Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

So.... what is the Logician faction all about? (Awesome stuff' date=' btw).[/quote']

Hereteks who believe that humanity should be experimenting with new technology, instead of regurgitating the old stuff over and over - this includes backing the Meritech pirate clans and starting a major Sector war, simply to test new designs. They worked rather well.

The Rose Tattoo discovered a whole planet of them deep in the Koronus Expanse, went and got some Adeptus Mechanicus support, went into the system to do some righteous stomping, and got their butts kicked. So they intend to go back with heavier boots.

Welcome to the board.

Yes their GM is better than yours but also the players are also a lot easier on their GM :(.

Not better, (Killing 60% of the party for plot purposes is just plain mean). just more generous with kit:).

GM
: ...He's pulling something out...

Magos Casu Marzu
: Oh god!

GM
: ...It's about five feet long

Carno Sarvus
: Argh!

GM
: ... with a green crystal, barrel, and blade at one end

"'Scuse me while I whip this out..."

Soooo...Benetek looks like Cleavon Little, eh?

And here I was thinking that the WH40K universe didn't have any African-American

types in it...

Major Tom 2009 :snicker:

Actually... the Salamanders are either pitch black skinned or look like African-Americans depending on the era and artist.

Actually... the Salamanders are either pitch black skinned or look like African-Americans depending on the era and artist.

And oh, how the jet-black skin and red eyes pissed me off. Until that change the Salamanders were about the only sign of variety in an overwhelmingly Caucasian Imperium. Which is just one reason why the custom chapter in my Deathwatch game were Polynesian ethnotypes

Soooo...Benetek looks like Cleavon Little, eh?

And here I was thinking that the WH40K universe didn't have any African-American

types in it...

Major Tom 2009 :snicker:

In the 41st millennium you're either human or mutant. Most of the human race has homogenized down to a single "race", however, despite the game being created by and for English middle class white males in the 1980s, there are a few deviations from that white baseline that are noted.

Midas Betancore.

Magnus is given Egyptian trappings and described as having dark skin.

Tallarn Desert Raiders are Berber/Arabian.

Heqta Jajjo is described as dark skinned.

Space Marines drawn from the Achaemenid Empire were from the areas ruled by the Persian Empire on Earth.

There are examples, but as the writing and setting matures, you see more diversity (not unlike comics). In any case, with the exception of the Salamanders (as Susano mentioned), which are based on the story of John Henry, none of them would be "African" or "American" as those concepts are 39,000 years out of date. And, since the origins of the game are English, calling anyone African-American would get you a funny look, because the majority of sub-Saharan Africans of native origin (black people) living in non-African countries are not American.

In the 41st millennium you're either human or mutant. Most of the human race has homogenized down to a single "race", however, despite the game being created by and for English middle class white males in the 1980s, there are a few deviations from that white baseline that are noted.

Midas Betancore.

Magnus is given Egyptian trappings and described as having dark skin.

Tallarn Desert Raiders are Berber/Arabian.

Heqta Jajjo is described as dark skinned.

Space Marines drawn from the Achaemenid Empire were from the areas ruled by the Persian Empire on Earth.

There are examples, but as the writing and setting matures, you see more diversity (not unlike comics). In any case, with the exception of the Salamanders (as Susano mentioned), which are based on the story of John Henry, none of them would be "African" or "American" as those concepts are 39,000 years out of date. And, since the origins of the game are English, calling anyone African-American would get you a funny look, because the majority of sub-Saharan Africans of native origin (black people) living in non-African countries are not American.

*nods* that occurred to me as well.

As for the rest, good to know :) I'm noticed a few non-Caucasian characters turning up in the Heresy novels, too, many of them for different parts of Terra, such as the Yndonesic Hegemony, and so on. So that was pleasing.

And oh' date=' how the jet-black skin and red eyes pissed me off. Until that change the Salamanders were about the only sign of variety in an overwhelmingly Caucasian Imperium. Which is just one reason why the custom chapter in my Deathwatch game were Polynesian ethnotypes[/quote']

Well, I do recall that the Space Marine chapter in the original Space Hulk game fiction text were distinctly Native American.

Well' date=' I do recall that the Space Marine chapter in the original Space Hulk game fiction text were distinctly Native American.[/quote']

Was this the Death Wing of the Dark Angels? The DAs were (and are) based on European knights and the Knights Templar. The feathers were originally added to the death wing as a reference to Polish winged lancers and (after the idea of tribal warrior lodges was added to canon) drifted toward a vague American Indian flavor, which I loved.

Was this the Death Wing of the Dark Angels? The DAs were (and are) based on European knights and the Knights Templar. The feathers were originally added to the death wing as a reference to Polish winged lancers and (after the idea of tribal warrior lodges was added to canon) drifted toward a vague American Indian flavor' date=' which I loved.[/quote']

I have no idea. I recall "white" something, but that's all.

I have no idea. I recall "white" something' date=' but that's all.[/quote']

I finally had a chance to look it up. First Edition "Space Hulk" - "Deathwing focuses on additional Space Marine weapons, Space Marine Librarians, new features and rules specific to the Deathwing Company (First Company) of the Dark Angels Space Marines chapter, which is notable among the Imperium as the only First Company to be composed solely of Terminators."

Second session of Masks of Nyarlathotep tonight - Ian will be introducing a new character, Rondale will be torturing a prisoner, and perhaps, they'll actually get around to hitting the libraries.

that said...

and the Pathe Film newsreels about the ill-fated Carlyle Expedition

January 16th, 1925 - Rondale and Johnson torture a prisoner, the investigators actually do some investigating, and McGinty's player introduces a replacement - Byron Timmons, who has been a student at Harvard for just on a decade, in order to exploit a condition in a rich uncle's will. McGinty promised him course credit and a chance at free world travel. He has an elephant skin vest.

All : *sing* Seeeeee... my.. vest! See my Vest! Made from real! Elephant chest!

Among the huge stack of clues recovered from the victim's hotel room are business cards, letters, a photograph, and a handbill for a lecture on "The Cult of Darkness In Polynesia & the Southwest Pacific"

GM
: *
sigh
* I suppose there is indeed a small chance that it's actually a musical

But beating the truth out the cultist they managed to take alive is a priority.

Agent Rondale
: We threaten to kill him if he doesn't talk

Agent Johnson
: What if he still doesn't talk?

Agent Rondale
: Then we kill him anyway for being useless

Aldous Quinn OOC
: Ah, the Office of Naval intelligence, already planning the cold-blooded murder of prisoners

GM
: Civil Rights? What's that?

Agent Rondale
: Speaking of flamethrowers, I'd like to requisition one.

GM
: ... what for?

Agent Rondale
: Recreational purposes.

Also known as intimidating the prisoner.

Agent Johnson
: *hums 'Popcorn*

Byron Timmons arrives, bulldog in tow, with a letter of introduction from McGinty.

Byron Timmons
: There has to be some kind of bell to get me in here

Aldous Quinn OOC
: Yes, it's a great big thing. If you're strong enough to lift it, we know you're dangerous

Agent Rondale
: Why is there a man out the front of Second Base with a dog with spectacularly large balls?

All
: ...

Agent Rondale
: The dog, not the man.

The dog's name is Balzac, predictably.

Agent Rondale
: Is it really a good idea to expose a new PC to our interrogation techniques?

GM
: I'll let you make an Idea check if you like

Aldous Quinn
: It's like flossing your teeth with a guitar string. It's a
bad idea

Einstein and Timmons recognise each other. Einstein is well aware of the latter's facility at avoiding graduation.

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: The staff call you Byron Herpes. Because you're impossible to get rid of.

The prisoner seems completely contemptuous of his captors, even when they singe him with the flamethrower, or practise some stabbing. Indeed, after they stop him bleeding to death from the latter, he simply says "I know what waits for me on the other side", grins hugely, and bites off his own tongue. Rondale uses magic and the flamethrower to finish him off, on the off chance that spitting your own tongue at somebody is some kind of magical attack.

Trying to conceal what ONI actually does is difficult, with Einstein around. Even if they are off to investigate that lecture at N.Y.U.

Byron Timmons
: I know lectures!

Aldous Quinn
: Yes, they're a good place to sleep.

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: You know, if it wasn't for the occult investigation I'd avoid this lecture - it seems a bit lowbrow.

Aldous Quinn
: .... what occult investigation? *
hint hint

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: The one we're currently on?

Aldous Quinn
:*
sigh
* Don't take this the wrong way Professor, but sometimes you're the dumbest smart person I know

Agent Rondale
: You know, Timmons, I'm beginning to see why you never graduated with people like her in charge

Byron Timmons
: Oh, Einstein's not that bad. I can have a nap up the back, and at the end I sit up and yell PHYSICS! and she says 'Yes!'

Agent Rondale
: I should despise you, for throwing away everything I ever wanted, but you're pissing off Einstein so I'm reconciling that.

But the lecture was yesterday, and there’s still other New York they can follow before going up to Arkham. Such as Emerson Imports.

January 17th, 1925 -

Agent Rondale
: I'm Agent Johnson. This is Agent Rond....

ALL
: LOL

Agent Rondale
: We're so generic!

GM
: When you're giving false names for your party, it helps if you don't give
each other's
name as the fake. I thought you learned that lesson after what happened to Samuel Santorio.

It eventuates that Elias was there the day before, asking the manager who they import Kenyan goods for. That, in turn, leads to the identification of Silas N’Kwame as the proprietor of the Ju-Ju House, a seller of African trinkets, tribal artefacts, etc, based in Harlem.

Agent Rondale
: To the Rondalemobile!

GM
: Dunna-dunna dunna-dunna RONDALE! or in the case of McGinty Dunna-dunna dunna-dunna ARSEHOLE! I wonder what the McGinty-signal would be?

Aldous Quinn
: That's easy - a bottle of gin and a four-leafed clover

GM
: That would certainly bring him running

Agent Johnson
: Instead of a searchlight they have a bottle of gin and a big fan.

The Ju-Ju Shop is the only business running off Ransom Court, in Harlem, with the exception of a padlocked and abandoned pawnshop, opposite. The single room is stacked almost to the ceiling with carvings, masks, tribal spears, stuffed giraffes, and a seventy year old African-American who seems very pleased to see so many customers this early in the day. At least Rondale gives a genuinely false name this time. Timmons and Balzac stay outside, despite the weather.

Byron Timmons
: I'll come inside when he licks himself and his tongue sticks to his nuts.

GM
: *
sigh
* I predict a great many quotes revolving around Balzac the Bulldog over coming months.

Agent Johnson
: And we already have me

Agent Rondale
: Harry Johnson and Balzac

Aldous Quinn
: Standing proud.

Silas fails to identify the cult sigil despite comparing it to his stock, but does sell a mask, tribal spear, a full set of ivory miniatures, and a stuffed giraffe to Timmons. Nor is the Widener Library at Harvard any use, since the book Elias was after - Africa's Dark Sects - is still missing, and indeed vanished under mysterious circumstances some months before Elias even asked after it. Aldous is a bit uncomfortable at the library, thanks to some of the things he's been up to in there with Rondale's sister Scout. Timmons is familiar with the building as well, but mostly as another good place for naps. He and the Professor spend the rest of the day searching for other reference works that may help, as Rondale, Johnson and Aldous pop over to Arkham to interview Prof. Cowles, and find out why Elias thought his lecture was important. Cowles knows of Elias' various books on death cults, but can't imagine why Elias was so interested in his lecture on the cult of the Father of All Bats and their bat-tooth-studded clubs, nor can he think of any African connection. He DOES know of the Cthulhu cult, in a purely folkloric way, and refers the investigators to Miskatonic's own eccentric Laban Shrewsbury for more, but Sydney University's only copy of the Ponape Scripture was leant to John Scott of Boston, and never returned. And John Scott was one of the Silver Twilight Lodge cultists.

Agent Rondale
: Before we leave I challenge Cowles to a game of Knifey-Spooney, as is traditional for Australians.

Agent Johnson
: This is a knife! No, Johnson, that's a stick of dynamite.

Aldous Quinn
: Remember this rule for Australian wildlife - take whatever small harmless animals you have in your part of the world. Then add size and murder.

They do take a moment to have a word with Laban Shrewbury.

Agent Rondale
: I'm Agent Rondale.

Laban Shrewbury
: Are you? That's nice.

Agent Rondale
: Do you know anything about Cthulhu?

Laban Shrewbury
: If you want an autograph I'm sure i can find a pencil somewhere... *
pats pockets

Meanwhile, and despite it taking the rest of the day, Einstein and Timmons have managed to identify the cult sigil as one used by the rumoured 'Cult of the Bloody Tongue', in what is now Kenya, but which claims to have originated in Dynastic Egypt.

January 18th, 1925 - Thus, back to New York, to see if the Ju-Ju House has a copy of the Dark Sects books. They don't. Silas recommends they try rare booksellers instead. He still exercises his entrepreneurial spirit.

Silas N'Kwame
: How about another tribal spear, sir! Collect the set! Genuine Zulu assegaai! The previous owner assures me it was used to kill three British at the Battle of Isandlwana!

Byron Timmons
: Three British, you say? Sounds great.. oh wait, it was McGinty that hates the British...

Byron Timmons
: How about any toothy clubs? Got any of those?

Silas N'Kwame
: I don't believe so sir... I've got a stuffed crocodile, that's got teeth. You could
use
it as a club.

Byron Timmons
:Have you got anything with bats?

Silas N'Kwame
: How about this shield? It's got bats.

Byron Timmons
:That's a bird.

Silas N'Kwame
: But it's painted black.

Agent Johnson
: He's got a point...

Byron Timmons
: Have you got
anything
with bats?

Silas N'Kwame
: No, not really sir. I could do you an elephant, they're like bats.

Byron Timmons
: Wait, what?!

Silas N'Kwame
: Poor eyesight, you see. Big ears!

The bookseller thing reminds them that one of the other victims was a bookseller and they thank him for his time and head back the police covering the murders, to tell Lt. Poole what they've learned about Elias' movements, and get the details on the other victims. The bookseller's widow is still distraught by the murder, and has no explanation as to why her husband bought so many maps of East Africa, or why he was spending so many nights in Harlem, and came back so frightened the night before his murder. But studying the maps does come up with one potential clue - a pinhole and annotation naming one peak as the Mountain of the Black Wind. But there's still much else to investigate - for one thing, they haven't looked up anything on the Carlyle Expedition itself. Or informed Elias' publisher about the death. After the shock, he admits that Carlyle was investigating the ill-fated Carlyle expedition, but his letters and telegrams were becoming increasingly disturbing up until his arrival in New York two days ago, when he was clearly highly 'disturbed'. At least he left most of his notes and correspondence with his publisher, and the names of two contacts in London, just hours prior to his murder. Only a few lines of his later work are decipherable...

Many names, many forms, but all the same and toward one end. . . . Need help. . . . Too big, too ghastly. These dreams. . . . dreams like Carlyle's? Check that psychoanalyst's files. . . . All of them survived! They'll open the gate. Why? . . . so the power and the danger is real. They . . . many threads beginning. . . . The books are in Carlyle's safe. . . . Coming for me. Will the ocean protect? Ho Ho no quitters now. Must tell and make readers Believe. Should I scream for them? Let's scream together. . . .

This session was taped, so the five Pathfinder Society tables in the room this weekend were a problem, but they did give me one good laugh, despite the background noise.

Other GM
: The city of transsexual whores

GM
: I'm going to assume I misheard that

Other GM
: Nope, you didn't.

GM
: Well, don't tell my players about that, they'll all want one.

Despite, or perhaps because we were taping, my players were amazingly insulting to a range of cultural groups and ethnicities this week. I hope they grow out of it, but fear they won't.

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: I want to make a list of every minority in the world. So I can tick them off as we insult them.

Great stuff as always, Drhoz. Somebody please whomp him with the Rep stick for me?

This week, my usual monthly fix of PULP Hero fell through, so I joined the 'Dresden Files' game run by a friend, filling in for an absent player. His character's "thing" was being a "human target" - Paranoid, so-so combat skills but very good at attracting attention. Anyhow, it all hits the fan and a new catch-phrase is soon born.

We call it 'Screaming Chicken' mode or, sometimes, the 'Stance Of The Screaming Chicken'. Basically, when in combat, keep moving at high speed and in random directions, flap your arms and make lots of noise. You'll be fine then. Worked for me.

We call it 'Screaming Chicken' mode or' date=' sometimes, the 'Stance Of The Screaming Chicken'. Basically, when in combat, keep moving at high speed and in random directions, flap your arms and make lots of noise. You'll be fine then. Worked for me.[/quote']

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon (4?)

...McGinty's player introduces a replacement - Byron Timmons' date=' who has been a student at Harvard for just on a decade, in order to exploit a condition in a rich uncle's will.[/quote']

I'm wondering if this one will be another incarnation of the Eternal Bloodthirsty Lunatic.

The eternal student reminds me of Victor Tugelbend, a character in Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures.

Victor's defining personality trait is his active laziness - he goes to great lengths to avoid work. His uncle left him a legacy that would pay his tuition as a student at Unseen University, but only so long as he got above an 80 on every exam he took. The mark required to pass and become a wizard is 88. Since Victor much preferred the life of the student wizard, where nobody was actively trying to kill him, he studied extremely hard and carefully got an 84 on every single exam except for three (once, he passed by accident, but argued his grade down a few points, and got an 82 and an 83 on the next two to be safe). The Bursar eventually noticed this and gave him an exam with one question - "What is your name?" - but Victor never took it, having headed off to Holy Wood instead. In this way, he is indirectly responsible for the ascension of Ponder Stibbons to UU's faculty, as Ponder ended up with his exam.

I'm wondering if this one will be another incarnation of the Eternal Bloodthirsty Lunatic.

The eternal student reminds me of Victor Tugelbend, a character in Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures.

*nods* I noticed that myself, but he's never read it. The Eternal Student is a character used by other authors though.

Give it time...if there's anything that I've noticed about characters in Drhoz's campaigns

(based upon what's been posted of them, that is), it's that after a certain period of time

they're eventually corrupted (or seduced, as the case may be) into becoming closet men-

aces to society -- sort of like being turned evil by prolonged exposure to the Dark Side of

the Force.

Which, of course, makes them all the more entertaining to the rest of us (:eg:) -- and that's

not counting the occasional spontaneous manifestation of a Smut Field (of which there

seems to be a pronounced dearth lately)...

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

*nods* I noticed that myself' date=' but he's never read it. The Eternal Student is a character used by other authors though.[/quote']

I recall Zelazny having such a character in a novel the title of which I have forgotten.

*nods* I noticed that myself' date=' but he's never read it. The Eternal Student is a character used by other authors though.[/quote']

A friend of mine tried it. After his second or maybe third masters, a degree counselor told him it was time to put his learning to use.

Which, of course, makes them all the more entertaining to the rest of us (:eg:) -- and that's

not counting the occasional spontaneous manifestation of a Smut Field (of which there

seems to be a pronounced dearth lately)...

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Well, Desiree hasn't been to any sessions in about two years... that said, we did tape this session, so once I've edited it a bit you'll see just how much smut I have to edit out