Does Sapphire bug anyone else?

Marchwarden

Re: Does Sapphire bug anyone else?

You really don't need to damage her looks or create a ugly stick to test her mettle. Really the first battle where she and the rest of Champion's get their butts handed to them could be a deal maker. If she was so worry about your image and knowing that one can not always win a particular battle and thus maybe looking bad, she would quit. But if she doesn't quit, it would mean that she has deep convictions without having half her family killed off or any of the half dozen comic book cliches. Beside even given today's technology one supermodel was able to have her face rebuilt after a terrible car wreck and in the Champion universe well all I can say there would be those who could help.

G

=The idea that a rockstar might have superpowers is not uncommon. Dazzler is the template for the mold' date=' and there are not many male players out there who have not designed a rocker character with his guitar focus at one time or another. :)[/quote'] VALHALLAN!!! :rockon:

Actually, Sapphire comes out a little shallow to me, but I kinda figured she was supposed to be that way. I mean, the whole bit Monolith mentioned about Madonna getting superpowers at 19...*shudder*...Sapphire is a freakin' saint compared to that nightmare.

Conversely, I'm starting to dislike Sapphire for one reason. Her costume. Trying to mod the belly gems on a Heroclix sized figure is going to make my eyes fall out.

Actually, Madonna with powers doesn't scare me that much. Madonna has been successful in part because she's a fairly savvy businesswoman who plays the media game extremely well. Shallow perhaps, but not stupid. Arnie is another guy with middling talent but he's smart as hell and so he's had a career where a lot of other guys with talent haven't.

Britney and JLo with powers do scare me.

Madonna would be like the Hellfire Club's White Queen.:) Blonde Ambtion, anyone?

Astro City: Confession is a good example of maturation. Bryan Kinney wants to be a superhero for the acclaim but comes to understand that being a hero means self-sacrifice and putting up with misunderstandings and bad press.

How frickin' high did you amp the killing damage?! You *do* realize that 4d6 RKA is supposed to be light artillery' date=' right??[/quote']

4d6 RKA is a lightning bolt, iirc. Anyone who can "hurl lightning bolts" can reasonably do this damage so it wouldn't be too amazing to see that level of damage from villains. But we're talking firearms - Off the top of my head, Nighthawk and Witchcraft can take body damage from a .45 (2d6) and both of them, plus Sapphie can take body damage from a 12 guage shotgun (2.5d6). Defender has just enough RPD to resist a maxed out 12 guage hit.

I don't care that she's not an "angsty mutant." The Champs universe (and other comics companies) has had mutants without angst for years and years. There's more to superherodom than x-titles, after all.

I don't care that she's not an "angsty mutant." The Champs universe (and other comics companies) has had mutants without angst for years and years. There's more to superherodom than x-titles' date=' after all.[/quote']

Comic's outside the X-titles?? SACRALIDGE!

RE: How high I kicked up the killing damage. All of 3d6+1, 50 active points and *well* within logic based on Ultimate Vehicle and some of the equipment given to the police in Millenium City.

RE: Her outfit. Personally I took the line about how she changes outfits to heart and basically adopted the "Wasp Effect", every appearance is a different outfit.

To quote The Ancheta "I am the Sacrilegious Blasphemer.... or is that Blaspheming Sacrileger?"

The mutant angst thing was old hat already in the early 80's. They've been beating that dead horse so much, people have to say "why are those colorfully dressed people stomping on that crusty brown stain?" ;)

Then what do you call translated Manga? Manga=Comic Books, and not = X-Men (unless you ARE talking about X-Men Manga, or the Marvel Mangaverse).

And, to be on the record, I like Sap. I also like her tied to the train tracks, but that is the old melodramatic villian in me speaking.

4d6 RKA is a lightning bolt' date=' iirc. Anyone who can "hurl lightning bolts" can reasonably do this damage so it wouldn't be too amazing to see that level of damage from villains. But we're talking firearms - Off the top of my head, Nighthawk and Witchcraft can take body damage from a .45 (2d6) and both of them, plus Sapphie can take body damage from a 12 guage shotgun (2.5d6). Defender has [i']just enough[/i] RPD to resist a maxed out 12 guage hit.

I don't care that she's not an "angsty mutant." The Champs universe (and other comics companies) has had mutants without angst for years and years. There's more to superherodom than x-titles, after all.

Oh, yes, they *theoretically* can take a little damage from said guns, but remember the probability spread. The odds of getting any Body damage at all from a 2d6 RKA is only 1 in 12, and even than only 1 or 2 Body. For all intents and purposes, they can take small arms fire without significant harm.

Then what do you call translated Manga? Manga=Comic Books, and not = X-Men (unless you ARE talking about X-Men Manga, or the Marvel Mangaverse).

Ummm, I think he was trying to be funny there. Sarcasm doesn't travel well on message boards.

Oh' date=' yes, they *theoretically* can take a little damage from said guns, but remember the probability spread. The odds of getting any Body damage at all from a 2d6 RKA is only 1 in 12, and even than only 1 or 2 Body. For all intents and purposes, they can take small arms fire without significant harm.[/quote']

Er, perhaps you missed that this was support of "half the team can take body damage from what cops normally carry" in the face of someone claiming they must have given all their cops anti-tank weapons. No more, no less.

However, keep in mind that things like cops, agents, gang members and soldiers come in large groups. Their DCVs aren't good enough to withstand a bunch of guys shooting at them with sidearms and that 1 in 12 will come up a lot more often when they hit (compared to maxing out 10d6 normal).

Taking ANY body is already significant harm. These same firearms can lay them out cold pretty easily. Witchfire and Nighthawk are looking at 10-20% of their body being pegged out from a solid shot - they are also looking at more risk from a 12 guage (only need avg +2 to start doing body).

Now if we want to talk lethal, they're all in big danger (since 2 of those are force fields) and even the one who maintains his defense when stunned or KOed has his focused... not that it matters with the coup de grace rule. Most games aren't like this, of course, so let's not even consider it...

That's just mundane weapons, let's look at something they are more likely to face... a couple squads of Viper guys...

Look at these sample agent weapons (picked out KA ones):

No Viper rka pistol does less than 2d6 RKA, pistols get up to 3d6 AP RKA. Just a 2d6 RKA AP is doing damage on average rolls vs a couple of them and, as I'll show below, 5 Viper agents with 2d6 RKA AP pistols will, in turn, assuming all average rolls, knock out half the body stat of 2 of the Champions in a single phase and very likely will have taken them out of the fight (even just their 7d6 EB blaster pistols will, on average, knock out half the team in a single phase).

Viper rka rifles do 2d6+1 AF (same gun does 3d6 single shot) up to 5d6 RKA.

A normal agent has OCV 5, 2 levels with viper weapons, plus up to 3 more for the gun's value (+1) plus aiming lasers (+1-2). So their OCV ranges from 8 to 10. Not counting maneuvers, the Champions all have DCVs of 7-8. A squad or two of agents can do some serious harm to the Champs and any agent attack is going to be more than two to one odds if they actually are planning on winning. Agents backing up a couple Viper villains will pretty much spell doom for the Champs.

Don't even have to look at heavy weapons and grenades, but they are sure going make life even worse.

Don't mistake this for me saying all heroes should be bulletproof, but the Champs can be in a lot of danger when the guns start coming out.

:)

Well I guess if all your agents and such are gonna bust out RKA's all the time then I suppose they would be in trouble' date=' but they'd be fairly ok against average agent's weilding energy weapons designed as EB's wouldn't they?[/quote']

They aren't going to be relying on batons and harsh language. ;)

Well, the Champs wouldn't be in "mortal danger" when facing down the EB weapons... but they're getting knocked out cold, all the same. In the same scenario, the Champs are in just as much danger of losing, they just won't be bleeding as much. I didn't even take into account teamwork on Viper's part for concentrating fire or coordinating or multiple attacker bonuses and such (or ambushes). It also depends on how many agents per superhero would be sent. Typically I see 3-5 per hero. 5 seems most reasonable to me. Every other team (or maybe even every team) would have a heavy weapons guy, too.

I always prefer my guns to be RKAs. Guns are for killing people. Especially for agents... less dice to doll. That's just me, though. If I'm trying to kill someone, I'll use a 2d6 RKA over a 7d6 EB any day even though the EB is, technically, more DCs.

My character Assault has always had a touch of "happy go lucky hero" about him, so I'm certainly not going to rain on Sapphire's parade for not being a self-pitying basket case.

On the other hand, I doubt Assault would give her the time of day if they met. Actually, I doubt Assault would find any of the 5th Ed Champions interesting. He'd probably get on well with Seeker though, at least once everybody's favourite swashbuckling Ninja put a shirt on, and bought some Combat Luck.

I wonder what the super stalker is worth as a hunted...

Let me think...As Powerful, at least 11- (if not more), NCI, and Capture/Kidnap (but will proably kill whoever is her curent boyfriend)...I would have to say at least 20 points easy.