Herophile Fantasy art

AmadanNaBriona

Re: Herophile Fantasy art

And one more (it's amazing how much old crap I have on this computer...) This is another technical skills test - same restrictions: Poser only. This picture won a competition and netted me a couple of hundred dollars of donated software and 3D models.

It's a Kitsune - a japanese fox spirit.

cheers, Mark

Great work Markdoc!

As I said before, if you are restricted by your access to a limited set of models, the images you create do not show it.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, the magical fire does not light her heart, the swaying palms do not soften her gaze... Today, her Empire goes to war. She delights not in death or the clash of arms, though her blood cries out for such things. Today, she dies with the soldiers she has sent away on the great ships of her Empire. Today she dies the death not of flesh but of the spirit... And she dies this death alone.

Today' date=' the magical fire does not light her heart, the swaying palms do not soften her gaze... Today, her Empire goes to war. She delights not in death or the clash of arms, though her blood cries out for such things. Today, she dies with the soldiers she has sent away on the great ships of her Empire. Today she dies the death not of flesh but of the spirit... And she dies this death alone.[/quote']

I like the basic overall compositon, but (if it is OK to give a small amount of constructive criticism) I think a better job could be done with the lighting.

I'd like to see it be a bit darker (more somber). And more like fire light.

But again, overall, I like it.

The Throne Room is always lit up like that. I mentioned it a game about 12 years ago and had to make up an explanation on the spot. I guess with that pic I was trying to contrast her mood to the lighting. However, in art, Lighting IS Mood often enough, right? In her own room, it's probably dark as pitch.

One of the problems with Poser software is that it has never had good control over lighting. The simplest way to deal with it is to use photoshop - it has good tools in the "render" filters.

If you want to avoid that, you can do the following:

Delete all the lights in Poser (Panic! The scene goes totally black!)

OK, don't panic :D instead make a new light - a Spotlight) and point it at the character. Generally this light should be wide-angle, medium-hi intensity and hard shadows (maybe 90%) Then aim other spotlights at the light sources - in the picture above, the flame sources. Make them narrow beam, high intensity and soft shadows. That gives an effect of backlighting.

It adds alot ot atmosphere - here's an example of what I mean (a ranger from our d20 game) - the spotlight effect lets the background fade out, giving a more somber, threatening feel

cheers, Mark

One of the problems with Poser software is that it has never had good control over lighting. The simplest way to deal with it is to use photoshop - it has good tools in the "render" filters.

Poser 6 has greatly improved it's lighting features. The addition of point lights alone make it worth getting. Image Based Lighting and Ambiant Occlusion can both really help improve lighting quality and gets rid if the infamous glowing mouths and nostrils.

Poser 6 has greatly improved it's lighting features. The addition of point lights alone make it worth getting. Image Based Lighting and Ambiant Occlusion can both really help improve lighting quality and gets rid if the infamous glowing mouths and nostrils.

I'd agree that Poser 6 has greaty improved its capacities. Here's a work in progress, where I engaged in a little "poser destruction testing" - windforce, hair effects and dynamic clothing, all on one figure. Put that lot together and it starts to run slooooow....

Last night we went to see Utlagnin (the outlaw) an Icelandic film based on Gisli's saga, about a man who has to avenge his blood brother's death by killing his brother-in-law. Then his sister has to avenge her husbands death, so she gets togeter a band to take revenge. Gisli becomes an outlaw and is eventually hunted down and killed. Then his sister tries to kill the man who killed him - taking revenge for her brother. Great film!

It reminded me of a series of games I ran in my campaign long ago which came to be known as "Sven Snötgöbblerson's saga" so when I got home I fired up the computer to start this.

The figure is intended to be Sven Snötgöbblerson - the final image will depict him walking away from Fedt Farni's farm through a snowstorm after having slaughtered everyone inside as revenge for his family's deaths. The figure's not finished yet - he still needs furry leggings and corrected textures on the hands (or maybe I'll make him some mittens) but I thought I'd post today since I am off to Turkey for two weeks tomorrow.

cheers, Mark

There is clearly much more to Poser than I've managed to work out; I've been playing around with Poser 5 and seem to have developed a knack for getting figures whose hips, knees, shoulders and elbows are irretrievably dislocated. I suspect it's one of those programs that actually require some attention to learn, curse it, and I'm not sure I have the time or the intestinal fortitude to devote to it -- it's so much easier just to draw the figures I want :)

Oh, I'm well familiar with the mutant joint phenomenon. It's tempting in Poser (just because you can) to grab a limb and move it where you want. The rest of the body follows as best it can, giving the impression that your figure has just been hit with a sonic blast, hurling it sideways and liquifying most of its bones.

You get (IMO) more realistic posing if you follow the way the way that limbs naturally move: move the torso to roughly where you want it (and the general position you want - hunched, twisted, etc), then the shoulders, then the forearms and last the hands. This tends - where it moves the upper limbs - not to have the distorting effect that starting with the hand or foot does.

cheers, Mark

Oh' date=' I'm well familiar with the mutant joint phenomenon. It's tempting in Poser (just because you can) to grab a limb and move it where you want. The rest of the body follows as best it can, giving the impression that your figure has just been hit with a sonic blast, hurling it sideways and liquifying most of its bones.[/quote']

Sounds like a great way to do fight scenes.

"Ahh! Nighthawk just took a 20d6 blast from Dr. Destroyer!" :shock:;)

Bill.

There is clearly much more to Poser than I've managed to work out; I've been playing around with Poser 5 and seem to have developed a knack for getting figures whose hips' date=' knees, shoulders and elbows are irretrievably dislocated. I suspect it's one of those programs that actually require some attention to learn, curse it, and I'm not sure I have the time or the intestinal fortitude to devote to it -- it's so much easier just to draw the figures I want :)[/quote']

My top tip for avoiding joint dislocation in Poser would be this: never attempt to pose figures using the mouse.

Instead, switch off Inverse Kinematics, select the joint you want to move, and use the posing dials (twist, bend and front-back) found at the bottom of the parameters window. They give you much better control and are far more intuitive.

The one exception is simulating massive blows to the body, where it's great to grab a part of the body, yank it out of place and watch the rest follow.

Now, having seen Markdoc's nice Viking above, I'm going to re-read his spotlight tips and start playing with lighting. I love the effect of the shadows on a simple, blank-background character sketch...

You must spread some rep around before giving it to Markdoc again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thats actually my work... I'm not sure how I did it, but that peice took me nearly three days to finish refining.

PS: Thanks to all of you who sent me comments, I'd only just noticed them a few days ago (when I went to change my avatar and title and all), I really appreciate them.

Ok' date=' heres one from a few months ago I though I'd share with ya'll. the character himself is rather vague, but its the Wings that were suposed to be the centerpeice of the drawing[/quote']

looking good!

Here's the current project...stupid photo cause my scanner isn't working. He's done in Ball point pen and I'll probubly finish him at lunch tomorrow (this is my "I'm on hold or it's my lunch break" drawing) It's an adult Blood Ketera...dragon is of course the closest thing. One of the many types being made right now for my campaign in the fall.

looking good!

Here's the current project...stupid photo cause my scanner isn't working. He's done in Ball point pen and I'll probubly finish him at lunch tomorrow (this is my "I'm on hold or it's my lunch break" drawing) It's an adult Blood Ketera...dragon is of course the closest thing. One of the many types being made right now for my campaign in the fall.

Looking awesome as usual Onyx