The cranky thread

Hermit

Didn't have to.  Stuck out the day at work, didn't get a whole lot done.  Did get the investigator what he needed for the search warrant, so that was good.

Meanwhile, it turns out not to have been the oxygen sensor.  There's still an outside chance it's the distributor, but if not, then it's the ECU ($150) or the throttle position sensor ($12) that's permanently riveted onto the throttle body ($500).  Kinda unhappy with the entire concept of internal combustion engines, at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, I'm sure nothing ever goes wrong with the network.

My helpdesk admin is on vacation this week, and I swear if I get another weird Windows login problem I'm going to go mad.  Well, you know, more mad.

Well. head of IT can do network stuff. And we've got a couple of CAD guys who have been pressganged into helping our Vancouver and Seattle Offices. 

The stuff Andy did with the databases however, will be very difficult to do, we're going for outsourcing on those at the moment.

Oddly enough they didn't bump me from 30/wk to full time. I've been asked to be on call - more so than I am now...so we'll see how that works. Since my second/night job is On call as well :P 

I may go crazy(er).

Oh look, another report on how IT job satisfaction is dipping...

Well. head of IT can do network stuff. And we've got a couple of CAD guys who have been pressganged into helping our Vancouver and Seattle Offices.

This is pretty typical for IT I'm afraid. Sure, the head of IT can do network stuff, and the CAD guys can help out, but didn't they already have full time work before this was added to their plate? It's fine of the reduced headcount is temporary, but it might behoove the head to make sure vacancies get backfilled in a timely manner.

I've gotten myself into a lot of trouble this way at points in my career, because there's all kinds of things I can do, but if I work more than 50 hours a week, it all gets done pretty badly.

This is pretty typical for IT I'm afraid. Sure, the head of IT can do network stuff, and the CAD guys can help out, but didn't they already have full time work before this was added to their plate? It's fine of the reduced headcount is temporary, but it might behoove the head to make sure vacancies get backfilled in a timely manner.

I've gotten myself into a lot of trouble this way at points in my career, because there's all kinds of things I can do, but if I work more than 50 hours a week, it all gets done pretty badly.

Well the Seattle guy was a student and he's going from part-time CAD guy to full time CAD/IT Point of Contact. And really he'll be used to shuffle things to me but has admin rights to install software or help guys reset passwords. 

The Vancouver guy? yeah. I know what you mean, but that's where Head IT guy is. So...

I'm about 20 minutes away from work on foot, and for most things I'd probably just log in from home after hours. I have GRAVE concerns about my readiness for this. I don't want to be exposed as a weak link when they need me. But again, summer is our easiest time and if we move with relative smoothness through to winter...I'll have nice resume fodder.

Two things I know for sure, while they welcome me to work whatever, I have not been asked to assume full time duties. Just to "Be available if possible." red flag one.

No mention made of compensation beyond we'll pay you your hours. So we'll see. 

Wednesday was the last day of school for Tavish, our 8 year old.   The night before, he started throwing up and having the other end problems.   I had heard from another parent that one of his classmates had it the week before...

He was mostly over it by Wednesday night.  

At about 1 AM Thursday I got hit by it.   :sick:  I had not been feeling good, but...    MASSIVE vomiting.  Diarrhea too.   The Vomiting was so intense that I nearly aspirated some of it, simply because I could not get a breath between convulsive spasms.   The spasms left my ribs hurting like I had over exerting BADLY.  5 hours later, my wife started the same symptoms...   We both had "stomach pain" once the initial phase was over that we could not tell whether it was muscular or some kind of irritation/inflammation in the stomach.  

So, Tavish was back up and bouncing in under 36 hours.   Today, SUnday, was the first day my wife and I felt up to getting out of bed for more than about 5 minutes at a time due to weakness, unsteadiness, and pain. 

.   I don't know what the bug was, but we did not go to Church, or anywhere else for fear of infecting some of the elderly in our community.  I did finally go to the grocery store today, but I was finally feeling human, only slightly weak. 

Usually when he gets a cold or flu, we get a weaker version, probably because of exposure to similar bugs over the years.  So why did this one last twice as long for us?  

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not a cold or flu this time, but something gastro, like a rotavirus. Glad you're surviving okay. Stay hydrated.

Yeah, sounds like rota. Highly contagious little suckers. In winter, we get epidemics of them -- at the hospital.

Yeah, Tavish seemed to get a minor relapse too.    Better now, but...   Man that was ugly.  

Well, today my wife's boss was fired.   He was, IMO VERY good at his job.   Corporate just can't seem to get it through their heads that just because a store is clean, there are things besides bad management that can cause sales to not keep going up.   The reason it appears some of the other stores are doing better?   They are finally doing the same things HE has been doing for years.  

The Industry is in a bind, and corporate also won't recognize that GOOD customer service is one of the only real strengths they have compared to to internet sales.  The other one they have is that people can actually see merchandise, handle it...

So now everything is up in the air.  

I need to pull more out of my retirement plan, since I have yet to find work.   The fund is getting rather skimpy...   If they decide to clean house...   I don't know what to do. 

Man, I could use a few less "Challenges" in my life.  

No job prospects for me just yet, and I have yet to receive any unemployment compensation. I really don't know how I'm going to pay the bills.

On another note, I just learned that one of the local TV stations will no longer be airing imports from Europe via MHz Worldview starting the 15th of this month. I have been enjoying these shows a lot. All good things come to an end, I guess.

Well, today my wife's boss was fired.   He was, IMO VERY good at his job.   Corporate just can't seem to get it through their heads that just because a store is clean, there are things besides bad management that can cause sales to not keep going up.   The reason it appears some of the other stores are doing better?   They are finally doing the same things HE has been doing for years.  

The Industry is in a bind, and corporate also won't recognize that GOOD customer service is one of the only real strengths they have compared to to internet sales.  The other one they have is that people can actually see merchandise, handle it...

So now everything is up in the air.  

I need to pull more out of my retirement plan, since I have yet to find work.   The fund is getting rather skimpy...   If they decide to clean house...   I don't know what to do. 

Man, I could use a few less "Challenges" in my life.  

My sympathies to you and your wife's boss. I know not all corporations are like this, but the disposable people attitude they have towards employees who have gotten the job done for years, and done well never fails to rankle me.