"Mostly Harmless" powers

bigdamnhero

Re: "Mostly Harmless" powers

Summon, any 25 point creature, amicable, arives under own power. The character is the Most Popular Girl in the World.

Teleport, 1", megascale may be scaled down, 1 fxed location, only to that location. As long as she's at least 1 KM from her bed, the character can always click her heels together three times and wake up at home.

Dimension travel to one dimension, Extra Time 5 Minutes, must keep walking, CK: Babylon, Perk: Citizen of Babylon, 5 points of wealth. It's a classic; the NPC is just an ordinary person, but they also have access to an alternate world where they have status and some resources. You can limit the travel even more, say only through a wardrobe or only through a mirror.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the sidekicks from Sky High are suitable for this. Able to turn into innocuous animals, puddles and so on.

At least some of the characters from the Legion of Substitute Heroes: able to turn to (immobile) stone, able to change the colours of objects and so on.

At the more formidable end, you could have characters that are almost adventurer grade, except their powers aren't under control, or are only occasionally available.

DC's Hero Hotline series had a lot of fairly limited powered characters. Zeep the Living Sponge was quite literally a human sponge. Marie the Thunder Turtle was never shown using her powers, but basically, she was a turtle.

Being a talking animal is an interesting "superpower" in general, even without other powers.

My favorites for low-level powers are enhanced senses like parabolic hearing, Radio hearing, and No Conscious Control Telepathy. This allows NPCs with no crime-fighting abilities to "overhear" evil schemes, making it an easy plot hook when they have to contact the heroes for help. If they are a DNPC this is almost too easy; if they are adversarial with the heroes for some reason but suddenly need protection (now that they are a "witness") or only give the heroes partial details for their own reasons you can get some fun roleplaying out of this.

On a side note, would anyone else like to see a supplement with low-level paranormals in it? I have always been slightly bothered by the idea that the majority of mutant powers seem to be tailored to crimefighting, with comparitively few minor or disadvantageous ones. To date in my campaigns this has been explained either by a major mutant creation incident or handwaving (yeah they are there, they just lay low), but I think there is a lot of possibility there. Similarly for low-level mages or technical geniuses or whatever.

"The rich scare me. They can already evade taxes." - Grim Reaper

I have been toying with a shapeshifter design (using just the shape shift power, not multiform) and found that I could quickly build a person who would be able to look like any one and maintain that form indefently, but was so expensive that I could not give them any real defenses or attack ablities (note I was upto 110 points for the shape shift with all desired adders and 0 end/persistant, add inherant and the price goes up to (55 * 2.5) = 137 (approx) add bunches of social skill (acting, high socity etc) you can get the person of a thousand faces, but unable to defend themself in combat. A powerful non combatant (but could be very useful)

One of my taglines used to be "Raised in the forest by wild rhododendrons... It's Gladiola Gal!"

She's an herbopath. That is, she can talk to plants, and hear their replies. She can't make them do anything a plant couldn't normally do (no entangle vines, unless you can talk someone into standing still for a couple of days), and, well, plants are not traditionally sentient and have a somewhat different perception set.

Of course, it's impossible to sneak up on her anyplace with grass around. ("oof"! "oof!" says the lawn.)

She got the name Gladiola Gal sitting with some (more usefully powered) friends having the "what kind of superhero could I be" conversation. When they got to her, she rolled her eyes and said "I talk to plants! What am I gonna do? Dress in pink and green and call myself Gladiola Gal?" And thus a nickname was born, much to her general annoyance.

Very low strength telekinesis, perhaps with a huge END cost. Just enough to lift an ice cube out of a poolside drink and deposit it between a sunbathing woman's shoulder blades. :eg:

EDIT: Hm. Blade, Steve, and McCoy had pretty much the same idea on the previous page.

And AmadanNaBriona had the idea for what we have humorously call "Force Diddle" in our Star Wars campaign ... and we have arguments over whether using that gives you Dark Side points or not. ;)

Way back, I had one characters DNPC gain the power to turn into a very low powered Flying Robot. Mrs. Oddhat played him as a bratty 9 year old kid. As he gained experience, he became a favorite character. Eventually we played him as a full teen superhero.

Oooh! Oooh!

Burn Body Fat: Shape Shift (Sight Group, limited group of shapes), Cellular, Usable By Other (+1/4), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (must touch other person), Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2)

Now who'd pay him a few hundred just to get rid of that unsightly love handle? :D

Hmm. A variable-effect Summon useable only for small, known-to-be-nearby-but-I-don't-know-exactly-where inanimate objects would be handy.

Where are my keys again? Oh, in my other hand. Fine, let's go.

Summon' date=' any 25 point creature, amicable, arives under own power. The character is the Most Popular Girl in the World.[/quote']

This one reminds me a bit of the power with women that the Fonz from Happy Days has. He snaps his fingers, and a pretty girl comes over to him. :)

This one reminds me a bit of the power with women that the Fonz from Happy Days has. He snaps his fingers' date=' and a pretty girl comes over to him. :)[/quote']

And of coures, let's not forget his ability to instantly repair any non-functioning electrical device by simpy thumping it. :D

On a side note, would anyone else like to see a supplement with low-level paranormals in it? I have always been slightly bothered by the idea that the majority of mutant powers seem to be tailored to crimefighting, with comparitively few minor or disadvantageous ones.

I think it's an interesting idea, and one I'm looking to flesh out a bit in my campaign (hence this thread). But I'm not sure I'd pay money for it, to be honest.

bigdamnhero

“This is for ladies only!â€

[unzips fly] “So is *this*, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.â€

On a side note, would anyone else like to see a supplement with low-level paranormals in it? I have always been slightly bothered by the idea that the majority of mutant powers seem to be tailored to crimefighting, with comparitively few minor or disadvantageous ones. To date in my campaigns this has been explained either by a major mutant creation incident or handwaving (yeah they are there, they just lay low), but I think there is a lot of possibility there. Similarly for low-level mages or technical geniuses or whatever.

"The rich scare me. They can already evade taxes." - Grim Reaper

I once did a 50 point supers thread, but it didn't get much interet. There wa also a fairly cool 25 point Supers thread. It's interesting the sort of thing you can manage at those levels, even without seriously munchkin builds.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

*blink blink*

I just started pondering slightluy powered sex industry workers....

best not to go there.

I seem to remember a joker prostitute from the Wild Card series who appeared to her Johns to be their heart's desire. She was considered a joker because she had no control over it, and appeared as a different "heart's desire" to everyone in a room, and effectively payed the Endurance cost for every "transformation".

Guest Suleyman Rashid

For that matter, Wild Cards had others of this type: Mr. Rainbow, with the power to change the color of his skin, but only to one of the seven colors of the visible spectrum. Or Ralph Norton, the human garbage disposal... who was effectively Matter Eater Lad.

And no matter what anyone says, being able to digest anything isn't a crimefighting power...

The Wallcrawler. He can walk on walls. And that's all.

The Librarian. If its written in a book, he can summon it to memory. Not very effective when it comes to stopping bank-robbers.

I seem to remember an issue of the Defenders which featured a mutant activist whose sole power was that he could see into the infrared spectrum. And that was all. One of his fellow activist had the "power" of having seven fingers and toes on each hand and foot rather than the usual five.

I seem to remember an issue of the Defenders which featured a mutant activist whose sole power was that he could see into the infrared spectrum. And that was all. One of his fellow activist had the "power" of having seven fingers and toes on each hand and foot rather than the usual five.

Same character, the late Adrian Castorp, who could see into the infared and had six fingers on each hand. It was in his memory that M.O.N.S.T.E.R. (Mutants Only Need Sensitivity, Tolerance, and Equal Rights) adopted the six fingered hand as their emblem.

+4 speed, only to change tires. It's Pit Man! You could make a good living with this one if you don't mind left turns.

1d6 Entangle, no defense -- useful for babysitters

Life support, self contained breathing, usable by others (8 targets), ranged, increased range, persistent, requires concentration (0 DCV), must concentrate throughout. Firefighters and some rescue teams would take someone with this power.

flash vs. taste -- get kids to take their medicine. May also cause an outbreak of bowties.

-8 str TK, fine manipulation -- Nearly everyone working with medium to high vacuum systems (1e-7 torr or lower) wants this. In grad school I would have maimed for this power.