The cranky thread

Hermit

No job prospects for me just yet, and I have yet to receive any unemployment compensation. I really don't know how I'm going to pay the bills.

On another note, I just learned that one of the local TV stations will no longer be airing imports from Europe via MHz Worldview starting the 15th of this month. I have been enjoying these shows a lot. All good things come to an end, I guess.

Good luck. 

My sympathies to you and your wife's boss. I know not all corporations are like this, but the disposable people attitude they have towards employees who have gotten the job done for years, and done well never fails to rankle me.

A very large part of me wants to blame it on "business schools" and their apparent focus on monetary bottom line, with little reference to how one really gets it. 

That and the Wall Street obsession with Quarterly reports.    And bonuses based on such reports...

• 2 weeks later...

After running around for a couple of weeks putting out fires, I misinterpreted an order in an email and worked on a long-scheduled project involving techs from two companies and folks from two of our departments today instead of letting them reschedule (which wasn't really possible--their "go live" is just a few days away) and running around putting out another "urgent" fire. I'm tired, and I'm making stupid mistakes, and it won't surprise me if I get a writeup tomorrow for trying to do the right thing. I'd try to schedule time off, but the next fire is likely to go off Tuesday.

And the fear is setting in. 

I like my job. It has it's faults (Not full time, underpaid) but I LIKE where I am. Valuable experience for an older guy breaking into IT and by and large great people to work with.

And then last month after I got back from vacation...they laid off the Systems Administrator. 

This guy was full time and the Sole SQL server guy. I didn't have any clue as to the issues with him but they were there. I can't argue with them laying him off but...

They didn't bump me to full time. So today's IT meeting ended with the Head of IT discussing the plan of outsourcing some of the stuff Sysadmin used to do. And how bloody expensive it will be. 

The response was, "Well Chad hasn't really had his workload increase since we let Sysadmin go. We're not sure where you're coming from."

I'm desktop support, my Network Admin experience is nil but I have some knowledge of it. I'm picking up some of the slack there but I was THE Help Desk guy before and I'm still that. We're in our slow (for the IT department) part of the year where the Industrial Hygiene guys are all out doing field work. So my workload wasn't going to be much higher. But the Head of IT...who was already working 50 hours a week...has had to pick up the bulk of the Sysadmin duties as well as having people go to him with problems Sysadmin was the only one who knew how to deal with. The Consultants we were talking about haven't been contacted and Head of IT is back to where he was before I got hired. Working horrible hours and still answering phone calls for Flash Player installs. 

And I knew I had nothing to help him with...and I had nothing to say at the meeting, but if we add another 30 employees and go through with the GoTo Training with our head Trainer who does Asbestos and other Refreshers for people all over the country but I am the AV chief so will be having people calling me when they can't connect...

in addition to my regular work and IT support ends at 2:30 which is great when it's slow but when it gets busy I suspect I'll be working closer to 40 hours (can't complain there) but still being underpaid...

I don't really want to look for a new job. But I know that IT Head is seriously doing so. And he has every reason. It's a good company...they do work I'm proud to support. But they're making...bad IT decisions which seems to be the way of the world. 

I will suck it up and work with a new IT head, cause I'm not capable of taking over, even if they offered; or rather, I might actually be able to pull it off as much of this stuff is GUI based now and with google and time you can pretty much get it all...but I am NOT looking to be an IT manager. Especially not for a company that treats theirs like this.

*sigh*

Updated my resume tonight. Did a few searches. I feel ill. Thank God I don't have a family to worry about. I can make decisions like this easier when I'm only worried about me  

Sorry to hear that. I was able to make negotiate with some of my debtors today. It's a short-term solution, but it will give me time to breathe. I really hope I can find a job soon. I'm so tired of being broke and in debt all the time.

Thanks. And best of luck on your search.

Updated my resume tonight. Did a few searches. I feel ill. Thank God I don't have a family to worry about. I can make decisions like this easier when I'm only worried about me  

Are you willing to look in Iowa? We have some openings in the IT department of my company. It's a great company and department.

Dude,  I hope you don't take offense if  I send a prayer up on your behalf.

Decisions, decisions.

Take a job I don't really want (involving a pay cut and a long commute), or stay unemployed and uncertain about the future?

Either way, I'm screwed.

Edit: I told myself not to take a job that would only make me miserable and felt better. Still, I need to figure out where to go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be stuck with this damned catheter for the rest of my life.  I have a hyper-clotting disorder and a very weak overall vascular system, meaning that I can't support a normal access; they put one in my chest, connected to one of the biggest blood vessels in my body, and it failed.  It's not worth it to try a leg graft, and the odds of a transplant taking are so slim that it would be irresponsible and wasteful to try.

My two cats both fell ill and passed over the last month or so.