The cranky thread

Hermit

Two minor cranks.

Had to go to the hospital to have my eyes checked but freaked when they tried to put the drops in. They were trying to test pressure after a failed attempt at the opticians. There is nothing wrong with the eyes other than not being able to test the pressure.

Went to the station to get the evening paper with the magazine only to find they do not do the magazine any more. 

Two minor cranks.

Had to go to the hospital to have my eyes checked but freaked when they tried to put the drops in. They were trying to test pressure after a failed attempt at the opticians. There is nothing wrong with the eyes other than not being able to test the pressure.

Went to the station to get the evening paper with the magazine only to find they do not do the magazine any more. 

hope your eyes improve DT

Oven died.  Needs a new controller board.  Just get a new one right?  Nope, no longer manufactured.  Even tried ebay.  Oh well, buy the wife a new oven, right?  Nope, it's a drop-in built into the counter, and it's a weird size--27" wide as opposed to the standard 30".  They still make 27" ovens... the exact same model, for twice as much as what the standard ones cost.  Options:

1) Pay $1200 plus install for an oven that was obsolete in the nineties.

2) Pay $800 for a new standard oven, plus $thousands to rebuild that part of the kitchen counter and surrounding cabinetry.

3) Attempt to fix the existing control board with a multimeter and a soldering iron and no idea what the exact problem is.  What could possibly go wrong?

4) Live without an oven forever.

5) Burn the f_ing house down for the insurance money.

Leaning toward 5) at the moment.

Two minor cranks.

Why couldn't they test the pressure successfully at the Opticians?  Oh, wait, Optician, not Opthalmologist.   Were they using the old air pressure tester?  Apparently I have very tight eyelids and blink quickly.  This gave multiple bad readings and false high readings.  Then my Eye Doctor got a new tester, and it worked perfectly every time.   Then he retired, and I ended up at one I don't particularly like, who charged me an astronomical amount.  No vision insurance, of course...

After incautiously mentioning at dinner with the dean and provost last night that we'd had a couple of star parties in the last three months on the roof using the telescope in the dome there, I expect now that we'll be prohibited from doing that again, and probably they'll take the bill for changing the locks out of our budget.

I utterly despise small-souled administrative types.

I love the internet. I met you guys on the internet. I met the best friend of my adulthood here (hi Log-Man!) and I met my lady love here. 

I love MMO's and Youtube videos that have introduced me to BBC Comedies and comedians and bands and technologies I never would have encountered with out it. 

No internet, no spotify, no Pandora, no IT career. Love information, titliation, recreation...you see where I'm going.

I hate the internet at the same time.

the casual racism, sexism, cyberbullying, wars on our privacy, our personal information being sold to the lowest bidder, countless flame wars over creepy subjects. I don't get out as much as I used to there are thorns on my cyberrose. 

The internet occasionally makes it difficult for me to believe "There are more good people than bad people." I mean we have some arguments here in HEROland but this place is a sanctuary of sanity compared to the dreaded "Comments" sections of any public website. Nothing makes a horrible story about the possibility of a beloved sports figure being a serial rapist uglier than reading pages of vitriolic mouthbreathers using the possibility to "prove their Point" that black men are beasts, Richie Incognito is getting a bum rap when this guy is 10 times worse, oh the lying sluts are making it up...doesn't matter what side you're on reading the story (which is like 4 paragraphs) you're emotionally drained by the endless, cacophonous  crowing about people who treat us all like we're in their horrible little club. 

I sometimes hate being in that club. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot (a little bit of self-harming curiosity at times though) I avoid these things like the plague, but at the same time I hang out on Reddit, and occasionally I feel a bit picked up when I read opinions similar to mine...but it's dangerous to read because I always end up a little bit deader of the soul. 

Anyway, just had to get that off my fingertips. The apartment complex gets touchy when I scream and pound the walls.