• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I had a retaining wall made of railroad ties that fell. I was looking for a cheap way to replace it. This is a picture of a retaining wall made of stacked bags of concrete mix. You lay a row and wet it with the hose. Gravity, fluidity, and the miracle of concrete makes it work. The paper bags come off and it looks like stacked stone.

[ATTACH]43970[/ATTACH]

I had a retaining wall made of railroad ties that fell. I was looking for a cheap way to replace it. This is a picture of a retaining wall made of stacked bags of concrete mix. You lay a row and wet it with the hose. Gravity, fluidity, and the miracle of concrete makes it work. The paper bags come off and it looks like stacked stone.

[ATTACH]43970[/ATTACH]

Brick in a bag. ;)

[ATTACH]43970[/ATTACH]

Did you make that one?

[ATTACH]43970[/ATTACH]

Buy some cheap rebar, dig a trench and cement the rebar in place. Then drop the bags of cement onto the rebar so that it punches through the bags as you stack them. Then water the whole thing, and you get a reinforced retaining wall as well. Assuming that you needed the reinforcement.

Buy some cheap rebar' date=' dig a trench and cement the rebar in place. Then drop the bags of cement onto the rebar so that it punches through the bags as you stack them. Then water the whole thing, and you get a reinforced retaining wall as well. Assuming that you needed the reinforcement.[/quote']

My wall will simply be erosion control and, the research I've done says I won't need the rebar (I had considered it) as the compression of the bags should lock it together tightly.

If the wall is for errosion control' date=' consider placing some drainage behind the wall. Just a PVC pipe with holes in it on the bottom, then gravel over the pipe and sandwitched between the wall and the soil. It should add some longevity to the wall.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm going to build a french drain behind it after the first few courses.

After some more research, rebar can't hurt, so I'll be doing that. Also, another neat picture. The state of Texas built a basin simply using unopened bag of concrete, rebar, and water.

[ATTACH]43981[/ATTACH]

Yup. Rebar can't hurt, unless you get hit by it. I studied architecture in college before getting diverted to IT. As you probably already learned in your research, rebar provides several benefits to a structure.

Yup. Rebar can't hurt' date=' unless you get hit by it. I studied architecture in college before getting diverted to IT. As you probably already learned in your research, rebar provides several benefits to a structure.[/quote']

Yes. I've worked with poured structures and the more I study this method, despite the short rise, the more I think that tying it together will give me peace of mind.

have you looked into basalt reinforcing mesh? lots of tricksty things you can do using that stuff....

I'm familiar with it, but after being quoted between $12,000 and $18,000 to replace the retaining wall, I decided that I:

A) Needed something that would look good

B) Didn't require that I use a backhoe to lift the materials to the top row of the wall

C) Inexpensive and solid

D) Required minimum forming and shoring

E) Did not require a pump truck

As a result, mesh (as opposed to rebar) would not work with what is, essentially, a variation on earthbag construction.

[ATTACH]43970[/ATTACH]

Wouldn't the paper of those bags keep a good bond from forming between them?

Apparently it's quite the reverse. The fiber in the paper helps the bond and allows the small amount of wet cement to pass through the paper and form its own mortar.

Just what I was going to say. From what I understand, it's similar to putting straw in the mud/clay when making your own bricks.

Apparently it's quite the reverse. The fiber in the paper helps the bond and allows the small amount of wet cement to pass through the paper and form its own mortar.

Just what I was going to say. From what I understand' date=' it's similar to putting straw in the mud/clay when making your own bricks.[/quote']

Okay. :) I have no experience with it to draw upon. But there are two layers of paper back-to-back when using stacked bags, which in my thoughts would tend to keep the concretes in the bags separated. Unless the paper is made to be used in this way, and is/becomes more permeable then I would normally think for a bag for storage/protection.