Wwycd: Doom!!!!

Adventus

Re: Wwycd: Doom!!!!

Off-topic: I'm curious as to why so many folks seem to want to run screaming from this adventure?

Arch-enemy opens a gate that releases an evil more terrible than himself...and it is so terrible that he has to swallow his pride and ask YOU for help.

Unless you just despise DOOM the videogame for some reason, why is this so terrible a concept?

What's the point of waxing lyrical about something you can't possibly win? Who wants to fantasize about their character's pointless (and totally inevitable) death? "How will your street-level Dark Champions character defeat Galactus?" Um, he won't.

These kinds of impossible-to-win scenarios are pointless as WWYCD, and would be (in this particular instance) evidence of a bad GM.

I've never played the video game. Just saw the movie. Feel better about my character's chances of survival now.

First, I was expecting something like The Thing (John Carpenter version) where blunt force trama, poking holes in them, or choping pieces off were inconviences to the opponents, but they had to be damaged below the celluar level to kill them. These seem to operate more like Night of the Living Dead, kill them once, they rise transformed, kill them twice, they stay down.

Second, Dolphin and Snow Leopard, and possibly Millennium, have a natural analog to the C-24 factor, and possibly would be immune from the transformation.

Third, Millennium and Dolphin would not be selected for transformation (Snow Leopard and Cheeta defintiely would, Iron Will's a tossup).

So I think this has gone from certain death to better than a one-in-a-million chance of survival.

To quote Shrub, "Bring it on!"

Iron Max: I've got nothing to offer you in terms of a direct assault, and you know it. Why come to me? What makes you think that there's anything I can do to help with this?

Armorine: How did this come about? Will you submit to a mind-scan to verify the truth of your claims?

Mark 2: I'm in; dead or victorious, it can't get worse. What's the plan?

Off-topic: I'm curious as to why so many folks seem to want to run screaming from this adventure?

Arch-enemy opens a gate that releases an evil more terrible than himself...and it is so terrible that he has to swallow his pride and ask YOU for help.

Unless you just despise DOOM the videogame for some reason, why is this so terrible a concept?

I think that this scenario is "out of character" for Dr. Destroyer, which would have any character I played looking for the double-cross or the deception. An outright declaration by Dr. D that we are his superior in any respect, or could accomplish anything that he could not, can't be trusted...

I didn't read this as an out-of-character situation (we use whatever take we want for the NPCs anyway, or at least I do, the stuff in the books is a guideline not a straightjacket) nor did I see it as a no-win situation. This is probably because I do not use the Champs Universe and have maybe looked at Destroyers stats once. I understand what many are saying about his internal motivations, but I more or less saw the situation as:

Big Bad Dude in your campaign attempts to get you to help him defeat an evil larger than even he can handle. Do you help him despite the baggage that you have against him and the fact that he will also benefit from the saving of the world along with everyone else?

Sounds like standard superhero fare to me. In the end, the resistance is about the fact that it is Doc Destroyer (some of you have said this explicitly) and I don't have that gut negative reaction. Maybe this is because I do not use the established CHampions setting but develop my own. I guess I also prefer lower powered capaigns as a rule, my Big Bad isn't a 1000+ point Munchkin (nevertheless a very in genre Munchkin) that is largely a plot mover. If I ever decide to write a WWYCD I guess I'll have to keep this sensitivity to some stock characters in mind.

oh, and Jack Malleus would help (Big Bad Dude - BBD) such as he can (he is from a lower powered campaign), looking for ways to betray BBD to the greater evil if it is (a) something he can do wihtout the others finding out and (B) will not inhibit the destruction of said greater evil. "Making promises to people that don't keep theirs is like whizzin' in a windtunnel boy. There's bound to be a mess you already knew was gonna happen, so the best option is 'don't'." In his mind, BBD will be doing the same anyway, and the shark with the biggest fin wins.

"The PC": (Yes, I have a super who knows he is a PC, and is really paranoid about it. Thinks I will write up a new one far too easy to care if he gets killed. At least he stoppped trying to tell all the other PCs ) Will pray to his maker to attack the GM. Then will go hunting for a BFG. "I knew you'd screw me someday."

I've been hoping to find a GM to let me play this concept since I first read about Foxbat in the BBB... ("Foxbat thinks he's in a comic book - he's wrong, he's in an RPG...")

Oh, and using BBD instead of DD, Bunny would be somewhat wary, and a lot more than 'somewhat' nervous. "It's nice of you to drop by for a visit, but I don't know what you really expect me to do - sneak up on them" (she has colour-changing fur for Invisibility) "and start jumping up and down on them?" (Leaping: 12", probably going to upgrade that to 17" in my next character-sheet rewrite) "Oh, I know - you want me to contact my friends and ask them to open a wormhole off this planet you can escape through... or are you just trying to see if my medical nanites will prevent this infection-transformation? Maybe I should just take a vacation on Phobos for the next few weeks..."

I think that this scenario is "out of character" for Dr. Destroyer' date=' which would have any character I played looking for the double-cross or the deception. An outright declaration by Dr. D that we are his superior in any respect, or could accomplish anything that he could not, can't be trusted...[/quote']

I can definitely understand this view as well as some of the others' comments concerning Dr. D being involved in this scenario and that, sure, it could have been presented better. I guess I tend to look past some of the specifics in these cases and think of them from a 'generic plot seed' perspective.

Guest daeudi_454

I've been hoping to find a GM to let me play this concept since I first read about Foxbat in the BBB... ("Foxbat thinks he's in a comic book - he's wrong, he's in an RPG...")

A word of warning: this character concept will tick off the rest of the team (and players, and GM, and...), especially if he preaches the word.

"Einstein was wrong, god DOES play dice with the universe."

I think this sort of plot would be okay for any power level, as long as the GM adjusted the demons appropriately. The biggest issue is the BBD who recruits them. Doc Doom would never recruit. He would lure the heroes there, making them think they were there to stop him. Doom does not indebt himself willingly. But at least if he gave his word, you could trust him. Destroyer would atomize ya as soon as your back was turned.

Jessica - "Wow' date=' you're really stupid you know that? Not just your run of the mill stupid but a whole new category of stupid. We have to come up with a new term for this level of idiocy. Let's go **s-nugget, we got a monster to stomp."[/quote']

The term is "fragment of the original big-bang of stupid."

• 11 months later...

You walk into your headquarters and sitting in the chair in front of your monitoring station is none other than Dr. Destroyer himself. Before you can attack him' date=' he holds up his hand.[/quote']

Attack him? Kaja doesn't even know who he is :shock:

Pauses as he walks in, seeing (apparently) a new member of the team. Assuming he's on the mindlink, he'll wonder why noone else let him know, and do what he did with Apocalypse: transmit a mental image across the mindlink, asking "Do we have any idea who this is?"

The response to this will probably be more amusing (from an out-of-character perspective) than anything I could put here. More for the expressions on their (player's) faces than anything else.

He looks mutated' date=' almost like a demonic version of Gigaton.[/quote']

Kaja's first guess is that, whoever this is, he's being sought after for his expertise in mutations. His second guess is that he's needed as a distraction, in the hopes of buying enough time to stop the monsters. His third guess is that the whole thing is a trap, to lure someone willingly into the complex to be sacrificed to the demon for peace or shared power.

Very little of this is encouraging him to play along . . . :rolleyes:

Well, first off, most of them would like to get the local Mentalist's readout on what's really going on.

After they find out, most of them are starting to think that they really need to call in their reinforcements. And to be careful about it.

Most of them are very, very well below Dr. Destroyer's power level. For him, or even a duplicate of him, to get pwned by these guys means that it's damp splat time for most of my crew.

After they're done hyperventilating, it would probably occur to Huntress, at least, that there might be an explanation for this, and ask Destroyer if these things are packing an EMP-style weapon that would serve to wipe out the robots, but leave them (at least 'them' not counting her; her armor would be shut down too) with a chance of facing her... that would explain why Destroyer was coming to them too, really - they've got known mystics, and he'd be dead in nothing flat against an EMP effect like that.

Terminus: "I would presume we're just the first stop on a recruiting drive?" upon being told yes: "You go get the Champions. I'll get T.E.M.P.E.S.T., and try and get ahold of that bunch of dinosaur cyborgs. You want to contact the Sentinels, or should I do it?"

There is the evil of supervillains - and there is the evil beyong humanity. First things first.

Phidippus probably wouldn't be able to speak for a few minutes - first from shock, then from seething, murderous rage. He was in Detroit when Destroyer leveled it - as a matter of fact, it was a major factor in his decision to devote his life to superheroics. He's got a total CVK, but if there was ever a reason to break it, it's sitting right in front of him.

Seriously - this would probably be the biggest test of his character he'd ever face. If you met Hitler face to face, wouldn't the best of us consider sending him to his maker?

I suspect, though, that his first words would be something along the lines of:

"BULL#$%&!"

"How stupid do you think I am? There is no way in hell that you're Destroyer. You are a fake. A sick, disgusting, pathetic fake. You deserve nothing less than my absolute and utter contempt for simply wearing the armour of that MOSTROSITY."

"Oh, you're the real deal, you say? Well forgive me if I still don't believe you. I have nothing to offer you that you couldn't find in greater quantities from any number of other metahumans - why aren't any of them involved? I'm proud of who I am and what I've accomplished, but I'm not so much of an egomaniac to think I'm the best person for the job. I'm smart, but there's much smarter. I'm strong, but there are tons of people who outclass me in that regard. I'm fast, sure - but I can think of dozens faster than me. I mean, about the only thing I'm even remotely world-class in is acrobatics and evasiveness - and you mean to tell me that there aren't at least a dozen other beings across the world who could match me in that department, AND would certainly be less repelled by you? Right. Kinetic? Vector? Hummingbird? Hornet? Any of these names ring a bell? All equally hard to hit, I'm sure. How about these ones? (followed by a KS: Superhuman world roll, for more names) Not to mention all the folks who could go desolid and avoid damage altogether!"

(Hopefully, the old danger sense will act as a bit of a guide to the real threat level here! Frankly, he'd suspect this was all a VIPER plot to lure him into a trap. A very odd one, though, considering his emnity towards Destroyer - but there are reasons they might have chosen this guy as a decoy...)

"Let's say, for argument's sake, that I'm the hardest target on the planet one-on-one. What good will that do me? All it takes is one bad step and BAM! I'm done for. More importantly - what good is it to you? I'm sure you'd put me to shame in the firepower, brains and brawn department. You've got an infinite amout of lackeys and robots that would provide as much, if not better distraction than me; which is honestly about all I'd be good for. Honestly - what can I offer you? I'll tell you this much - nothing that I'll willingly give without a MUCH better explanation, bucko."

"You've got one minute to give me a the real story. One minute to tell me why I shouldn't send you on a one-way trip to Hell."

*giggles*

Zero would, immeadiately, scream like a little girl and run. Probably straight into a wall and knock himself out. He's a very minor psyker with Dr. D as a Hunted.

Vitus, on the other other hand, would study him carefully, ask if, in fact, he's not one of Teleios's Destroyer clones, ask for proof of such, and then rant at length as to how exactly he expects the Skeleton Crew to deal with such a situation, and then murmur "... actually.." because there's a very good chance we could pull it off.

Vitus has a fairly potent dispel magic he can keep casting, he's familiar with demons (and exterminates them without mercy) and one of Felicity's powers, that can effect a city-wide area, has a special effect that's sheer poison to demons. As we discovered to our surprise turning back a demonic invasion of 3's homeworld

Something similiar to this occured in a game I was in. The groups reaction was to verify his bonafides, help him, and while doing so, do everything possible to collect critical information that would help undermine him, and his organization, in the future. They also, secretly, communicated their goings on to PRIMUS, who assisted them in a last minute attempt to kill and/or capture the good Doctor. The capture attempt failed (just barely), but the effort to gain intel on his organization was more successful, and allowed us to trump one of his operations later (a reward from the GM for making the best of his @$$nine plot :D )

Whisper - "Mwahahaha! Come, my brothers! Feast! Slake your thir... what? No! Don't tell me.... *sigh* Bethany says that I have to help you."

The Swarmling - "We are here." He'd leave the rest of the explaination to Vitus and Felicity. Vitus because at least he understands the Swarmling, and Felicity because "she is the Heart."

Nuada of the Silver Hand: "Arrogant fool! Such ignorant meddling first loosed the Fomori upon Earth, and set me on the path of eternal war! Nonetheless it is my duty and burden to drive Hell from this world, and so I will fight beside even you if I must. But know this: should you ever play with such dangerous toys again, I will hold you personally responsible for the result, and not all your lackeys will keep my sword from your heart!"

I'm not completly sure on the good Doctor's write up - beyond him being the Uberbad guy like Lord Aracnos, Vader or Dr Doom - so I'm firing in the dark on power levels. But anything that he cant deal with will probably be SO far beyond both Natasha and GB's ability to handle that they might as well not get out of bed. The only trick I could think of would be 'Tasha using her car to jump back in time before the incident and stop the experment from happening - but that'd be an even bigger problem in the long run than the portal to hell. Even worse is that if time and space didnt implode in a paradox, odds are good that the Doctor will start up research all over again later on. We're back to square one.

So yeah, I'm with the "Whoops - spilled my drink" team and heading out the back.