can you cancel your contract somehow? Maybe complain to them that they shouldn't have done it without your permission? Can BD make up some good-sounding legal mumbo-jumbo for you to scare them with? Phone companies are bad about this - believe it or not, until we put an official "block" on it, apparently our long distance service could be changed by ANYONE calling and giving our number, as in fact happened to us. Isn't that unbelievable? But true, at least with Quest. Now that we have a block, they know that we don't want to let just anyone change our long distance service (since, after all, why would you NOT want just anybody in the world to do that... :rolleyes: ).

:cry: I so want an interview with this place' date=' but the guy who may or maynot give it to me is on vacation. I have to wait until after the 4th to find out if I even have hope.[/quote']

Good luck! Didn't know you were job-hunting, if I may ask, how come?

Well, I just finished some work...that took a bit longer than expected. And I don't think it was the best stuff I've done, but for having received little instruction, little guidance, having managers with competing goals, and then having some deadlines pushed way up...well, none of that should be an excuse and it isn't, but on the other hand I just can't feel all that bad about it.

Thanks - well, the whole project itself isn't finished (and as to the whole process it probably won't be until fall), but a substantial, important portion is, enough that the "yayy" is still entirely appropriate and appreciated!

Yargh, I went to rep you for a number of reasons and I'm still out for this 24 hour period...