"Use the Source, Fluke..." or Does you campaign have a central rationale?

nexus

In your (or your primary) Champions campaign do Super powers have a central source/rationale? Or do you go with a more "open" origin for supers? Perhaps something inbetween?

1. All powers have a common origin and there is a single explanation for why they break the laws of phyics.

2. All powers have similiar origin (all mutants) but there isn't really an explanation for them

3. Powers work because otherwise it would be a pretty dull comic game. Stop asking stupid questions.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: "Use the Source, Fluke..." or Does you campaign have a central rationale?

Well, in "After the Aliens: Awakening" there are two main, vague, sources of powers:

-Magic. Magic and the Supernatural is real. They _were_ beig all sneaky and stuff, but now the genie iso ut of the closet... (;))

-The Aliens. Since they have "sufficiently advanced technology", this is almost as vague. Especially since they include psi in their repertoire, and there's at least ONE tech aspect that in effect is "comic book radiation".

But, wide as that is, there are still limits. No super martial artists, unless they fall into one of the other categories (bioengineered, or just "mutated").

There's a degree of "it's magic/psionics" handwaving implicit, but IMO that's reasonable, given the premises.

#1, All powers have a common origin. Mine is lifted mainly from George R.R. Martin and Philip Jose Farmer, with a little bit of Mick Farren, Roger Zelazny and Robert A. Heinlein and as much strange conspiracy theory and real world history as I feel works. The characters from Ellis' Planetary would feel right at home in my campaigns.

My campaign world is a common origin, since I wanted to maintain the comic book convention of "super tech" not changing the world. So I had to have a reason for why the Ted the brilliant scientist could build power armor in his garage with parts from Radio Hut, and not get a contract from the US millitary.

Count me in the "anything goes" camp.

I don't generally have a lot of supers in my games, so each one is highly improbable to begin with.

Yesterday I wrote down a list of villains from the official CU I would be using in my next campaign: Thorn, Dr Macabre, Zorran, an unspecified Energy Projector, and "some bunch of aliens". I might also use Black Harlequin and Franklin Stone, and I will almost certainly add a mad scientist or two.

Atlantis, the Lemurians and the Empyreans definitely exist in my universe.

That's a pretty good summary of the range of origins I use:

Hidden Lands, Aliens, Mad Scientists, Theme villains, Wizards and maybe a radiation accident or two. The latter is by far the rarest category.

Throughout history there have been a small number of people who had the latent ability to alter or bend reality in accordance with their "residual self image," which is a nice way of saying their subconscious. In some cases people with the "gift" have been able, due to alterning their state of consciousness via chants, or meditations, or whatnot, to bend reality consciously. In many societies, especially in the past, this was called "magic."

Whether spiritual entities are in fact spiritual, or extra-dimensional beings, or something in-between has never been established. Also, because this is often a matter of states of consciousness, the rise of technology and the age of reason led to a diminishing of those who could make such conscious impacts - i.e. "wizards, etc" (not that they ever existed in great numbers). So much so that may question the existance of "magic" and the "gods of legend" was long a matter of scorn, relegated to cooks. This is also the explanation fo "weird experiments" like Jeckyl and Hyde, Frankenstein, and the invisible man. They were the products of a handful of people who who had the ability - through their subconscious - to will their experiments to work by bending the laws of science. Others, without this inherent ability, could not reproduce their work. And these events were so few and far between that people questioned their veracity in the first place.

In 1901 Count Wolfgang Eroberung, a genius of the first magnitude (some claim a meta-genuis) identified the source of this phenomenon - a recessive gene in fewer than one in a million people that, were it not to be recessive, would allow the people to have it to "manifest their subconscious vision." He also postulated that those who had not known what it was they were seeking (like frankenstein and jekyll) did not have the active gene, but rather recessive ones, and that those with active genes would explain the legends of the "gods of old" and various "supernatural phenomenon" such as magic, some monster legends, and even "the great miracles of the hebrews."

He then set out to develop a gene therapy that would cause those with the recessive gene to "go active" or "manifest" - many have theorized that he himself had the gene and intended to make himself "into a god." In 1912 he had his first success, though only a few members of the worlds governments, especially in fledgling intelligence circles, knew of it at the time. In WWI he used his formula/retrovirus/whatever to assist the central powers in fielding the word's first "manifests." In addition, based on his theories, the cental powers also pursued "mystic knowledge and artifacts." In any event, by wars end the world had seen, with a shudder, what someone who was "manifest" could do.

The sudden spike of manifest activity ended with the end of the war, with several of the manifests returning to normal life, but the world was more sensitive now, and during the 20's and 30's there was a resurgence of interest in the occult, though there is no evidence this actually led to an increase of "magical activity" (GM knowledge, there was some). In addition, a handful of manifests remained active, and some very strange tales of the supernatural were heard, though few believed them. The FBI opened its "weird desk" during this phase and worked with the "sorceress" Madame Mystery. These events were so low key no one thought much of them. They were a curio.

The nazi interest in the occult, and the british learning that they were seeking the count (who had gone to ground in the wake of the first world war) as they geared up towards remobilization led them to seek the count themselves. Their own Unit 14 (unknown to the world at large), which was dedicated to studying the count's theories (very sketchy info), the known "manifests," and to some degree the occult, was at the heart of this effort. They were not in time, and as the second world war opened, the axis powers, specifically germany, was fielding manifest's once again. In addition, the count's genius kept the german weapons development hacks hard at work in the trenches. World War II played out very similarly to WWI, but those in the allies halls of power who knew, too the matter very seriously.

After the war a major effort called Operation LARIAT was undertaken by members of the OSS and Unit 14 in an effort to capture the count. While this effort was not successful (he was killed (?) in a massive fireball), one of his laboratories was successfully seized, which led to the creation of Operation Rear Guard, which was then dubbed "above top secret." Rear Guard was dedicated to reproducing the Count's experiments. While the method of identifying those with the latent gene was readily reproducable, and while many of his notes gave insight, the gene therapy itself could not be reproduced. Shortly before the project was terminated one of its scientists theorized "the count's therapy was in of itself a product not unlike frankenstein's monster." Be it true or not, it was Rear Guard's final conclusion. The count's materials were hidden away, not unlike the ark at the end of ROTLA.

Things returned to normal. The blips of manifest activity during the world wars was considered a madman/genius' abberation. The world continued on much the course we know. The FBI maintained the weird desk. A small government group (Paranormal Intelligence & Research Administration) continued to theorize and study, but little else was done. The means to reproduce the phenomenon were gathering dust in some warehouse, the contents irreproducable. The count and his theories became obscure - the stuff of conspiracy websites and tabloid kooks, forgotten by the public.

That was until eight years ago. Eight years ago the world changed. A madman, some say terrorist, others say visionary, managed to lay his hands on the count's materials and notes. Not only that, he did what Rear Guard said couldn't be done. He managed to weaponize the formula and bond it to an airborn retrovirus. He wasn't confined the way the count had been - looking for that one in a million. He released the virus/serum in manhatten. He changed the world. As the virus spread and people with the latent gene began to manifest - the world began to see its first "supers." Today there are about 4,500 of them world-wide. Their numbers aren't evenly distributed based un population, however (no real explanation). And those with the gene who have been exposed to not always manifest immediately. It often seems an additional component, such as an emotional stressor is in play.

That's my "unified" origin. I still require tight character concepts and power frameworks, because we're handwaving the fact that people's subconscious manifests itself, generally, in logical ways (well comic book logic at least), but it also allows for some wiggle room. Essentially we've got two essential concepts - the mystic master who bends reality with rituals, or chants, or whatever, and the "manifest" who comes off like a superhero or villian, though they aren't that traditional in application, really. Supertech doesn't exist, but super-brains are creating cutting edge stuff (and some things decades ahead of their times) within the laws of science. Inventions that cannot be reproduced within the bounds or normal science are extremely rare, and tend to be hushed up by people who would rather they didn't see the light of day.

There are no aliens, either. "Radiation accidents" are really person with the recessive gene who has been exposed to the serum through the virus becoming manifest. Mythic "gods" are merely people who have manifest and many posit such were the "gods" of old. And some cults have sprung up around them.

Such are the origins in dave land.

The campaign I'm writing for fun has the Tunguska meteor and Halley's comet as the catalysts for most super powers but there have always been metahumans in the world (demigod characters and great heroes of ancient mythology), just that the two "space encounters" increased the probability that metahumans can exist, and they start being born with greater frequency after 1910. So for that campaign I guess I'm using #1 and #3. :)

Guest bblackmoor

In my game group's main campaign world, we have (as someone in another thread put it) a "run wild, run free" approach. I don't think I have seen any even moderately serious character conception excluded.

Of course, there have been the overtly goofy, summarily dismissed character conceptions, such as Godzilla, Super Jesus, Video Game Ninja, Salamandroid, Cotton Candy Elemental, and so forth. But those aren't serious characters, they're just created for the amusement value of doing so.

In your (or your primary) Champions campaign do Super powers have a central source/rationale? Or do you go with a more "open" origin for supers? Perhaps something inbetween?

1. All powers have a common origin and there is a single explanation for why they break the laws of phyics.

2. All powers have similiar origin (all mutants) but there isn't really an explanation for them

3. Powers work because otherwise it would be a pretty dull comic game. Stop asking stupid questions.

1. Nope... well kinda...

2. Nope

3. Sort of but...

4. There are a number of rationales, but each one needs to be consistantly applied.

Example: Mutation does exist, but born powers are usually genetically engineered or children of already demonstrated powered parents. Some "random" mutations are being examined, as their may be a common source point.

The "well kinda" is that I have a common McGuffin. I call it "Crystal-Tech" It is a living, transmutable, perfect super conductor in organic crystaline form. It started out EXTREMELY rare, but during a nuclear event in '96, it absorbed a large amount of energy and burst out in growth through the planets core. It pops up in pockets now. Hyper perfect conductor, in that it can INCREASE the amount of energy flowing into it... and mutates to become a transmitter of certain frequency/wavelength... and locks in that form. It can also graft at micro levels to DNA, and might be the basis for all metahuman mutation.

Magic... martial training... mystic martial training... alien tech... etc. Tech that is NOT crystal-tech is more limited in "real world" terms... but technology has expanded rapidly in the past 8 years since the death of Dr. Destroyer.

My standing, unified origin is that the source of all "weird stuff" is leakage between the campaign world and the Dreamspace. Magic, Psionic, Nova Powers, and Ultratech (the four "meta-SFX") are all just manifestatios of the ability to manipulate the 'stuff' of the Dreamspace that has leaked into the world.

In the Emergence Universe, there was a previous "leakage" that led to an Ars Magicka backstory to the campaign (it became estabished that The Emergence was the future of our Ars Magicka campaign, and the past of our Alternity campaign).

In our current NeoChampions Universe, it's widely believed that there were nova super powers, psionics, etc before 1972 -- although some believe that there were scattered appearances of novas before then, and at least one major theory suggests that the 1972 arrival of widespread novas was the result of one such "premature" nova.

In fact, one of the things NeoChampions borrows from "Brave New World" (the game, not the novel) is that the public at large believes 'magicians' like Solitaire, Witchcraft, et al are just a class of nova named "bargainers".

I've mentioned it before, but will restate it as you have asked:

There is a couple of really dormant traits in my world, certain people are born into a higher class of human based on these traits

Level 1: Human

These people make up the majority of the world

they get the shaft, 75 points in required disads (Vul x2 to Blasters & Mental effects, Phys Lim: Slow Healer, NCM, HCM*).

Powers: Limited to the following effects: Magic (-2 in Limitations), Mental (-1 in Limitations), Technology (-1/4 in limitations).

Level 2: Meta Human

These people most likely think they are the same as HUmans, however they are not. They tend to be faster, stronger, heal better, smarter, and in all ways be blessed.

Disads: HCM

Powers: Limited to following: Magic (-1/2), Mental (-0), Technology (-0)

Level 3: Neo Humans

They have probably lived there lives thinking they are normal but an event that should kill them causes a change in there body gifting them with powers above and beyond what a normal human could have

Powers: any, HCM, but heavy use of the characteristic trait may be appropriate (a brick will buy up STR)

Other: Aliens/Robots/etc...

The only "mutant" power permited must have a Mental F/X, Magic is real.

Manditory limitations may be sidestepped with the VarLim (the value of the lims taken must equal the above so a Meta could take a -1/4 VarLim instead)

*HCM: Human Character Maximum is the absolute max for a normal human to have, it is equal to NCM x 1.5, and can be adjusted by the age disad (Age can be taken as a 0 point disad for those without NCM)

Here is the outline of my default campaign setting (posted this before):

15,000 B.C. The Pre-Historic Fantasy campaign. Primitive heroes try to survive and carve out a rough civilization as an Event (Alien intervention) grants a tiny number of them psionic powers. Participate as the last of the Old-Ones are driven from the Earth by their ancient enemies and help to found Atlantis. Introduce the Old Woman (the First True Mystic).

10,000 -1000 B.C. The Atlantean Fantasy campaign. Adventure in the first time of legends, interact with those who will one day be the Gods, see the rise of Greece, aid the Old Woman as she tries to create the first true civilization, see the founding of the Nine, open gates to the Other Worlds, fight the inevitable fall.

1 A.D. – 400 A.D. The Classical Campaign. The Roman Empire is in full flower, the "Gods" born in old Atlantis are fading memories, grim specters trapped on the Astral plane. The Old Woman hopes to re-create the glory of Atlantis by spreading civilization to all four corners of the Earth. Your characters are Heroes, blessed with power. Hold off the darkness, until war within the Nine leads to Rome's fall.

500 A.D. – 600 A.D. The Arthurian Campaign. In 5th century England "Merlin" of the Nine tries to build a new Atlantis, guiding chosen humans and gifting them with power. The Old Woman has withdrawn in despair, convinced that her dream is impossible, but other members of the Nine continue to strive. Build Camelot. Defend it, and hold off the fall.

200 B.C. – 1400 A.D. The Wuxia Campaign. "Qin Shi Huangdi", the greatest of the Nine after the Old Woman herself, survived the fall and created the Middle Kingdom, yet his vision is of a land far different from the Atlantean model. Explore mythic China, as the heirs of Qin struggle for power in his shadow, while Qin takes his place in the other world as the Celestial Emperor. Qin (in many masks) has taught the secrets of Atlantean "magic" to those who will found the great Temples and houses of his China; can they unite, or is war and chaos inevitable? What of the rebels gifted with power, and the creatures of the Other World?

1800 A.D. - 1900 A.D. The Victorian Fantastique Campaign. Psi-fueled Mad Science rules the day as Victorian adventurers fight against the returning Old Ones and one-another. The Nine have reformed again under the Old Woman, as she strives once more to bring order out of chaos. The world is growing smaller.

1915 A.D. - 1940 A.D. The Pulp Campaign. In the space between the World Wars, Pulp Heroes with incredible powers and advanced science continue their private struggles. Is humanity finally at the dawn of a Golden Age? Yet in Germany, the One Eye plots his own move to restore his favored people. Defying the Old Woman, he once again opens the true doors of power in the human mind.

1941 A.D. – 1946 A.D. The WWII Campaign. The gift of the One Eye has returned the Gods to Earth, and Europe is in flames. He who was once known as Merlin and the agent of the nine sometimes called Clark Savage have responded by giving the gifts of the Nine to the allies. Scores of super-humans now walk among humanity, most of them ignorant of their true origins. Magic is loose upon the Earth.

Post September, 1946. A canister of the Wild Card Virus, formulated by The One Eye in an attempt to open the minds of all of Germany, is stolen by the mad Dr. Zerostein and taken to Manhattan; his plan to use the Virus to release hell upon the Americans is thwarted by the bravery of one young man on September 15th, but the resulting release of the Wild Card changes the world forever, moving power out of the hands of the Nine and its splinter groups and into the hands of common men.

I cheated. My campaign was, originally, basically a super-mage campaign -- so the ultimate source of powers was "magic".

But that source made any other source a possibility.

So there are psi powers because humans were exposed to the energies of higher planes. And we've got a few mutant characters who originated from an alternate dimension of "classical superheroics". And there's super-skilled characters who may be tapping unknown mystic abilities inborn to every human. And there's aliens -- both outer space aliens, and other dimension aliens.

Within the subcategories (alien race, psi powers, innate magic) I'm a little more strict on enforcing the sub-concepts allowable, but we usually manage to shoehorn something into a fit.

Ironically, I use the term "Source", it is not actually a term in the game world, it is a metagame term instead. Humans are beginning to realize that there is something at the edge of their understanding behind the recent eruption of super-abilities and magic, but they are hard pressed to wrap their heads around the concept. Some scientists have taken a practical approach however and genetic tests have discovered something different about those that can use "neotech". Using these genetic markers, they can chart the ability of parahumans even if they cannot understand what makes them tick. I call these markers M-K values or "Mubaro-Kolli values", named after Kenneth Mubaro of South Africa and Dr. Arwah Kolli of Bali, India who pioneered the research into this area.

Unbeknownst to the people of my campaign world, proto-humanity was visited by an alien species (kind of like Oddhat's alien intervention but much earlier and perhaps more widespread) which attempted to modify these not-quite-yet humans to tap into the vast cosmic "source". Frustrated by their seeming failure, the aliens left Earth and found other speciies they could use. Over time, these modifications bore fruit. There have been isolated periods when the source was easier to tap by humans, and now is one of those times. In the evolutionary sense, every human alive has some distant connection to the results of those tests, some just have it more than others. Most humans are baselines/mundanes who have no real ability to tap the source whatsoever.

About 1% of humans have the ability to tap the source but not directly, these are refered to as "parahumans". They can use "super gadgets" (Neotech) or items of magical power (artifacts) to tap into the source. Many of the villains actually fall into this category, as they are much more numerous than full fledged "elites". Many of these parahumans do have traits that are near-human maximum and slightly above, heal faster etc. but do not have true "superpowers" without some sort of augmetation device (OAF, OIF etc.).

Of the parahumans a tiny few parahumans can tap directly into the source, these are the "elites" and they are the classic superhumans of the game. This often comes during a stressful moment (although not always, sometimes it just happens if their M-K values are high enough) called a manifestation. There are actually a lot more elites walking around in the world who have no idea of their untapped abilities (M-K tests are quite expensive as of yet) because they simply have not yet manifested.

I did this for practical reasons. This way I can have 'logical' co-existence of the supernormal and the normal. Because someone has to be a parahuman (1% of the population) to use neotech like blasters and portable jet-packs, regular guns and other regular tech is in common use. But because that 1% is still a pretty big number, there still exists alongside the regular technology some cool stuff like robotic harnesses and blasters.

Thus far the players have largely fought villains who were either straight up parahumans or parahumans that experimented with drugs to give them heightened M-K values. They have also encountered a group of science-experiments-gone-wrong type villains who volunteered to allow themselves to be tested on by evil elite scientists who are trying to find ways to boost the M-K values of their henchmen.

Guest Champsguy

Anything goes. Well, almost anything. As someone else mentioned, there's no Super-Jesus or anything like that. Nobody can play a character that has an extraordinarily lame origin either, nor an origin which specifically introduces something I hate into the game world. But generally, I prefer a silver-age feel to my supers.

Super-tech works because somebody really smart made it, not because of magic or psionics.

People get powers when bathed in chemicals because that's the way it works.

I like the classic comic book stuff.

There's an explanation but nobody knows it. That's all I can say.

"I was makin' myself some milk an' cookies, an' I had some double stuff oreo cookies, an' I sarted to pour some milk, skim milk. Well, turned out the carton was almost empty, and I only got half a glass. So, I got up and got out the half an' half. I know, no one dirinks half and half, but I wanted some milk with my Double Stuff Oreo cookies, an' I figured the Half an' Half an' the Skim Milk would cancell each-other out. So, I poured in the half an' half with the skim milk, an' I dipped my Double Stuff Oreo cookies, an' the stuff blew up!"

All super powers in my world come from Foxbat. He is a universal Linchpin and since he thinks he's in a comic book the universe acts like he's in a comic book.

And thus, his master plan has succeeded without his knowledge.

*just kidding but it's a pretty cool idea, nyet?*

Of course, there have been the overtly goofy, summarily dismissed character conceptions, such as Godzilla, Super Jesus, Video Game Ninja, Salamandroid, Cotton Candy Elemental, and so forth. But those aren't serious characters, they're just created for the amusement value of doing so.

You know I see potential in all of these except maybe Godzilla its one of the nice things about using just any reasonable origin you can have weird stuff without having to really twist it to fit a meta-origin of course I kind of like some rational for superpowers beyond hey its a super universe it make sit easier to shut them off or give them to everyone.

SUPER JESUS AKA THE EVANGELIST

A devout Christian who awoke one day from a dream of heaven able to reproduce all of the miraculous powers of Jesus, Healing walking on water boosted intelligence, ego and presence transform etc he got into super heroing firstly because it was his Christian duty to help people in trouble but also to spread the word of god.

The press keeps call him super Jesus and he complains fervently about it, as do members of the televangical ministry who sponsor him.

No one is particularly sure where his powers come from he believes they come from divine grace other suggest it could be some sort of mystic artifact or mutation but he will not take part in any tests.

VIDEO GAME NINJA

James Forrester was an ordinary teenage kid playing video games during a thunderstorm. Lightning struck his gamestationX just as he was about to complete the game flinging him across the room.

He was rushed to hospital in a coma when he awoke several days later he remembered strange dreams him dressed as a ninja creeping around the corridors of the hospital and fighting armed men.

And that would have been the end of it except the news was filled with the story of a mysterious new super martial artists who had thwarted the attempted murder on a wounded police officer and key witness in a major organized crime case in that very hospital. James investigated and soon discovers he had become able to transform into the legendary Shinobi from his computer game.

COTTON CANDY ELEMENTAL AKA CANDY MAN

John sweet was a security guard at the happy elf candy factory until one night a hijacked truck contain a shipment of transuranic elements crashed out of control into the factory the hijackers where killed instantly but sweet was blown into the storage room by the resulting explosion he was discovered in the twisted wreckage of the building transformed by the strange radiation he is now a hulking candy formed colossus with the ability to manifest candy binding his foes with licorice laces smashing them with giant candy canes and flinging explosive pop rocks at them.

THE SALAMANDROID

The Salamandroid was the prototype of a new form of search and rescue android a fire fighting reptiliod robot equipped with the latest cooling technology and anti-chemical coatings to allow it to operate deep in the hottest fires and in hazardous materials.

Its firefighting equipment allowed it to get right to the heart of a blaze whilst its huge strength allowed saving trapped survivors.

During its first live test a huge blaze at a chemical refinery the prototype Salamandroid went missing after performing its duties impeccably saving 3 plant workers a section of metal gantry collapsed burning the Salamandroid in flaming metal.

Three days later it crawled from the twisted still cooling metal of the refinery changed weather it was the impact of the falling gantry or the intense heat its circuits had been forever altered the Salamandroid was now self aware alone and frightened traveling into town clinging to the roof of a passing truck.

It hid in the alleyways of the city disguising its self as a homeless person it observed humanity until one day it saw a huge fire the result of a superhuman battle.

It knew there where people trapped and obeying its principle programming abandoned its disguise and rushed to the rescue rescuing five trapped people from the ruins of an apartment building.

The news team sent to cover the battle came over to find out who was this strange new hero in there midst and its reply made the lead story “I’ am salmandroid and I am here to help†adopted by the local hero team the droid now tries to understand its new found sentience whilst using its formidable powers to save lives.

LITTLE G Yuriko Kenshiro's grandfather was the best props man in the Japanese movie industry or so he claimed he certainly worked on the first Godzilla movie.

When she was little he would baby-sit and they used to watch those old movies together she loved them. Afterwards they would play Godzilla together knocking down cardboard boxes in the living room and he would call her his Little G.

On her tenth birthday her grandfather gave her a beautiful gift a locket containing a fragment from the original Godzilla costume. Unbeknownst to her or her grandfather the old piece of jewelry he had used as the basis for the locket was a mystical artifact that had been in there family for generations.

Yet nothing came of this until Yoriko's 16th birthday when japans were struck by a huge earthquake while she was visiting her grandfather.

They where both buried beneath the rubble in the dark and claustrophobic space beneath the fallen building Yoriko prayed for the strength to save her and then there was light in the darkness her locket was glowing and after that things where a little hazy.

According to witnesses a brilliant beam of emerald flame erupted from the ruins of the apartment block and then a 12-foot tall version of Godzilla carried her grandfather from the wreckage before returning to lift away debris and rescue more survivors.

Since that time Yuriko has appealed for strength many times always appearing as the legendary giant lizard but now she has more control over the transformation able to appear at any size from 7 foot to 70 foot tall and use her atomic flame in creative ways.