Super City

Hermit

Re: Super City

how about:

The Genre Fiends: a group of young to middle aged men and women who hold their hobbies in such high esteem that they cannot stand for them to be sullied by "idiots" and "morons", to this end; this gang frequents hobby and comic stores, movie theatres and bookstores, keeping a vigil over their precious commodities and extolling the virtues of doing it 'right' the fact that none of them can agree on what's 'right' has kept the gang from being a particular threat. The inevitable infighting generally solves any situation they might be in.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about:

The Genre Fiends: a group of young to middle aged men and women who hold their hobbies in such high esteem that they cannot stand for them to be sullied by "idiots" and "morons", to this end; this gang frequents hobby and comic stores, movie theatres and bookstores, keeping a vigil over their precious commodities and extolling the virtues of doing it 'right' the fact that none of them can agree on what's 'right' has kept the gang from being a particular threat. The inevitable infighting generally solves any situation they might be in.

Ahhh.. the harsh glaring light of reflected satire... it burns us!

;)

Joe's Cheap Eats: A dive in the lobby level of an otherwise upscale appartment building, it has alley frontage and large glass windows. Famed for it's bizarely greasy barbecue and spoon-withering coffee. Unexceptional, save for it's yellow layer of nicotine on all the surfaces and it's brisk lunchtime trade with the business in the only other no-interior-entrance space on the same level:

Rent-a-Snitch: A unique and unadvertised company doing a brisk business in street talk, rumors, and helping fledgling heroes 'front' themselves to their peers. They offer everything from replacement snitches (after yours gets outted or arrested) to grab-bags of shipping schedules to sparring partners willing to take public dives (costumes extra).

And Hermit, as soon as I can, I intend to hunt this thread down and rep you!

I owe you some rep, I also was denied when I clicked on your scales.

Evil Cult of Scientolgy^W Wacky Beliefs And when the scientists at Man Was Not Meant to Know Research Labs determine that your dohickey *is* magic, you can bet these guys are to blame. Human sacrafice, portals to unknown dimensions and demonic incantations are all in their stock and trade. Then on weekends they show up at your front door with persuasive tracts wanting to sell you a cookie.

This has been so much fun I want to run my next campaign (or at least a one shot) in this city -- it needs a formal write-up! :)

Axis-Dent Chemical Works -- A run down factory works which always finds itself the scene of tragedy when some hapless citizen blunders into the place and encounters unearthly cocktails of molecules never meant to be combined in a human body! About half of the time, a new superhero is created, and the other half, a hideous new villain! And of course, let's not forget the epic battles between good and evil which always do extensive damage but never seem to destroy the place nor inspire anyone to clean up this toxic waste dump...

If I can, Hermit, this is certainly rep-worthy!

Matt "Lovin'-it-to-death" Frisbee

I can't believe nobody thought of:

Itelu's Bar: This bar is frequented by the most loose-lipped mob punks on the planet. The owner won the lottery a few years ago, which is the only way he can replace the plate glass mirror behind the bar after the latest "hero" forgets to Google for some information and has to destroy half the bar and three quarters of the patrons to find out a movie time or maybe where their DNPC is being held. Currently seeking an insurance policy out of state. :nonp:

WPDR (Plot Device Radio) - The local radio station formats it's news in such a way that all one need do is turn on the radio and hear the most relevent news. No music' date=' no commercials, no unneeded news, just plot points 24 hours a day.[/quote']

Not just a genre trope, but a vital part of adventure fiction!

Repped!

Ya know....

I loved this thread when it really reared up before, but now that I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing, this thread is making me wish I had learned basic programming.

This would be an AMAZING basis for a KoL style parody game about supers.

So I'm gonna go wander back through this thread and give out my days quota of drive by reppings.

WPDR (Plot Device Radio) - The local radio station formats it's news in such a way that all one need do is turn on the radio and hear the most relevent news. No music' date=' no commercials, no unneeded news, just plot points 24 hours a day.[/quote']

Plot Device Radio.. I love it.

They do play music tho, in between special bulletins. Only songs that trigger flashbacks, repressed memories, or have lyrics that give a hero the sudden flash of inspiration needed to beat the villan.

Mel O'Drama Memorial Hospital: Where the dedicated nurses and doctors can save anybody from anything' date=' unless they are a nameless extra or their death is mandated by a season finale or sweeps week. Special rates for DNPCs.[/quote']

Don't forget all the doctors and nurses are good looking and willing to get personally involved with the patients.

Shyster & Crooke Law Firm

This sleazy legal firm represents all of the crooks and criminals around, ensuring that even when they are arrested they rarely go to jail, and if they do, they don't stay there long.

Shiela Selwig's Home for Displaced Children: your typical orphanage, Shiela's home deals specifically in children who have been scarred psychologically by losing their family to violence. The live-in students are expected to attend classes and earn high marks during the day, and after their chores attend to their extra-curricular activities including track, tumbling, martial arts, demolitions, and archery. Casually known in the super's community as 'the sidekick store.'

Dewey, Chetham & Howe -- The famous legal firm which (more or less) successfully defends the forces of evil -- um, that is, innocent accused, against the baseless accusations of superheroes, police, eyewitnesses and corporate whistleblowers, regardless of the so called "facts" of the case in question.

Matt "Havin'-more-fun-than-a-barrel-full-of-monkeys" Frisbee

la nouvelle gestion

a swanky restaurant in the nice part of town the food is fabulous and everyone who is anyone will be there on the gal a opening night.

unfortunately no one has ever got to dessert because the restaurant always seems to be invaded by terrorists, super villains or the demonic entity of the week just after the soup course.

not to worry there are always a few super heroes having a quiet dinner with there DNPC and they ill be happy to deal with the mess just as soon as they slip off to change.

The restaurant is constantly changing with new decor and food selection for every gala opening as the building is sold dirt cheap to another out of towner wanting to make it big in super city.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone needs some place to unwind after a day of battling the villains.

Terrizian's Super Club An open club to anyone with superpowers, whether innate, tech, magic, or whatever. While they claim to possess a no-fight rule, there is never any repercussions when one breaks out. As a result, it is a place where one is just as likely to meet and pummel their hunted as they are to actually get the R&R that brought them there.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Irony Movie Theater- A movie house that is somehow playing old and new movies that have titles (over pieces overlapping) giving clues into the nature of the current adventure or threats soon to come. Thus

"Exiled"

Lord of..."

"Transfomers" should probably alarm any hero with sense.

It's also a dandy place to hold battles that fit the current movie playing.

Let's Play Global Thermonuclear War Cyber Cafe- With fantastic connections and hook ups, and a mysterious knack for having access into even isolated off the grid computer systems, this is THE place to hack the major government, industrial, and scientific systems of the city. Whether you're a psycho villain out to arrange the panic and death of thousands on purpose (Don't worry, oddly, no one seems to notice the clown outfit as you tap away) or just some hapless Kid who's smart enough to crack ANY Code, but too stupid to realize the military simulation is real... LPGTW Cybercafe is for you.

The Old ACME Novelties Building: Back in the 30s and 40s, this place did a brisk business turning out giant-sized props, like five story tall typewriters, or pencils as big as a bus, for various special events and grand openings. Then they got into the toy business, making toy soldiers, tanks, cars, places, and the like. In the late 50as, it was bought out by a costume shop, and did well for a while. Hard times hit in the late 60s, when so many people started dressing so oddly it was hard to convince anyone that an outfit was, or wasnt, a "costume", so they reorganized as a Circus supply outlet. That didnt last long, and it became an Army Surplus store for a while, before finally going out of business in the early 1980s. The thing that kept drawing potential owners in was the seemingly limitless underground storage space; odds and ends from all its prior owners are still stacked up back there!

Now its used by vagrants and drifters....or the occasional supervillian who might somehow find it useful to have costume parts, explosives, a wide variety of vintage toys, circus paraphanalia, giant props, and a full machine shop handy.

Did I mention that its adjacent to the old abandoned Amusement Park?