The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I had one of those nights too, DT. When I finally would nod off, some asshat would make noise outside. Blah.

So, my local range is having a contest for Halloween. They put a one inch bullseye on a zombie target. Whoever shoots closest to center of the bullseye at 25 yards with no optics or lasers (just iron sights), wins a free year of range membership. Two bucks a shot. Last time I went up there, about a week or a week and a half ago, nobody had actually scored a hit on the bull.

Last week, I picked up some subsonic .22LR and some cheap Federal Automatch ammo to run through my CZ from Walfart. I didn't have time to go shooting b/c of the niece excitement, so I finally went today. I checked the zero with each of four types of ammo, and picked the one that was hitting closest to POA and grouping decently. Then, I set up a target with just nine one inch orange dots on it, same as the zombie bullseye. I figure if I can hit those with any consistency, then I'd buy ten or twenty bucks worth of attempts at the contest. Scored five out of nine in the one inch bulls. (I was expecting worse, since I can barely see the dots at 25 yards with my old eyes.) Figuring that was good enough, I went and asked for a zombie target.

All out.

ALL OUT.

When will you get some more?

Dunno . . .

Contest ends on the 31st.

Gah.

Well, I'll have to try again tomorrow (and pay another freaking range fee), I guess. Maybe I'll be better rested and steadier at least. IF they have targets. Because it's so frakking hard to run down to the office store two blocks away and make some color copies...

My wife just called me from work, while on her break. She ranted at me for a good 20 minutes (I checked the timer on the phone, I am NOT exaggerating) about how much it sucked. While she was on vacation last week, her department was all but neglected and looks like crap, so she's going to have to bust her ass to try to get it back in shape ... just for it to get trashed during the holidays.

Emotional support.

I left my lights on at work the other day. I have to drive through a tunnel to get to and from work, and I haven't been able to open my driver's side door for a couple of weeks. When I got out on the passenger side, the your-lights-are-on-idiot dinger didn't ding.

As we have but one car, and the VA Board of Elections *still* hasn't fixed my address and polling place (and I got my change request in well before the deadline), we are up at the ass-crack-of-early to do voting. We go to my place first, then I go to work and let the wife have the car so she can can then go vote at her place right down the road. With any luck, doing this right when the polls open should keep our waiting to a minimum.

Catching some kind of gawdz-awful disease was not in my plans for the weekend. So today is a stay-home-from-work-and-grumble day instead instead of a get back to work and catch up day. I'm not sure if I'll be going out to vote or not. I really should, but I'm in no condition to drive. Blah. I don't live in anything resembling a swing state, so it's not a great loss.

Also, file this under "1st world problems": that awkward moment when you realize you just sneezed so hard that your half-finished cough drop went flying out of your mouth at high velocity and stuck to the wall. Dislodge and throw it away, unwrap another and start over. These things cost money, dang it!

My life sucks so badly I'm just going to post some highlights here.

- The way people keep filling up my calendar with meetings there is no way I'll have the demo ready for next week's tradeshow.

- Let alone tomorrow afternoon when the CEO wants to see it.

- Fights with the wife: Let kid fall asleep in front of the TV, left popcorn in the trunk of the car, had to ask how to microwave a chimichanga, forgot to empty a wastebasket.

- Wheel fell off the car. No one got hurt. Many jokes about the wheels literally falling off in my life.

- $440 to fix the wheel. Shouldn't complain since that was way lower than I thought it could get. Still awaiting the bill for associated bodywork.

- Missed a typo in the latest Shadowfist expansion. I'm only one of many on the playtest list but I feel bad I didn't go over the last PDF.

- Yard is trashed.

- House is trashed.

- Wife keeps buying stuff that we have no room for. Seriously the clutter pisses me off more than the bills.

I know how you feel about clutter. Both sets of our Parents have now moved to Old Folk's Condos and so have given back boxes and paintings and God knows what all that they have held for us in their attics all these years. Also We have plenty of clutter of our own as we are both Pack-Rats. We are Hosting this Thanksgiving, so must clear out living/dining area. Help.