The cranky thread

Hermit

Being informed means you know what to worry about -- no information means the worries can be very broad.

Ain't that the truth. I heard the news shortly before I went to work. All I had to go on until I got home was that my dad was in ICU. I was half-expecting to hear a message that he had passed away. It was pretty tough keeping it together at work today.

As if we didn't have enough problems, some (*&(*^&**%(()*()*)(*)(&&*%^&$%^&&*(&( broke out my wife's driver side window while she was at work.  They stole a couple used books that were Christmas presents, but that isn't the big problem.  Now I have to find money to replace the window, and figure out how to replace it.   Oh, and that was the day the temperature plunged to the lowest temps in about 3 years.   Subzero at night, I am still trying to thaw out our wellhead.  

I have no sympathy for thieves in general.   I am trying to think that maybe they were desparate for gifts for some kids, and recognized the books, but...   It isn't working very well.

This year has been ridiculously busy since the start, but even though we have more techs on the road than we ever had, it's just getting worse. See, for example, what I have on my plate for tomorrow

I managed to get everything for today done by 2:30, and told work, then went home. Then got a phonecall begging me to go back out and do a job they had put on the wrong person by mistake. And NOW I see what tomorrow's work is like - 14 pages of stuff that must be done tomorrow, when over a third of that I could have done today, if they'd bothered to tell me when they talked to me this afternoon. Including a bee job, where bees are nesting in a cardboard box at a building site. They expect me to remove the box, too. How, pre-***ing-cisely? I am somewhat reluctant to carry a boxful on enraged and dying bees in the van with me. Did I mention I'm allergic?

And of course, no-one is answering the phone regarding my complaints about this. I suspect I'm going to have to start at 5AM. If any of the neighbours complain about the noise, I will heartily recommend they ring my office.

NOT F***ING IMPRESSED

We lost a new cashier this week. 

Hard working, lively, fun, eager to please, a real good girl. Studying hard, in a choir, nice boyfriend. I quite liked her. Can you tell?

Oh, and she was unbelievably light fingered. Usually, we find thieves by stochastic analysis of till contents because they have the sense to try to hide their activities, but this girl was setting off every alarm you can imagine, and then some. Phones missing, bottles of pop and water drunk and stashed for the janitors to find... You can get away with that kind of stuff for a while, but we've got cameras, and they're not just for show.

At some point, you've got to think that it was thrill-seeking as much as anything else. (Although if she knew fences for the phones, then she's at least a bit into the unsavoury side of life.) And then you think about the behaviour and realise that you were looking at what makes maniacs (in the technical sense) so popular. They're fun to be around, in a watching-someone-self-destruct-kind-of-way. 

I wish we were better at spotting people whose apparently positive personality features were, in fact, so dangerous. From narcissists to sociopaths to borderline personality "good time girls,"* they can do a lot of damage in the process of slowly destroying themselves.

*There's a feminist critique of the borderline personality disorder that says that it is basically the psychiatric profession medicalising female behaviour. Maybe. I think that it's more likely that our ability to recognise personality disorders skews by gender, so that it is hard to tell BPD from "ideal" female behaviour, and, perhaps, sociopathy from "ideal" manliness.

Today I got my wife's window replaced.  Only $150, so not as bad as I feared.  The first place I called wanted $165 for the window, and almost as much for installation.  Oh, apparently a woman (on video she looks suspiciously like a Meth head)  tried to return the stolen USED books to a different branch of the store my wife works at.  I seriously doubt that our PD will bother to follow up even though they now have the identity, because it was "only property crime."   

I managed to defrost the pump house, so we had water that night. The next day the PUMP would NOT run at all.  I was almost certain the pump was fried.  After a lot of messing around, I replaced the pair of circuit breakers that controlled the two legs of the 230V pump.  Both were bad, as soon as I replaced them, it worked.  The problem is, I  am still afraid it was an electrical problem in the Pump that caused them to go bad.   So I am just hoping it keeps working...

Tomorrow my brother, my dad and I have a meeting with a Social worker from the in home health care company one of the Doctors prescribed.    This should be "Interesting."  That is about the best thing I can say about it. 

*There's a feminist critique of the borderline personality disorder that says that it is basically the psychiatric profession medicalising female behaviour. Maybe. I think that it's more likely that our ability to recognise personality disorders skews by gender, so that it is hard to tell BPD from "ideal" female behaviour, and, perhaps, sociopathy from "ideal" manliness.

As the former spouse/victim of a woman with BPD, I must strongly disagree with this. There is absolutely nothing "ideal" about their behavior in the slightest.*

*And since this is, after all, the "cranky" thread, I should add that my tolerance for BS is at a particularly low ebb today....

WTF!?!?!! The upper radiator hose split -- no, probably burst -- at the corner of Broadway & James. At first I thought there was a fire in the engine compartment. Thankfully it was only a downhill block and a half to the parking garage where I can leave the car for up to three days.

Hope I can replace this myself. That's a task for this afternoon once I get my grades posted.

Upper radiator hose shouldn't be too bad in terms of cost or difficulty.  The last time I lost a radiator hose I was lucky enough to have a six pack of bottled water in the car; I only had to pull over twice to top off on the way to the shop.  Apparently the motor oil from the leaking head gasket isn't good for hoses.

I'm in a particularly bad mood today. I'm going to spend WAY too much time at my parents place putting up some #$#$ing shed. Hopefully my folks won't have some #$#ing breakdown. Two out of three times the last times I spent with them, they took turns.  Even when I get  back home, I will have to spend two weeks with a relative stranger (See handle if you wonder why this sort of thing is stressful for me) because the folks he was housesitting for changed their plans and kicked him out with so much as a how do you do. So while I may resent the intrusion, I'm not going to throw him out on the street either. So the holidays, which normally are okay once Christmas is actually over, are going to continue to start earlier and end later in their annoyance.

Oh, and an order I placed a while back is now late.

Meanwhile, two friends have been stupid and I can't help them. I'm so tired of being helpless to help loved ones that I could just puke. It's been going on for almost two years now. I honestly think its influencing my health. I'm breaking out in some sort of rash and I think its stress related. Alas, it's not in the budget to get sick.

Upper radiator hose shouldn't be too bad in terms of cost or difficulty.  The last time I lost a radiator hose I was lucky enough to have a six pack of bottled water in the car; I only had to pull over twice to top off on the way to the shop.  Apparently the motor oil from the leaking head gasket isn't good for hoses.

Well, so far I've spent about $25 on it. I've replaced the hose AFAICT correctly, and refilled the radiator with coolant (about 3/4 gallon), and filled the coolant jug with water and screwed the top back on and left that jug in the car in the event I need it. I'll be driving the car to the shop since it's time for an LOF anyway, and since they replaced the radiator and the hoses about 11 months ago I can hand them the ruptured hose and ask them to check what I've done. Haven't driven the car yet, as I am back in the office after about two hours of mostly walking (to and from the auto parts store, from and to and from the garage, as I needed to borrow and then return a pair of vicegrips from the lab manager's store to move the hose clamps. We'll see.

A day may come when a certain client thinks ahead, when he does not request yet more changes to what he already changed. But it is not this day. A day when he actually uses the test server before telling us to take it live and then freaking out because things aren't like he wanted them! But it is not this day!