Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

To the Jobs site I just tried to put my resume on...Look I can't really log on until you send me that confirmation email. And I've checked my spam filter and everything...yet nothing.

oh well.

By the way the No Experience - No Work thing is pissing me off. All my experience was in killing my soul. I'd like to branch out.

Ah. My issue seemed to be No Degree, or since I had experience in Programming, QA, and System Admin, they'd figure I would rather do one of the other items instead of the job I applied for.

Though I will have to say my working in animal welfare for the most part was better for the soul. And the current working for myself doesn't pay all that well, but it's better for my stress and I still do stuff for the animals. (Now if only I could sell just a bit more...)

Really? I save as obsessively as a 15 year old boy whacks off' date=' and I've never seen that one.[/quote']

It had to do with document size as well as save frequency. In other words it was expressly designed to cause the most possible damage.

Didn't follow it too closely, but:

Sometimes, even official malfeasance, sanctioned hysteria, and bigotry against tourists can be overcome.

If a court doubts the guilt then they can overturn the verdict. However I doubt their innocence. And her families behaviour at the initial trial beggers belief. Photographing the court room on phones and other devices in front of the world's media ? What on Earth ?

I side with the Italians waiting outside who gave the judge and the defence a hard time.

So if you have a rich boyfriend whose dad can get the pair of you a good lawyer then you too can murder a British girl abroad.

Didn't follow it too closely, but:

Sometimes, even official malfeasance, sanctioned hysteria, and bigotry against tourists can be overcome.

The Seattle paper -- and Knox is from around here -- has been unreservedly of the opinion that Knox's trial was a frame job from the outside, but there has been more or less no discussion of the actual evidence in any American source that I have encountered. I have noticed that, but other than make me check my bucket list and find that a trip to Italy involving wild sex with random people is no long on that list so I don't have to strike it off, I have not tried to learn much about the incident: it strikes me as another sensation fueled to sell media attention.

The coverage we have received here has all been focused on the trial process, the descriptions of which trigger just about all the USer alarms about foreign rigged verdicts, the antithesis of the "fair trial by one's peers" which is a cornerstone of the American justice system. That a young woman was raped and stabbed to death more or less is entirely overlooked in the coverage I've seen. In fact, though I was dimly aware that the murder victim was from the UK, that's about the only fact I knew about the incident itself.

Whereas if a Briton commits a crime abroad we tend to think that they are guilty. Except in a couple of cases which are all in the United States.

The Seattle thing has been mentioned prominently. But the Italians have taken great offence at American TV anchors disparaging their legal system and have pointed out that Italy unlike the US does not have a death penalty.

Whereas if a Briton commits a crime abroad we tend to think that they are guilty. Except in a couple of cases which are all in the United States.

The Seattle thing has been mentioned prominently. But the Italians have taken great offence at American TV anchors disparaging their legal system and have pointed out that Italy unlike the US does not have a death penalty.

Oh, that doesn't mean anything. NObody besides the US has a death penalty. ;)

JG

But the Italians have taken great offence at American TV anchors disparaging their legal system and have pointed out that Italy unlike the US does not have a death penalty.

I am not at all surprised that others are offended by US popular media depictions of their judicial/governmental processes. Heck, *I* am offended by them, because they get very little correct while pursuing maximum sensationalism.

Minor nit: only part of the US has the death penalty; it's a state-by-state thing. Washington (where I am, where Knox is from) technically has the death penalty still, though it has been a while since anyone was actually executed or the death penalty was sought by prosecutors. Even in the case of Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, they decided against trying to get the death penalty.

Washington (where I am' date=' where Knox is from) technically has the death penalty still, though it has been a while since anyone was actually executed or the death penalty was sought by prosecutors. Even in the case of Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, they decided against trying to get the death penalty.[/quote']

When you add up the financial cost to the state to deal with the near endless stream of appeals in a capital case, it is actually much cheaper for them to simply lock the guy away for the rest of his life. There are also plenty of folks out there who feel that life in prison is a far more fitting punishment for a killer than the "easy out" of an execution.

Minor nit: only part of the US has the death penalty; it's a state-by-state thing. Washington (where I am' date=' where Knox is from) technically has the death penalty still, though it has been a while since anyone was actually executed or the death penalty was sought by prosecutors. Even in the case of Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, they decided against trying to get the death penalty.[/quote']

That's not entirely true. Cal Coburn Brown of King County was executed at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla on September 9, 2011. Its true, since 1849 Washington has only executed 110 men (no woman has ever been sentenced to death in Washington... even for mass murders... where's the equality?!), but prosecutors do in fact seek and get the death penalty in Washington, even if its not a "hanging state."

Oh, wait, Washington is a hanging state - remaining the only state in the Union with an active gallows, which prisoners may select as an alternative to lethal injection. Its true, there have only been 5 executions in the past 17 years, but there are currently 12 men on death row in your state.

Also, they had Ridgeway dead to rights on seven counts and knew the death penalty was theirs for the asking. They would have, without a doubt, gotten it. Instead, they used it as leverage to get him to plead guilty to 48 counts of murder (they only had 42 cases they felt were linked to him at the time) and to reveal the locations the "still missing women" in order to give the family's some closure. They declined to charge him on 23 additional murders he confessed to under the agreement (71 total) because he couldn't locate/identify the bodies for them. Since then the KCSO has corroborated 1 of the outstanding 23 and made progress on six more.

In the prosecutors words, "We could have gone forward with seven counts, but that is all we could have ever hoped to solve. At the end of that trial, whatever the outcome, there would have been lingering doubts about the rest of these crimes. This agreement was the avenue to the truth. And in the end, the search for the truth is still why we have a criminal justice system ... Gary Ridgway does not deserve our mercy. He does not deserve to live. The mercy provided by today's resolution is directed not at Ridgway, but toward the families who have suffered so much..."

Also, they left themselves a loophole. There are four known Green River Killer victims (based on remains, pathology, etc) whose remains were found in Oregon in 1985 and were intentionally excluded from the plea bargain. Should authorities ever be able to build a case based on those Oregon is free to seek the death penalty. Its unlikely at this late stage, but the Green River Killer task-force is still an active unit in King County. They could hit the jackpot. And one of those four victims was last seen in Washington, which opens the door for Federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty as well - in that one case.

Washingtonians aren't blood-thirsty, but they don't object to the occasional execution - as recently as last year, in fact.

I'm sure the National Pork Industry is very happy and rich these days

Living high on the hog I'm sure.

as from what I've seen, if you aren't obsessed with bacon you are uncool and a loser.

C'mon people, bacon is nice, but it's not sex.

For one thing, it's legal to buy bacon.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is chewing the fat