A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

shadowcat1313

Re: A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

At the risk of being pelted with numerous stale fried-banana-and-peanut-butter

sandwiches, I have to ask:

Are you by any chance referring to Elvis?

Major Tom :fear:

Elvis? I never even thought of Elvis.

I assumed it was a reference to Ash, that loveable Chainsaw Warrior. And if he's on the team we get an employee discount at S-Mart. :thumbup:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find this thread 'til today, but I did run LXG 2004 at Gen Con this year. The cast I chose to use was:

Michael Emerson (older brother, temp vampire from The Lost Boys)

Seth Gekko (From Dusk til Dawn)

Charlene McGee (Firestarter)

Edward Scissorhands

Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman)

Elijah Price (Mr. Glass from Unbreakable)

Willard Stiles (Willard)

Serefine Pigot (American Werewolf in Paris)

Nice team! A great variety of abilities/skills... should be able to mix it up in almost any arena.

My brother and I actually planned this out - including most of the cast - on our way back from Gen Con 2003. The villains of the piece were Steve Austin and Skynet / Terminators.

So Steve was the origin? Interesting. Will have to file that away for future consideration. :sneaky:

I recently read the second collection. Some parts were cool... MUCH OF IT SUCKED!!! The first book was better, but...

I'll stick with the movie version mostly, thank you very much.

Is this being based more on the flavor of the comics (graphic novels)' date=' or that crappy movie that they spawned ? Since you're mentioning Dorian Grey, I'd have to suspect the latter. Nina Murray, she'd divorced and gone back to her maiden name in the comics, but I guess they figured that trying to figure out who this was would have been a stretch for most of their target audience, wasn't NEARLY the same if you compare the two. In the comics, her only real "power" was a bit of "persuasion", not the flying she-vamp of the film. And while none of them were saints, other then Hyde, they weren't monsters either.[/quote']

Why was Steve Austin a villain? And which version, TV or original book?

I didn't find this thread 'til today, but I did run LXG 2004 at Gen Con this year. The cast I chose to use was:

Michael Emerson (older brother, temp vampire from The Lost Boys)

Seth Gekko (From Dusk til Dawn)

Charlene McGee (Firestarter)

Edward Scissorhands

Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman)

Elijah Price (Mr. Glass from Unbreakable)

Willard Stiles (Willard)

Serefine Pigot (American Werewolf in Paris)

My brother and I actually planned this out - including most of the cast - on our way back from Gen Con 2003. The villains of the piece were Steve Austin and Skynet / Terminators. When choosing cast we tried to stick with some of the concepts that Mr. Moore advocated -- relatively obscure, often with a shady past. As pointed out in this tread, we avoided comic book characters as too easy. And, yes, it was run in Hero system.

I hope that all of you that said you'd play in this type of a game had a chance to play. I intend to run again next year, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone that played.

And keep up the thread -- a lot of great ideas are out there that I hadn't thought of. Nothing says the cast will stay static from year to year.

--Rich Bowers

I meant which version of Steve Austin was used, and separately, why/ how did he become a villain. :)

Now if he was cheesed off because Jamie ran off with the Man from Atlantis, and looking for revenge... ;)

Steve Austin was never a villain in the book' date=' but I can see how he might become one in the service of Skynet. :)[/quote']

Guest Major Tom

Elvis? I never even thought of Elvis.

I assumed it was a reference to Ash, that loveable Chainsaw Warrior. And if he's on the team we get an employee discount at S-Mart. :thumbup:

I guess you missed the part of Champsguy's post where he uses the line "Hail

to the King, baby". I would've thought that that line alone would have been

enough to indicate that it was Elvis who was being referred to.

Major Tom :rolleyes:

I guess you missed the part of Champsguy's post where he uses the line "Hail

to the King, baby". I would've thought that that line alone would have been

enough to indicate that it was Elvis who was being referred to.

Major Tom :rolleyes:

"Hail to the King, baby" is also an Ash line. :)

Coming in late and too lazy to read back over the thread so sorry if these ones have been listed or are not appropriate, but I think that a League of Extraordinary Gentleman with contemporary literary figures would be well suite by the following members:

Jack/Tyler Durden- doesn't sleep, insane pain threshold, decnt combatant and can blow up just about anything using common household components and soap :thumbup:

Hannibal Lecter- Insane and psychotic, he could act as the team scholar as well as keeping control over Jack/Tyler. Which leads me to:

Clarice Starling- the team government liason and a hell of a mean shot herself. Also, she is a skilled undercover agent and behavioral studies agent.

Shadow- The protagonist of American Gods has seen some weird shit, has developed a few useful powers and is almighty big and scary. Plus, he's a student of slight of hand and seems very good at finding the right thing to say to get others to help him. He's also Odin's youngest son.

Can't think of any more right now, except maybe one or two members of the cast of Neverwhere.

Hello!l I am PAxmedic's aforementioned brother. We put the team together based on Common public name recognition, which sadley leaves ALOT of fine literary characters out...we chose to go off of movies for the game, for that reason. We also prefferred characters who NEEDED something from being in the LXG...look at Moore's team: Nemo was a criminal, Hyde and Griffin both psychotics...Glad to hear people like Willard, I fought tooth and nail to keep him in the group...lost the fight for Hannibal Lecter...but Mr. Glass ended up working much better.

I plan on running a comedy version of the game at GENCON next year..the LEague of Unextrraordinary gentelmen....here are my cast ideas:

Ash (Evil Dead)

Mario Mario (Super Mario Brothers)

Teen Wolf

Scott Tracker (M.A.S.K.)

Johnny Cage (Mortal Kombat)

Emmit Brown (BAck to the Future)

MArvin Mange (the Animal)

The idea is , obviously, a comedy game. Always open for suggestions and input

• 6 months later...

League 2005

I will be running a modern day LXG event at GenCon again this year. Also will run a LXG 1930's starring some of the great pulp characters of the time.

The roster is flexible enough that I might be persuaded to add a great suggestion to the game.

Rich Bowers

I know the 70s version was back a page or two, but I am surprised this thread got to almost 4 pages without someone nominating the coolest reformed criminal detective of the 70's for that team...James Rockford! Hell, most people born in the 70's only know the bootlegger driving maneuver as "pulling a Rockford". This guy was a reformed con man and petty thief turned P.I. perfect for a 70's (or possibly 80's) LXG.

To "Paxmedic" So who is in your 1930's "League" ? I assume that you are using fictional characters ? If so, do you start at the top with "Doc Savage" and "The Shadow" (who have VERY different approaches to crime fighting and might not get along too well). What of the crime fighters such as Professor Craig Kennedy or the psychic detective John Silence ? Or will you be inventing your own characters using perhaps some of the archetypes (The detective, The archaologist, The brilliant scientist etc ) ? Please tell us more !

I don't know what the rest of you folks think about this, but I suspect that a

modern LXG, no matter what its basic membership is, would draw the line at

including a known Satanist (LaVey) in its lineup.

That's just my opinion, though.

Two more problems:

A) Anton Levay = real person.

2) Anton Levay = a sad, pathetic joke.

Guest Major Tom

If having a somewhat shady background and useful skills are a prerequisite for

membership in the LXG, then this fellow should fit in rather nicely in a '70s or

later version: Alexander Mundy (It Takes A Thief, TV show from the '70s). He could fill the infiltrator/spy position with no problem whatsoever.

Another possible choice for membership in the '70s LXG and beyond would be

Luther, the Clint Eastwood character from Absolute Power (I'm drawing

a blank when it comes to remembering the last name of the character). Not

only does the guy have superb B&E skill, he's also a master of disguise and a

skilled forger to boot.

Major Tom :sneaky:

I can't believe all these people think Hannibal Lecter is so great. People, Will Graham put him behind bars, and effectively put paid to Francis Dolarhyde, the Red Dragon too. Hannibal Lecter is scary because he's evil. Will Graham should be scary if you're evil, because he's The Man. He can find you and identify you even if there's no rational way he should be able to do that. I know who I'd rather have as a partner, and who I would least want to have in a killer team hunting me.

If you need a chillingly ruthless, cold-blooded brilliant killer, fine: pick a winner who stayed out of jail (and the asylum), and one who had valid moral reasons as well as money and the thrill of outwitting others as motivations for her murderous, convoluted plot: Suzie Marie Toller, from Wild Things (1998). I would have full confidence in her to be the last woman standing in any battle of intriguer versus intriguer, and to make full use of clues gathered by other members of the League, whether by detective work, psychic senses or disguise. Suzie could play a role similar to that of the original LXG's (non-vampire) Mina Harker, getting along with mostly just a very strong personality.

May I recommend Cole Sear (the psychic kid from the Sixth Sense, 1999). Though, grown up a little and enriched by the beneficiaries of his remarkable talent, he might work better as the non-player-character patron of the team, starting the adventure by assembling the League and setting it on the trail of some ultra-crafty villain who had left no clues for the living to find.

I would back David Dunn (the Unbreakable) against the "unslayable" ghost, Dorian Grey. And the Unbreakable has a psychic touch. I really see no down side with this hero, except that he is so clearly a hero - and he's not even good as a switch villain, because he'd duplicate Dorian Grey too much. And he is a little obscure.

Bond, James Bond would be ideal except that he is a legendary hero - probably out of scope for the sinister League.

Lara Croft, with her own team in the background, should do. If even more killing power will be needed, or an action heroine with a more dubious background is preferred, substitute Beatrix Kiddo, The Bride.

If you really, really want to get heavy-duty there's Alice, from Resident Evil (both movies). The problem with Alice, apart from play balance, is the last scene in Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Though I like her, Alice looks more like a formidable problem for the League than a solution.

I agree with paxmedic that Charlene McGee (Firestarter) and Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman) would be mighty additions to the League. Simon Templar (the Saint) might be even better than Dr. Westlake, except for the heroic/sinister balance of the League.

Colossus: "Buffy Summers (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer): You simply need this character."

Hmm. OK, I have no argument against that.

By the way, I'm against The King. I have reason to believe he's a vampire. (Hence the sightings.)