Villain Summary Charts/Tables In Books

Steve Long

Our villain-oriented Champions books, and books that have lots of characters, such as CKC, Arcane Adversaries, and Teen Champions, usually have a couple of tables at the back of the book that summarize the villains. They categorize the villains by type, list their point costs and page references, and hit the high points of their character sheets.

Do you find these tables helpful? Do you use them (frequently, occasionally, at all)? I don't mind preparing them if people actually consider them useful and use 'em, but it's a lot of work I'd just as soon skip if no one's doing anything with 'em.

Re: Villain Summary Charts/Tables In Books

I personally don't use them. I've probably looked at the back of CKC 3 times since I bought the book [and those glances were just so that I could make my own list of characters based on point totals] and I've never looked in the back of AA. I would rather see the pages used to include another characters or two.

I'll concur with the above statement. The tables aren't really used all that much by me. The characters I'm interested in, I usually read up on them enough to know all the stuff listed anyways. The only thing I WOULD keep is the threat level rating. That is useful...and a nice in game way to define said bad guy's power level. You might just put the rating somewhere within the character writeup as opposed to adding it to the chart.

Rob

Steve,

Even though it is more work, you might want to consider keeping some sort of Master List of Villains here on the site.

You could take the same information you already have, and just add a column for which book they came from.

Not only would it be handy for us, it may help you sell more books.

It is possible that a GM who needs a "450-point Energy Blasting Alien villain" for an upcoming scenario, might buy the book that this character is featured in.

But unless he has time to go to the local store and thumb through all the books, he may not know this villain exists.

If no one on staff has time for this project, there are probably people on the board who both own all the books and wouldn't mind scanning in the information.

Or if you guys could post it in it's raw form, there would be people happy to organize it into a spreadsheet format and send it back for you to put up.

Just an idea.

Steve,

Even though it is more work, you might want to consider keeping some sort of Master List of Villains here on the site.

You could take the same information you already have, and just add a column for which book they came from.

Not only would it be handy for us, it may help you sell more books.

It is possible that a GM who needs a "450-point Energy Blasting Alien villain" for an upcoming scenario, might buy the book that this character is featured in.

But unless he has time to go to the local store and thumb through all the books, he may not know this villain exists.

If no one on staff has time for this project, there are probably people on the board who both own all the books and wouldn't mind scanning in the information.

Or if you guys could post it in it's raw form, there would be people happy to organize it into a spreadsheet format and send it back for you to put up.

Just an idea.

I agree with the above. It would be nice to see a master list on the website itself. The list wouldn't need to be any thing major and could just cover the basics like the Master Reference Chart [telling us the name, category, and point total].

I've used them a couple of times, for campaign planning purposes, and did the same with the chart in Classic Enemies in the last edition. However, I've also wound up compiling Excel spreadsheets of villains, too. Sometimes I've wanted to be able to sort on some piece of information that isn't included in the chart (such as max potential STR), or wanted to include characters from multiple books with homebrewed characters. I'd say that they're a minor convenience, but their absence wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me in buying future supplements.

I've used them, usually to quick scan for a specific archetype/motivation/ or power level needed to run a game on the fly fast.

EDIT: To be more helpful as MitchelS suggests, I use them Frequently. I might miss their convience, but not drastically so.

I use it from time to time. If I am pulling together some random villains which I plan to shave off the serial numbers, its a quick way to find a flyer or brick to round out a team. Also by giving a quick overview of where the powers come from is handy as I can eliminate certain NPCs (frex Looking to fill out a mutant team, I can cross out all the technology based NPCs)

I'd have to say I use them 'occasionally', usually when I'm looking for a new villain to throw at PCs, or perhaps trying to put together some sort of pattern/team in my mind and need quick reference information. I enjoy having them and would be bummed if they went away.

That being said, if Steve quit putting 'em in the books I think we all know that someone else would put 'em on a website. I'd certainly consider doing it. And think of the cost savings! A couple less pages per book adds up, kiddies! DoJ could pass that savings on to us!

Hey, Steve...speaking of: would it be permissable if I (or someone) created a similar reference chart to the ones of which you speak and put them on a site? Or would you prefer that didn't happen?

Hey, Steve...speaking of: would it be permissable if I (or someone) created a similar reference chart to the ones of which you speak and put them on a site? Or would you prefer that didn't happen?

If we keep producing them, I'd rather you not do that. If I decide to stop producing them, I wouldn't mind getting an interested volunteer to take over. I'll keep you posted.

If we keep producing them' date=' I'd rather you not do that. If I decide to stop producing them, I wouldn't mind getting an interested volunteer to take over. I'll keep you posted.[/quote']

Sorry, I meant to say "if you decide to discontinue the practice".

But thanks :)

Personally I rather have it in an Excel file or some other way to sort the characters by. Have a nice quick way to sort the characters, name, powers, points, teams, etc... It would end up being a nice free updatable refrence.

It was a nice idea, but I'd rather see the space used for more characters.

I think having a master sheet on the site is a good idea.

If Hero ever officially incorporates the power-level ER rating (or something like it), might not be a bad idea to include that info on the character sheet.

Alternatively, you could show each villains combat-potential with a score from 1-10 or whatever.

I would have to agree with eveyone. A nice masterlist on the site, with the extra pages freed up for eather more charaters, plot seeds, ect.

Then again, I myself do not acualy have a campain. Mostly, I create villians and other stuff.

Which has me thinking, what will it take to have my villians published by Hero in an enimies book (eather real or on line)? I have a bunch of them at home, and I would be willing to write a book if thay could fit into the Hero Universe (through a Champions filter, of course).