Barrett announces 25mm man-portable assault cannon in testing

Chuckg

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_200481522.asp

"For some long-range sniper missions, a .50 caliber (12.7mm) round just isn’t big enough. The Barrett company, which pioneered the development of the modern .50 caliber sniper rifle, has now built a 25mm sniper rifle (although shoulder cannon may be a more precise term), the XM109. Ten prototype weapons are being made available for testing this month. Designed to destroy light armor, the XM109 is a semi-automatic 25mm rifle that has a 17.6 inch long barrel and an overall length of 46 inches. It weighs in at 46 pounds and has a 5 round magazine. In comparison, the Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle in general use today has a 29 inch barrel, overall length of 57 inches, and weighs in at a mere 32 pounds, with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds."

[...]

"Effective distance armor piercing “lethality†for the rifle is listed at 2000 meters. The 25mm round is derivative design from the AH-64 Apache helicopter’s M789 high-explosive dual purpose (good against armor and personnel) 30mm ammunition and will penetrate at least 50 millimeters of armor plating, making it capable of destroying light armored vehicles, SCUD launchers, and other equipment. According to the ammunition manufacturer, the 25mm round is 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. At some point the system will also be integrated to use 25mm airburst ammunition designed for the OCWS."

And this, folks, is real-world tech.

Puts that VIPER portable railgun into more perspective, don't it? :)

Re: Barrett announces 25mm man-portable assault cannon in testing

Where are the stats?! I want the stats!!! Would RKA 3.5d6 be enough . . . ?

The gun is listed as being able to penetrate 50mm of armor plate.

According to Fred 64mm of Medium armor is Def 13 and 9 Body, so it needs to do 22 Body, so assuming average results it's a 6d6 RKA, or more likely 4d6 AP. It's going to need increased range to be able to shoot out to 2000 meters. And then 2 clips of 5 charges. So:

4d6 APRKA, Increased Maximum range (105 points Active), 2 clips of 5 Charges, OAF, Real Weapon, Beam. Total cost 35 points (the real cost will drop if i can figure what STR min this beast should have)

and then for fun add

BORS +14 penalty levels with range (42 points active), OAF, Real weapon. Total Cost 19 points

The gun is listed as being able to penetrate 50mm of armor plate.

According to Fred 64mm of Medium armor is Def 13 and 9 Body, so it needs to do 22 Body, so assuming average results it's a 6d6 RKA, or more likely 4d6 AP. It's going to need increased range to be able to shoot out to 2000 meters. And then 2 clips of 5 charges. So:

4d6 APRKA, Increased Maximum range (105 points Active), 2 clips of 5 Charges, OAF, Real Weapon, Beam. Total cost 35 points (the real cost will drop if i can figure what STR min this beast should have)

and then for fun add

BORS +14 penalty levels with range (42 points active), OAF, Real weapon. Total Cost 19 points

Droooolllllll . . .

My wife says I can't have one, because I'd love it more than her. That's not . . . entirely accurate.

Can't have one anyway. Since the bore is over .60-caliber, the BATF would call it a "destructive device", not a "firearm".

Unless I'm way off base, that category requires a Class Four Federal Firearms License -- and that's the same one used for grenade launchers and anti-tank rockets.

IOW, not bloody likely. :)

This is one of the problems that comes up when people debate superheroes versus the military. The military is constantly finding ways to escelate the firepower level of their troopers. In a world with supertech as well as superheroes, that would go doubly so. As the previous poster said, this is a weapon that could take down a lot of superheroes. I'd even be curious to see what would happen to a brick like Colossus if you shot him with this weapon.

Given that he's significantly more durable than 2 inches of light armor, probably nothing short of a surface wound.

... OTOH, that's Colossus. There are *lots* of people less durable than him.

reminds me of the "small arms" in Mayfair's Underground "superpunk" game:

the pistols went up to 30mm, and IIRC there was a rifle of some kind that was 50mm(!).

Of course, in a world with ex-commandos with superpowers, that kind of ordnance is probably necessary ;)

Guest Major Tom

Oh, Lord... Someone at Barrett's been playing Shadowrun way too much

if you ask me (remember the Panther Assault Cannon from the Street

Samurai Catalog?).

Major Tom :bmk:

Can't have one anyway. Since the bore is over .60-caliber, the BATF would call it a "destructive device", not a "firearm".

Unless I'm way off base, that category requires a Class Four Federal Firearms License -- and that's the same one used for grenade launchers and anti-tank rockets.

IOW, not bloody likely. :)

Does that mean that the new 700 Nitro Express (.70-calibur) would be outlawed in the the US. H&H (the British big-game rifle company) is/was actually producing such a beast in 1999.

(the real cost will drop if i can figure what STR min this beast should have)

Given that this is a sniper rifle, and is most likely meant to be fired from a well-supported position, you could probably dispense with STR min and exchange it for some other limitation, like Extra Time (for aiming and recoil control after firing), or Concentration.

This is one of the problems that comes up when people debate superheroes versus the military. The military is constantly finding ways to escelate the firepower level of their troopers. In a world with supertech as well as superheroes' date=' that would go doubly so. As the previous poster said, this is a weapon that could take down a lot of superheroes. I'd even be curious to see what would happen to a brick like Colossus if you shot him with this weapon.[/quote']

Thank you. I will not start my usual rant. ;)

Not outlawed...

I think they are controlled, you have to register them and pay a "tax stamp."

Back in the Early 70s, there were Frequent adds for old WWII Finnish Lahti 20mm Anti tank rifles... They were light cannons on wheels/skis basically. :( I didn't have any money for one, I was only 8 or so. :(

Oh, btw-- The Barret is basically a high velocity Grenade Launcher. It has more kick than a .50 caliber BMG, but is nothing like even a moderate level 20mm cannon. The reason the 25mm Barrett (and the OCSW/OICW that use similar shells) is so effective is that it has a small shaped charge. The damage listed for 20mm and such are about right, if you ignore the fact that in addition to kinetic energy, they are usually filled with HE. And when they get bigger...

Oh, and I think the stat is that it is supposed to penetrate 70mm. The 40mm HEDP grenade will penetrate 50-70mm also...

Does that mean that the new 700 Nitro Express (.70-calibur) would be outlawed in the the US. H&H (the British big-game rifle company) is/was actually producing such a beast in 1999.