How to do the "wedge the monster's mouth open" schtick?

Fitz

Something came up in the game I was playing in this evening when one of the characters, being attacked by a huge snakey monster critter, wanted to do that classic thing where one props open the monster's mouth with a stick — in this case, a staff. If you've seen "Return of the Jedi", when Luke was being chased around Jabba's pit by that enormous slobber-beast he stuck a bone into its mouth so that it couldn't bite down on him. That's the exact effect we were looking for.

How would you resolve this?

I was thinking along the lines of a Block, with the whole "stick in the mouth" thing being nothing more than SFX. But how would you deal with the ongoing effects — in other words, how to determine how long it takes for the creature to clear the obstruction so that it can go on chompin'?

Entangle was MY first thought as well but I'd have gone for a recoverable charge - finding appropriate stick! :-)

Another thought might be suppress bite attack with a destroyable OAF - the GM can decide how long it lasts depending on the materials to hand and so the damage it takes from the beast in question.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

For what you're describing, I'd simply impose an OCV penalty to position the stick (maybe -2), and make the beast break the stick (using strength, not HKA) before he could bite again.

That is along the lines of how I would handle it as well. It is interesting that most Hero gamers initial response to in game effects is to try to define a power or skill to simulate it.

Player: I'll set the glass of water on the table.

GM: Ok, make a dex check to ensure you don't spill the one recoverable charge, glass of water...and if you want to use the glass of water on a regular basis, you'll need to pay the points for it.

Player: But it's just a glass of water.

GM: Right, but the glass of water is Life Support: surviving in desert, one charge...

I'm not trying to take a shot at anybody, because I do it to. I just find it amusing. :)

For what you're describing, I'd simply impose an OCV penalty to position the stick (maybe -2), and make the beast break the stick (using strength, not HKA) before he could bite again.

Yeah. That's probably the cleanest way. Except that I would impose a hell of a lot more than -2. HITTING the head is already -8, and just whacking away is a lot easier than that fine control. In martial arts, if I could tap someone gently, they were WIDE open. I'd call it about a -12. Now, in the example, the creature (Rancor?) was huge, so already had an extremely low DCV. With Luke's DEX and CSLs, that wouldn't be too hard to simulate in a game. Of course, this runs into the age-old difference between gaming and literature - in the movie, Luke HAD to succeed or it would've been a short movie. But this one is reasonably gameable.

There is a tendency among Herophiles to want to try to shove EVERY single thing you can do into a power construct. Then the next logical step is that you can't do X unless you've paid points for X.

Worst thing you can do. Stifles creativity. Turns the game into "you can do EXACTLY what your character sheet says you can do and NO MORE." Folks who try the game under those conditions get a a bad impression of the game - as though it's more of an engineering exercise than an RPG.

If someone comes up with a clever maneuver, figure out how it would work and let it happen! One of the unique things about an RPG as opposed to other game types is its free-form improvisational nature.

"You've been grabbed by a giant creature and it's bringing you up toward its gaping mouth, which is filled with razor-sharp teeth! WHAT DO YOU DO?"

To limit the responses to what the player can find pre-defined on his sheet does a great disservice to what an RPG should be and usually is.

sbarron:

You entered your post while I was composing my last one! You think like I do and at the same time!

Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you like that...

Seriously. I liked your take on it. Pithy.

"But it's just a glass of water" :P

Originally posted by Arthur

Yeah. That's probably the cleanest way. Except that I would impose a hell of a lot more than -2. HITTING the head is already -8, and just whacking away is a lot easier than that fine control. In martial arts, if I could tap someone gently, they were WIDE open. I'd call it about a -12. Now, in the example, the creature (Rancor?) was huge, so already had an extremely low DCV. With Luke's DEX and CSLs, that wouldn't be too hard to simulate in a game. Of course, this runs into the age-old difference between gaming and literature - in the movie, Luke HAD to succeed or it would've been a short movie. But this one is reasonably gameable.

-12 is way too much of a penalty for trying to hit a creature who's head is large enough to swallow a man whole (or bite one in half, like a large Gator). What I suggest is taking the creatures Size Modifier and subtracting that from the Hit Location penalty.

Ex: A 4 meter long snake (2 hexes, or 3 levels of growth. Size mod -2) wants to swallow our Hero whole. Mr. Hero wants to shove his scabbard into the giant snakes mouth to stop him from doing so. The Gm determines this is a head hit (Hit Location mod -8) but the snake is giant sized (Size mod -2) so the GM determines that the OCV penalty for this maneuver is only -6. Our Hero puts all his skill levels into OCV and goes for broke...

If it was a superhero standing in the thing's mouth, I'd have used grab.

I'd give the monster only casual str, not full str for snapping the stick.

Coming right mor me!!

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

-12 is way too much of a penalty for trying to hit a creature who's head is large enough to swallow a man whole (or bite one in half, like a large Gator). What I suggest is taking the creatures Size Modifier and subtracting that from the Hit Location penalty.

Ex: A 4 meter long snake (2 hexes, or 3 levels of growth. Size mod -2) wants to swallow our Hero whole. Mr. Hero wants to shove his scabbard into the giant snakes mouth to stop him from doing so. The Gm determines this is a head hit (Hit Location mod -8) but the snake is giant sized (Size mod -2) so the GM determines that the OCV penalty for this maneuver is only -6. Our Hero puts all his skill levels into OCV and goes for broke...

I'd say your on the right track.

If that big mouth is coming right for you it is going to be much easier to hit. The thing is trying to get you in it's mouth so anything you have in your hand is going to tend to go there anyway. At the very least I would halve the called shot modifier and apply all size mods on top of that, and perhaps apply a grab modifier. Otherwize it is way more difficult than it should be.

If a transport truck is coming right at you it is hard to miss the front grill.

When building it as an entangle, don't forget to give the monster vulnerability to stick entangles ;)

I'm kidding of course. It was a good question, and one I've not had to deal with yet. And the result should definitely be outside the mechanics of building it as a power. It should just be handled off the cuff, like suggested with the OCV mods, etc.

Nicely done posters! Rendezvous back at Herogames base.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Ummm. I DID mention that a very large creature would already have a very low DCV. Or at least it should. That's one advantage to building it 4th Ed. style with Always On Growth.

"Very low DCV due to large size" or "you get bonusses to hit due to large size" are functionally identical.

To use the Star Wars example again, I'd rate that thing at roughly nine levels of Growth equivalent size. That's a -6 to DCV IIRC. That would give it a base DCV of about -1. Then the maneuver would have to hit a DCV of 11. Difficult, but not outrageously so.

Rather than casual STR, perhaps it would be better to allow the creature to use its Bite attack damage (maybe converted to normal damage, since the stick is lodged between its teeth).

Also, the stick might have its DEF increased by a point or two because it's in an unusual position - standard DEF/BODY for "wood" is for breaking things when you have good leverage and angle of attack.

You might also have the creature make an INT roll to figure out there's other ways to get the stick out than to bite down on it.

All in all, though, all Luke's maneuver really did was distract the rancor for a phase, -- maybe a second one while it looked around for him (PER roll vs Concealment?).

Originally posted by TaxiMan

WARNING! Graphic images, of a snake that ate a guy in the Amazon:

http://www.strangecosmos.com/view.adp?picture_id=9766

That... was... hideous! Of course you did warn me.

How asleep did that guy have to be! I mean, these are not fast snakes. It had to have time to wrap around him, slowly, then squeeze him. Unless he died of somethin else before the snake found him. (Like a heart-attack! I know I'd have one if I woke up and a snake that big was nuzzling up to me)

Originally posted by Blue

That... was... hideous! Of course you did warn me.

How asleep did that guy have to be! I mean, these are not fast snakes. It had to have time to wrap around him, slowly, then squeeze him. Unless he died of somethin else before the snake found him. (Like a heart-attack! I know I'd have one if I woke up and a snake that big was nuzzling up to me)

First, that series of pics is a well-known hoax. The animal in the first photo had eaten a small pig. The animal which was cut open is a posed shot.

Second, a 4 meter snake is in no way large enough to swallow an adult human. That's 13'. Here's a pic of a 12' burmese python, first one, with the kids holding it. Look at the head. Even unhinging its jaws, the snake could in no way get the shoulders of even one of the kids in the pic down its throat, nor would it try if it killed one.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, the snake in the bottom pic on this page is a 12' burm and its head is right next to the guy's hand who's holding it, and it's not even as big as the hand. That snake probably eats medium rabbits, at best.

http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscorps/RALLC/monthly.htm

The following is a picture of Baby, the world's largest snake. It's a 27 foot, over 400 pound Burmese python. It's not big enough to eat even the kid in the pic with it. Again, humans aren't shaped like food.

http://ahau.nidus.net/ss/home.html

The next pic is Fluffy, probably the largest reticulated python in captivity. Again, even with the forced perspective in the pic, it's clear the snake isn't big enough to eat Bob Clark in the background. (Bob Clark is the preeminent breeder of giant constrictors, and his site http://www.bobclark.com is chock full of info on reptiles of all kinds.)

http://12.210.130.56/GalleryOne/fluffy01.jpg

Thing is... snakes are just one very big, flexible tube o' muscle. Every one of the snakes in the above pictures could easily kill the strongest adult human without a whole lot of effort. In fact, any of the heavy-bodied constrictors can be a serious threat once they surpass about eight feet or so.

If you assume a fantasy snake to have similar proportions to the burmese python, which is the second heaviest, and probably the largest-headed of the giant constrictors, you'd have to go up to about 40or 50 feet to get one that's a man eater.

I've seen plenty of 12' plus burmese pythons and anacondas, and none of them is anywhere near large enough to swallow an adult human, or most kids for that matter.

IMHO, the critter's full normal STR should be used to break the stick (if that's what it decides to do). The jaw muscles are often the strongest ones inthe entire body, especially on preditory carnivorous animals (and even humans). The HKA bite damage may include extra dice to reflect the size/shape/sharpness of the teeth, which would be irrelevent in this case.

If you're already inside the thing's mouth, or close enough, an attack roll might not even be needed. Perhaps a DEX vs. DEX roll, or maybe slight-of-hand if you've got it, to position the stick in the just the right place before the beast can chomp down or twist away.

But wait, there's more: If the monster can open his mouth wider (and is smart enough to do this) the stick can just be dropped. And there's less: biting down on the vertical stick might hurt. Even poked yourself in the palate with a toothpick or had a dentist accidentally jab you? How much PD do you have on the inside of your mouth?

"Aha! But THIS dragon has a tongue shaped like a saw blade and simply cuts the stick in half with it!"

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

IMHO, the critter's full normal STR should be used to break the stick (if that's what it decides to do). The jaw muscles are often the strongest ones inthe entire body, especially on preditory carnivorous animals (and even humans). The HKA bite damage may include extra dice to reflect the size/shape/sharpness of the teeth, which would be irrelevent in this case.

I don't think so. There just isn't any leverage if the stick is wedged from the roof of the mouth to the bottom of the jaw. I know I certainly couldn't exert nearly the same amount of str that I could with my arms or legs. Casual str sounds right to me.

Originally posted by Arthur

Ummm. I DID mention that a very large creature would already have a very low DCV. Or at least it should. That's one advantage to building it 4th Ed. style with Always On Growth.

"Very low DCV due to large size" or "you get bonusses to hit due to large size" are functionally identical.

To use the Star Wars example again, I'd rate that thing at roughly nine levels of Growth equivalent size. That's a -6 to DCV IIRC. That would give it a base DCV of about -1. Then the maneuver would have to hit a DCV of 11. Difficult, but not outrageously so.

Don't forget that DCV penalties can not lower a creature or vehicles DCV below Zero, no matter how many penalties there are.

And the hit location modifier is to the attackers OCV, and has nothing to do with the defenders DCV, so that doesn't figure in.

Even hitting ther Rancor at size level 9 (-6 size mod) and the rancor being Zero DCV, the attacker would have to have an OCV of 7 to achieve even a 10 or less (50/50) chance to hit this big-assed mouth coming directly for him...(this calculation includes the -8 OCV to hit the "head" location)