The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I have a bad headache. And I just really loathe my life in general right now. Every time I think I've reached the end of the tunnel' date=' I find it's just another corner to turn that opens up to more tunnel.[/quote']

For what it is worth, you have my sympathy.

I can actually understand Ben's frustration when flame wars and other unpleasantness come up. I'm a moderator on another rpg board, and I've noticed a lot of profanity and racial slurs on that board. I've had to remind people a lot constantly not to use such language. I even had to ask someone to change his signature because of the offensive elements in them. These people seem to be a much younger crowd than the folks here, so I do want to keep it family friendly over there.

I just wish those guys wouldn't forget every other day, so I don't have to keep reprimanding them so much.

I want to take a mulligan on the entire month of May. It began with fun times, immediately followed by the sinking realization that I had broken a very important peice of my anatomy (phlebitis, if anyone is interested), and has gone steadily downhill. My girl moved out to her own place for school, which blindsided me. In retrospect it makes a lot of sence and will eventually solve many of the power imbalances in our lives that were causing a lot of relationship stress, but being alone in bed at night for the first time in years was insanity making. This led to many fights. My general ADD nature makes it hard for me to focus on work when I'm stressed. And then that lack of focus makes me angry. Which makes me more stressed. which makes me less productive. See the trap?

Then my jeep was broken into. Again. On Mothers Day, while I was trying to be Superpartner. So I lost the first new car stereo I've had, ever. Whichh was a birthday present from my girl. And had to fix my Jeep. Again. I can now swap out a wing vent window in 45 minutes with time for smoke breaks. Then, to top everything off, my damn cooling system decided to implode the Friday before I was supposed to leave town for an SCA event and a nightclub, both of which I was supposed to sell at. Missed the Crown event, made the club by the skin of my teeth. And now, here I am... I just finished rebuilding my Jeep, and am sitting here nursing a viking tan (Sunburn, for the non fair skinned out there) and reminding myself that if I start drinking again I probably won't stop.

And all things being equal, things are actually looking up.

Heres to June!

I want to take a mulligan on the entire month of May. It began with fun times, immediately followed by the sinking realization that I had broken a very important peice of my anatomy (phlebitis, if anyone is interested), and has gone steadily downhill. My girl moved out to her own place for school, which blindsided me. In retrospect it makes a lot of sence and will eventually solve many of the power imbalances in our lives that were causing a lot of relationship stress, but being alone in bed at night for the first time in years was insanity making. This led to many fights. My general ADD nature makes it hard for me to focus on work when I'm stressed. And then that lack of focus makes me angry. Which makes me more stressed. which makes me less productive. See the trap?

Then my jeep was broken into. Again. On Mothers Day, while I was trying to be Superpartner. So I lost the first new car stereo I've had, ever. Whichh was a birthday present from my girl. And had to fix my Jeep. Again. I can now swap out a wing vent window in 45 minutes with time for smoke breaks. Then, to top everything off, my damn cooling system decided to implode the Friday before I was supposed to leave town for an SCA event and a nightclub, both of which I was supposed to sell at. Missed the Crown event, made the club by the skin of my teeth. And now, here I am... I just finished rebuilding my Jeep, and am sitting here nursing a viking tan (Sunburn, for the non fair skinned out there) and reminding myself that if I start drinking again I probably won't stop.

And all things being equal, things are actually looking up.

Heres to June!

Sorry, better luck in June!

I have a bad headache. And I just really loathe my life in general right now. Every time I think I've reached the end of the tunnel' date=' I find it's just another corner to turn that opens up to more tunnel.[/quote']

damn that sucks, feel free to PM if you wish to talk. I could give my e-mail too...

• 2 weeks later...

So the next time you're in a very long line at the airport waiting to be thoroughly examined by the TSA, imagine what it would be like if you were accompanied by your pregnant, nauseous wife, and two elderly relatives, one of whom is confined to a wheelchair and apparently got herself onto a terrorist watch list somehow. Seriously, I have never seen any airport security drone search anyone with the same thoroughness that they searched this poor old lady who can barely lift a fork to her mouth, let alone commandeer and fly a fricking airliner. Yeah, I feel safe now.

I told the people on my team at work, they were not allowed to sleep in the lab.

The SAME night, one tried to sleep int the lab.

So Why is she mad that I wrote her up?

(That's a retorical question BTW)

Seriously' date=' I have never seen any airport security drone search anyone with the same thoroughness that they searched this poor old lady who can barely lift a fork to her mouth, let alone commandeer and fly a fricking airliner. Yeah, I feel safe now.[/quote']

Louie Anderson once did a bit on this... waaay before 9/11, to boot.

"Sometimes when I'm at the airport, I just wanna go to security and say 'Psssst! Check that guy again.' But they can't... they're too busy dealing with a guy from Texas going 'Huh... must be mah [belt] buckle.'"

:)

oooh.... frustration!

I want to be like Buddha and want nothing. I want to depend on no one. I want to hoard my feelings and my own power. I want to be desireless.

Unfortunately I want a great deal of things. Therefore, I want to keep all the wanting a secret, all to myself, and instead pretend to be like Buddha, and all independent and whatnot. I don't want to admit that I want anything.

*Scowls* And I don't get to have that illusion either.

Here's something I want. I want to stomp my feet and have a tantrum.

If a person doesn't want you to answer a question honestly, why ask it in the first place?

*grumbles something about lazy, inconsiderate husbands*

Because they have something specific in their head that you were SUPPOSED to say, of course. Didn't you read your script?

Because they have something specific in their head that you were SUPPOSED to say' date=' of course. Didn't you read your script?[/quote']

I overslept this morning. Must've forgotten to pick it up.

I can't imagine what he wanted me to answer to that question, though, to have him give such a reactionary and shocked response.

You'd think I'd told him that castration was necessary for the continuation of our marriage, or something.

I didn't, and I wouldn't. Just sayin'.

Grr.

I'm adjunct faculty at a local university's Physics Department. This term I taught a survey-level astronomy course. Yes, :Pluto::jupiter::mercury::neptune::uranus::mars::venus::saturn: Solar System astronomy.

I give an observing exercise. Very simple. It takes about an hour to do from a standing start. You have to observe the moon. (We really need a moon icon in the smiley set.) I give it the first week of the term, collect it the last week of the term, and I threaten the students weekly and let them know that doing it is their responsibility, weather be damned. In 2.5 months they will sure enough get the hour they need.

I don't care so much what answer they get; the procedure, by its nature, is flawed, so only under ideal conditions (which aren't actually that hard to come by, but never mind that) will they get the correct answer. It's the performance of the exercise that counts. I never mark people down for the wrong answer, just for doing things incorrectly.

But ... when someone dry-labs it, fakes the data, makes it up ... and I catch them at it ...

Although the principle for academic honesty penalties is more or less the same everywhere, the details are always different, and the details matter. So when I found the idiot who faked his data on Sunday evening, it chews up about half a day of my life as I figure out what i's I have to dot and what t's I have to cross before I can toast his lazy, cheating ass to the maximum extent the school regs allow. Because if I have to waste a half day or more of my life to penalize some guilty-of-incestuous-rape low-life, I sure as hell am going to ask for more than a slap on the wrist for my trouble.

Unfortunately, no one's regs allow things I want to give ... the pit of starving rabid weasels ... the hornets' nest enema ... re-entry from low orbit with only a vacuum suit ...

Grr.

If nothing else' date=' Cancer, you can always fail him. But it sounds like there will some sort of punitive action taken against him, if you've got proof, and it sounds like you do.[/quote']

Yeah, he sent me a grovelling apology email last night, so he recognized that I had him. I haven't decided whether any further action is required of me. Summer's here, and I don't want to think about it if I don't have to.

*Grumble Grumble Grumble* slow human resources people taking their time makin up their minds forever, sposed to give me an answer on monday and now not going to give an answer til this COMING monday and I need to know if I have this new job because if I do, I need to move, and the landlord at the place I've chosen to move to is driving me bonkers telling me to make up my mind!

Good luck! Is this an internal transfer or brand new job?

Brand new job, brand new state - brand new region of the country. High stakes - my son's father moved there (Vermont) a couple weeks ago for a new job for him, and we've promised to follow - but jobs in Vermont are not easy to come by! (There are only 600,000 people in the WHOLE state).