Need some "Smart" powers

nexus

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Need some "Smart" powers

Well, intelligence is a nebulous concept.

Some thoughts:

Super-Intelligence means superspeed pattern recognition. So they would innately have an enhanced reaction time (SPD, and to a lesser extend, DEX).

Similiarly, hard to surprise (defensive PRE, danger sense).

Plus, some super sense powers. If you can tell the difference between two sounds precisely enough, and have a good enough memory, you can effictively gain targeting on Hearing (I can hear your heartbeat... and judging by the relative echoes... *thump*)

Super-Emotional-Intelligence would give ungodly offensive PRE, since you'd be able to do the whole 'examine pysche, hit with just the right words' thing.

It could also go into the realms of precognition. One of my favourie precog/genius tricks (that I've never actually put on a character) is "SUPER PLANNING!" - a VPP of equipment that they have at just the right time/place/moment.

Back to the pattern recognition thing - you could maybe be able to analyse things that would take intense study and recreation to get right for a CSI at a glance. (Oh, I know how the blood spattered...) (Retrocognition, but also possibly various detects; working out how chemical reactions happened, etc).

And, of course, super technology.

Does anyone have some suggestions for powers a character might developed based on being inhumanly intelligent?

As mentioned above, it's pretty nebulous, but here are some I either did, or considered, for Checkmate. (38 Int)

Chains of Logic: Precognition, defined as Super-Deduction. With some time and access to media, the character can determine the actions of a person or group, or the coming of a given event.

Strategic Mastery: Bonuses to entire party's OCV and DCV. Requires time, communication, and knowledge of the battle's terrain. Requires opposed skill roll, Strategy.

Tactical Mastery: The character is able to study a fighter or group and diminish their advantages. Bought as Drain to Dex, requires 1 turn, Requires opposed skill roll, Tactics.

Tactical Study: A super-powered version of Analyze Style. The character can, with just a bit of study, determine what kinds of attacks and defences the target has. (I.E., Hand to Hand, Ranged, Killing, Stunning; Resistant or Non-Resistant, energy, physical or other) by simply watching their actions and reactions. Bought as Telepathy, limited to attack/defense type, extra time, Requires Skill Roll 'Analyze Style'

I could come up with more, but those are the ones I recall off hand.

Massive Luck, base on having anticipated the problem and/or being able to instantly see a way out of it.

Precog and Retrocog ala Sherlock Holmes are classics.

An Aid MP, based on giving advice to team mates.

I often use a Super Skills VPP for this tyoe of character, and plenty of Overall Levels.

Check out "Dr. Simian" in the NPC list of the GGU. He's got pretty much all the "super-smart" powers I'd ascribe to someone like that (in fact, it's eerily similar to the kind of thing I once toyed with for a Protector from Larry Niven's known space).

Pre-cognition and Post-cognition with limitations to represent his ability to determine a) what someone will do and B) what someone did or is doing even now, based on his immense store of knowledge and ability to extrapolate their probable actions to a near certainty.

Extra PRE to represent not being surprised (he knew that would happen).

Telepathy to represent his ability extrapolate what someone is thinking or feeling or planning.

Overall Skill Levels usable by others (to represent how well his plans work).

Luck (to represent his ability to anticipate or make use of the seemingly unexpected events).

Lots of other things too. Take a look.

As mentioned above, it's pretty nebulous, but here are some I either did, or considered, for Checkmate. (38 Int)

Chains of Logic: Precognition, defined as Super-Deduction. With some time and access to media, the character can determine the actions of a person or group, or the coming of a given event.

Strategic Mastery: Bonuses to entire party's OCV and DCV. Requires time, communication, and knowledge of the battle's terrain. Requires opposed skill roll, Strategy.

Tactical Mastery: The character is able to study a fighter or group and diminish their advantages. Bought as Drain to Dex, requires 1 turn, Requires opposed skill roll, Tactics.

Tactical Study: A super-powered version of Analyze Style. The character can, with just a bit of study, determine what kinds of attacks and defences the target has. (I.E., Hand to Hand, Ranged, Killing, Stunning; Resistant or Non-Resistant, energy, physical or other) by simply watching their actions and reactions. Bought as Telepathy, limited to attack/defense type, extra time, Requires Skill Roll 'Analyze Style'

I could come up with more, but those are the ones I recall off hand.

Very nice! Rep for you.

Hate to add the obvious, but someone who had super intelligence would probably be able to invent things. Look at Dr. Destroyer - he doesn't have any superpowers, he's simply supersmart. So someone with an INT of 30 would probably be able to invent plenty of techno-gadgets to be used in the crusade for justice.

Buy several cramming slots. Then buy 3 or 4 overall levels.

You now have multiple rotating 11- or 12- skills each adventure.

Eiditic Memory.

Skip the language chart and buy universal translator with a limit(human languages only -1/4).

Take a page out of Cyclops(X-men) book, and buy lots of skill levels with "bouncing" shots to represent being a whiz at spatial geometry.

Buy clairsentience with a linked change environment. -1/4 incantation, -1/4 only to find "spoken phrase". This is the mystic/psychic equivalent of a web keyword search - except that it makes every object with the spoken word/phrase written on it glow. A personal favorite.

Defense Maneuver(after all, you can anticipate any attack)

Combat Luck(and lots of it, again, it's easy to prepare for an attack you know is coming)

Another factor to consider is that a super-intelligent character's abilities will largely depend on what areas his super-intelligence has been applied to. For example, Hannibal Lecter has super-skills along the lines of Telepathy, Mind Control, Precognition, etc., insofar as they relate to human motivations and actions (determining them, predicting them, manipulating them, etc.), because he's applied his massive INT to psychology.

In other words, aside from the innate benefits a super-INT might give you in and of itself, any super-intelligent character (unless they're a young child or something) is also likely to have one or more areas of knowledge that they're knowledgeable about. And, thanks to their incredible INT, they're likely to demonstrate astonishing abilities in those areas.

Skill Levels only to offset time penalties are always good -- move up one level on the Time Chart for every +3 (IIRC). You're so smart you figure things out in a fraction of the normal time.

Buy several cramming slots. Then buy 3 or 4 overall levels.

You now have multiple rotating 11- or 12- skills each adventure.

Unless that sneaked into 5eR, that doesn't work. I don't think you can add any Skill Levels to a Cramming roll.

If you want Mr. Everyskill, take a VPP with a 5 pt pool, only for Skills. If you'd like you can limit the number of times you can change the pool.

Perhaps a mixture of the powers and choices listed here.

13pt + 6 VPP for skills works every well.

No Skill roll +1, Only to change to skills -1/2, Can only change to skills with access to library -1/2

Add Speed Reading

This gives them a very powerful version of Cramming by 5Ed standards

Int based Skill Levels with extra time with a slow progression effect

(the longer there at the project the better they get at it)

and of course a 15 Point Multipower with the three basics

Electronics, Mechanics, and Inventing. The special effect is called Natural Talent.

The Danger Sense only works in my opinion with Enhanced Perceptions

with Enhanced Intelligence I would go with +4 DCV as a way of Heightened Awareness, Mix this and any combat skills that might be there and the character can start seeing holes in that 'perfect offense' made by martial artists.

Then just by him or her a few gadgets that they use in combat. If there a curious type of person they might create gadgets that trap and or ensnare so they can study.

If there just intellectual jackasses that want to show there superiority they'll create items that just knock characters around casually and only enter killing combat when there sure they are about to lose. (Ie/ Death Trap type)

"Inhumanly smart"

Mental Def

- not vs EGO attacks or Mind Scan: -1/2

- only vs people with a lower INT : -0 to -1/4

Being so smart means that a telepath with a average IQ will have some problems to read your toughts or control your mind.

" i can't stand his mind !!"

EGO Attack

+ Continuous +1

+ 0 END +1/2

+ Persistent +1/2

+ Inherent +1/4

+ Damage shield +1/2

- not vs EGO attacks or Mind Scan: -1/2

- only vs people with a lower INT : -0 to -1/4

You're so smart than reaching your mind psychically shocks a mental intruder.

(also a variant with a flash vs mental sense group)

I’d go with Lightning Reflexes, based on his combat analysis.

I know it’s been said, but I feel I must second the Find Weakness and Mental Defense (if you want to take it to the extreme, maybe Invisibility to Mental Group or Shape Shift: Mental Group).

I also really dig the high PRE, Only to defend against PRE attacks. That really fits if he has a superiority complex.

Power Defense, Only vs. INT Drains and Transfers and the like

Intuitive Danger Sense

You could also do a “Super Deductionâ€: Retrocognition, Requires a Deduction Roll. Though, as a GM, I would be reluctant to allow that one. Since I run mysteries quite often, I prefer PC’s to figure things out themselves.

If he’s technologically inclined, there’s always the classic Gadget Pool.

I don't have one super-smart character IMC, I have a couple of dozen.

Most of them specialize in a few areas, with the powers built around that area.

Examples include:

~Magni (Strongest man in world, surgeon, norse god)

~Doc Smash (Physicist who travels to other dimensions)

~Gladiator (cyborg and computer Hacker)

~Doctor Photon (Laser expert and renegade PRIMUS scientist)

~Leta Rimski (Telepathic Doctor)

~Mammoth (Second strongest man in world, master of many sciences, benevolent ruler of Iceland)

~Doctor Grondicus (Grond, with 40 intelligence, and the technology to give people powers)

~Mister Fantastic (Aereonatutical engineer, Meteorologist, low level powers in a bunch of areas)

~Kim Lee (Chinese geneticist and maker of clones)

~Steam Boy (Cowboy from 1890 Nevada who is master of all technology involving...steam)

There are more, but thats off the top of my head.

You could also do a “Super Deductionâ€: Retrocognition' date=' Requires a Deduction Roll. Though, as a GM, I would be reluctant to allow that one. Since I run mysteries quite often, I prefer PC’s to figure things out themselves.[/quote']

Make 'em stick "Gradual Effect" on it. They'll still have to take the time and go through all the actions any other investigator would. But instead of telling them "looks like he got hit in the head with something blunt", you tell them "Col. Mustard hit him in the head with a candlestick in the Library".

Think of it as CSI. Smart Guy gets the same detailed visualization that the viewers of CSI (but not the CSI characters) get to see.

Just tossing a few ideas out to ya....

1. Don't forget the whole Eastern thing where enlightenment = perfect control of one's self and one's environment. Some sort of martial arts blend of eastern styles, including ki projection, might fit the bill for a "I'm so smart I have transcended this plane of existance" sorta deal. Add elements of some wierd Tibetan martial arts that includes knowledge of the "elder gods" and you have a good excuse to be A. in league with Cthulhu and B. insane.

2. Gadgets and inventions, sure. Add some kung fu as above and you get Brother Blood after he steals Cyborg's tech. Of course the tech doesn't have to be stolen, you could have invented the martial arts styles and the tech too yourself.

3. Magic. Has anyone mentioned this yet? "I have discover the true secrets of the ancients and the world, which give me ULTIMATE POWER." A kind of Dr. Strange character who "figures it all out" from old books, and make the personal scrafices required to gain said power. Pretty standard, but qualifies as a "smart guy" type power, imo.

Not earth shattering ideas, or as detailed as some of the others have posted, but I thought maybe I'd toss some broad ideas at ya and let you figure out if any were appealing.

Mind Control with low dice but Cumulative; he talks people into doing what he wants done.

Entangle, vs. INT: He talks circles round you logically!

Invisibility, only vs. cameras and sensors -- he times the cycles.

Dark Champions had a cool power that I liked: I'll Be There in Five Minutes (Teleportation, Mega Scale, Extra Time, OIF vehicle of opportunity); he's so smart he knows how to avoid traffic and cross the city in 5 minutes.