Utility Belt MP

Bengal

Re: Utility Belt MP

You got points? Spend 'em. As many slots as seems reasonable to the kind of game you are running. In a game that is semi-realistic' date=' maybe what could logically fit on a belt. In a Super-Friends game, who cares how many?[/quote']

I think this is the guideline I'd use. Depends on how "realistic" you want your heroic fantasy. ;)

I tend to make Ulility Belt MPs with around 10 slots or so. I've made some with much more though.

Ultimately, if you are making the Belt as an OIF on the reserve, with each slot having OAF, the max slots you should have is around 18. If you have more than that, you might as well make a VPP (No Skill Roll, 0 Phase with OAF and Limited Power: Gadgets/Tools -1/2).

This brings up a related question. Supposed your utlity belt is a bandoleer? Is this still an OIF' date=' or because a bandoleer is easier to remove from a person than a belt, does it become an OAF?[/quote']

If it's an easily grabbed Bandolier, it's OAF. If it can only be removed out of combat, it's an OIF. Player's choice.

Actually, I don't really like using a Multipower for most Utility Belts, merely because most of the things can be used in unison, and some slots will take up most (or all) of the MP. So, using the DC belt, you can't use your Nightsight Monocular (14 Active Points), Miniature Climbing Rig (10 Active Points), and Laser Torch (10 Active Points) together to rappel down the side of a building and cut your way into the Big Baddie's office. Or the Nightsight and any of the Pellets (20-30 Active points each) to take out the guards inside.

Generally, I go with a VPP with the restriction that powers must be drawn up in advance. Or buy powers individually.

I just made a hero(EL Gato)and since I also put a couple attacks in there it ended up being higher and that worked out well. I also did not put every thing in the belt. He has a MP in his gloves&boots, and also his mask. This way he can see in the dark, climb a wall, jimmy open the window, and hack the computer all in one motion.

No more points in slots than the cost of the MP' date=' so if you have a 30 point VP, with the oif(-1/2) disadvantage, then no more than 20 points may be invested in slots, just a thought...[/quote']

I think this could be a reasonable requirement, though it would also depend on the fx of the MP. If a utility belt or one barrel weapon, then definitely. If it's a bandolier or multi-barrel, then that's up to the GM's interpretation.

Didn't the first Dark Champions book have an example utility belt multipower with ~15 points in the pool and around 30 slots?

EDIT: Yes.

[Nothing to see here]

HOWEVER:

On page 42 of J,NL, is the character DarkAngel who has a 30 pt utility belt (OIF for 20 character points) that has sixteen slots in it.

Actually, I don't really like using a Multipower for most Utility Belts, merely because most of the things can be used in unison, and some slots will take up most (or all) of the MP. So, using the DC belt, you can't use your Nightsight Monocular (14 Active Points), Miniature Climbing Rig (10 Active Points), and Laser Torch (10 Active Points) together to rappel down the side of a building and cut your way into the Big Baddie's office. Or the Nightsight and any of the Pellets (20-30 Active points each) to take out the guards inside.

Generally, I go with a VPP with the restriction that powers must be drawn up in advance. Or buy powers individually.

If I want a utility belt I make to act like this, I tend to increase the points in the reserve, or make it a VPP. It really depends on what the slots are and how I intend to use them.

If in the title of the book was Dark Champions' date=' then no. If the first Dark Champions book was [u']Justice, Not Law[/u], then yes.

On page 42 of J,NL, is the character DarkAngel who has a 30 pt utility belt (OIF for 20 character points) that has sixteen slots in it.

4E Dark Champions, p100, Sample Utility Belt with 21 slots.

Mini-Camera, Mini-Recorder, Smoke Pellets, Flash Pellets, Thermite Pellets, Sleep Gas Pellets, Throwing Blades, Calculator, Rebreather, Mini-Radios, Mini-Radio Console, Monocular, Swing-Line, Flashlight, Painkillers, Paramedics Kit, Lockpick Set, Security Kit, Crime Scene Kit, Bomb Defusing Kit, Weakness Darts.

Whew!

If in the title of the book was Dark Champions, then no. If the first Dark Champions book was Justice, Not Law, then yes.

4E Dark Champions, p100, Sample Utility Belt with 21 slots.

Mini-Camera, Mini-Recorder, Smoke Pellets, Flash Pellets, Thermite Pellets, Sleep Gas Pellets, Throwing Blades, Calculator, Rebreather, Mini-Radios, Mini-Radio Console, Monocular, Swing-Line, Flashlight, Painkillers, Paramedics Kit, Lockpick Set, Security Kit, Crime Scene Kit, Bomb Defusing Kit, Weakness Darts.

Whew!

Bastard. :Exits stage right:

he one in Gadgets & Gear is an example, covering everything that could commonly be carried in a utility belt, I think. But I'd have to read it over again.

I like to make such things as utility belts and quivvers of arrows out of multipowers, commonly with a reserve that covers 2-3 powers at a time, because I think that "feels" right. In the case of, say, a speedster and his speed tricks, that "feels" more like a VPP. In the case of an elemental style character (or the Gestalts Bennie likes to write up),that feels more like an Elemental Control. In the case of a power suit, I'd be very careful allowing any framework, since the suit itself can outstrip its real point cost in terms of value.

Despite the fact that eventually a utility belt with a large number of slots is simulated more cheaply by a VPP, I'll stick to writing it up as a MP because it feels right to me- and you can be cost-efficient without totally min/maxing.