What is your ideal sized hero group

Guzalot

For all you GM's out there: How many PC's do you like in your gaming group? For myself I prefer 3 to 5 players. I like everyone to feel involved and I like to sometimes focus an adventure around one PC for a session or two (rescue his DNPC, explore his background, etc) every so often to make that player feel more connected and a part of to the game world. I find that if my group gets over 5 people I am not able to do that as well, which is a reflection of my limitations as a GM of course.

How about you guys?

Re: What is your ideal sized hero group

However many players are the right fit with my GMing style. I'm old and tired. I don't want to deal with selfish players or paranoid players. I want players who can respect my goals and the goals of other players along with their own. Right now, I've got three players who I think can do this. I'm gearing up to run a game. If I had 9 players with their approach it would work just fine.

For all you GM's out there: How many PC's do you like in your gaming group? For myself I prefer 3 to 5 players. I like everyone to feel involved and I like to sometimes focus an adventure around one PC for a session or two (rescue his DNPC, explore his background, etc) every so often to make that player feel more connected and a part of to the game world. I find that if my group gets over 5 people I am not able to do that as well, which is a reflection of my limitations as a GM of course.

How about you guys?

I'm pretty much with you on that. Too many players and I feel like I'm 'falling behind' or robbing someone of their fun.

How about you guys?

I prefer to run with 500 PC's. Baring that Ill take as many as I can get.

Seriously though, personally I don't put a number limit on it -- Im more of a quality guy. Ill take 3 really good players over 6 mediocre one. But if I can get 9 good players, Ill definitely take them.

Good people make for good games, plain and simple, and I don't see any point in placing artificial limitations on how many of them Ill allow in.

When I (re)started running Hero, I had 3 players. It was a good number, small enough to focus on individual PCs without everyone else getting bored, large enough to have some group dynamic.

Then, we suddenly added two more, for a total of 5 players. I'm finding that a lot of the things I was trying simply don't work anymore.

So, for me, 3 is a good number, 5 is the limit.

I agree with the 3 to 5 range. Most of our old Champs games had 4 players. But like Shrike said, it also depends on quality. I'd rather do a one on one game with an excellent player , or an 8 person troupe of high quality players, than run 3 beligerent Monty Haul gamists.

I do recall playing in a 10 person Chamions game at Origins many years ago where the action moved so slow I fell asleep for 45 minutes... and woke up just as my speed 5 character was coming up to his next phase.

Duos and Trios are fun.

Yes, they are. Lots of room for character development and roleplay.

The 8-10 heroes at a time I currently run is just insane.

You're a better man than I, I wouldn't even attempt more than 6 or 7. If you can pull it off and keep the game moving I salute you.

Yes, they are. Lots of room for character development and roleplay.

You're a better man than I, I wouldn't even attempt more than 6 or 7. If you can pull it off and keep the game moving I salute you.

You just have to be a little hardassed. If a player isnt ready to go when you get to them, they auto-hold.

Another approach is to start applying combat penalties for the amount of time a player dithers; every 5 minutes incurs a -1 OCV -1 DCV. You'd be amazed at how responsive players get when you insert an actual penalty for indecision.

I personally like 6 players, but am happy with good role-players and players that aren't selfish. I've been in a game that has had 8 players run smoothly and one that's had three players go rough.

That same three player group I had just two show up and they went off on a tangent, obsessed with investigating deep into Chinatown (when only the outskirt was involved in the adventure) and having me completely ad lib (though I did put in a street sign that said "Dead End" when the PCs were walking further into it after an encounter; they laughed because they picked up on that clue).

I have a strong preference for running small groups. I've had fairly good luck with groups as large as 8, but really prefer running groups of 2-3. In fact, small numbers, but with occassional convergences of larger numbers, defined my freedom patrol campaign. There were field teams of 2-3, but the full cadre was 12. I also enjoy running solo-adventures. A lot. One on one with a good player is a blast.

In college I could run large games, but it really depends on the players. I'm with Killer Shrike in that if there are quality players, then a hard limit doesn't make sense.

I'll let you know if I think differently with a PBEM.

3-6 most times. I've had fun with one and two-player games, but I would hesitate to call them a "group". ;) Trios can be a blast, as you're big enough for options but can still be very tightly-knit. Four's good, five is good, six is OK. More than that can get out of hand, and it's hard to give enough screen time to everyone.

One thing I like about the 3-5 range is that it's easier for me as a GM to set up a variety of threats.

Assuming normal powered heroes, I can put them up against:

*lots of agents

*several agents and one-two villains

*villain team

*master villain

all of which will play differently, be a reasonable threat, and not be a nightmare to keep up with and stat out. With 9 heroes, it's much more work to make up the world-class villain or villain team of the week to compete. I can put more depth into the villains and the world in general with a smaller group.

I am loathe to admit it, but WOTC IMO did get one thing right. I find that 4-6 players is good with 4 being the optimum number. With four players everyone gets some individual time and it has more of a cozy feel to the game. It is very easy to go up to 5 or 6, but after 6 it starts getting to crowded and filled with distranctions.

3 is a good number, but I currenly have 2, sometimes 3, and feel we need more people for more ideas to be put on the table instead of me running NPCs all the time.

4-6 for me. Less than that and I feel like there are bases not being covered. More and it's hard for everyone to get a little "face time." My group right now is 5 and might go up to 6 soon, and it feels right.

However, the most fun I ever had playing was in a game that had only 3 players.

Bill.

How about you guys?

4 or 5 PC's are perfect for me.