What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Perhaps my best pickup from Westercon -- a local audio drama group's production of perhaps the greatest radioplay ever written, and one of the few that survivies to this day -- Archibald Macliesh's The Fall of the City. It was originally written and produced in 1937, at the peak of power of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin. It was originally produced for CBS by a workshop company that included Orson Welles and Burgess Meredith. The technique of a simulatyed news broadcast would later be used by Welles in his adaptation of War of the Worlds the next year.

The play (which I won't link to, because the version I bought isn't online) concerns a city that is being approached by a "Conqueror" and how the populace reacts to the prospect of a coming conquest. It's a divers and often contradictory set of responses. Messengers send terrifying reports. Appeals to non-violence are embraced and condemned. Appeals to religious fervor are counteracted with an appeal to take up arms -- which proves to be pointless. In the end the city embraces the Conqueror, and only the reporter sees that the populace has manufactured their own opressor.

As I mentioned, the play was originally produced in 1937. It was a perilous time, when there was a real chance that American democracy would fail in the face of dictatorship's appeal. Almost eighty years later, the theme is just as resonant as it was then -- if not more so.

You can buy the CD here. It is one of the best $10 I've spent all year.

"Sweetheart of the Sun" - the Bangles' fifth studio album, which I just bought (hadn't known about it until recently).

Really good stuff, as always.

(I miss Micki Steele, though. It's like The Beatles would have been without George Harrison. Not a tremendous difference, but an important one.)

"Funeral March - Version 1 (Mr. Dark Theme)" from the unused Georges Delerue soundtrack for Something Wicked This Way Comes. The score was seen as "too dark", and the movie was re-scored by James Horner before its release.

Given that Something Wicked This Way Comes is a very dark movie, this is surprising. Perhaps Disney felt they needed to make it a little bit less so.

Given that Something Wicked This Way Comes is a very dark movie, this is surprising. Perhaps Disney felt they needed to make it a little bit less so.

Disney in the early 80s was a studio in trouble, and they really didn't know how to break out of the "G" ratings, and into more adult material*. I'm sure that the powers that be had approved Something Wicked This Way Comes without realizing just how dark the film would be, and I can understand them having some jitters about the director's cut that was handed to them. They spent another $5 million on changing the score, rewriting and reshooting several of the scenes with a new director. There are some scenes that are referenced on the Intrada CD release that correspond to parts which were completely changed during those reshoots.

Here's a sample of what the score was like**:

*It was Michael Eisner who ultimately found a way for Disney to do "R" rated movies--by releasing them under the Touchstone Pictures imprint. Eisner took over Disney in 1984, the year after Something Wicked was released.

**I'd recommend going to the Intrada site and listening to some of the available tracks. The "Main Theme" is actually a bit more intense than the portion referenced in the Youtube clip, and the "Calliope (Mr Dark Theme)" and "Mirrors" are definitely moody. http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9969/.f

*It was Michael Eisner who ultimately found a way for Disney to do "R" rated movies--by releasing them under the Touchstone Pictures imprint. Eisner took over Disney in 1984, the year after Something Wicked was released.

The first Touchstone release in 1985 was Splash!. a light and somewhat naughty comedy about a mermaid. Not a particularly controversial sort of movie -- except that it was released by Disney. So there was controversy over Disney, a band built around family entertainment, doing a movie like this (even under a new brand intended to deliberately distinguish it as for adult audiences). In the end Eisner\s gamble on Touchstone Pictures was a success, and helped restore Disney to prominence as a movie studio as it released more and more pictures. This in turn helped bring about the Disney Renaissance of their neglected animation division, which suddewnly became relevant again with The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast -- movies that could not have been as good as they were if they were made the old Disney way.

As of course, Eisner's decision to commision a movie from a fledgling CGI studio called Pixar meant nothing would ever be the same again.

Splash! had one other major impact on American film by bringing a TV comic from a naughty sitcom to the attention of Hollywood proper. The sitcom was the crossdressing comedy Bosom Buddies, and the comedian's name? Tom Hanks.