Human Torch vs. Pyro, who wins?

Hyper-Man

I have not followed either FF or the X-Titles enough to know much about how their fire control powers differ other than that Pyro can't self start a flame. I know that Human Torch has more variety (flight, damage shield, arguably a Force Field, etc.) I am thinking more in terms of what would happen if Pyro tried to turn off Johnny's flame?

HM

Re: Human Torch vs. Pyro, who wins?

Have they ever actually fought?

Not to my knowledge (and it seems unlikely they will, given that Pyro is dead and wasn't popular enough to warrant a resurrection). If you decide to use the old Marvel RPG system for comparisons (probably not the BEST idea), Johnny's Fire Control was of Unearthly (100) intensity, whereas Pyro was stooging around in the Incredible (40) to Amazing (50) range.

The Human Torch is virtually immune to all fire that's not cosmic or mystical in origin so there's nothing Pyro can do to hurt him. Even if Pyro were able to snuff-out the Torch's fire [if he somehow rolled all 6s] Johnny could still just walk over to him and punch his lights out.

Not to my knowledge (and it seems unlikely they will' date=' given that Pyro is dead and wasn't popular enough to warrant a resurrection). If you decide to use the old Marvel RPG system for comparisons (probably not the BEST idea), Johnny's Fire Control was of Unearthly (100) intensity, whereas Pyro was stooging around in the Incredible (40) to Amazing (50) range.[/quote']

Cool, thanks

HM

The Human Torch is virtually immune to all fire that's not cosmic or mystical in origin so there's nothing Pyro can do to hurt him. Even if Pyro were able to snuff-out the Torch's fire [if he somehow rolled all 6s] Johnny could still just walk over to him and punch his lights out.

Yup.

"Normally I say 'Flame On', but for you I think I'll use my pal Ben's phrase...'IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!' "

I was also of the mind that Johnny would simply punch him out. I cannot recall if Pyro was also Immune to flame. Pyro did create "Fire Constructs" much like Feurmacher, and I seem to recall that the constructs could attack as "Physical" so Johnny simply doesn't "flame on" he show's the two-bit novelist a knuckle sandwich.

If Pyro had his blow torch harness, then Johnny merely needs to slag it and then snuff the flames before knuckle dusting him.

Actually, I'm seeing Johnny making Pyro cry by overloading him with so much flame of such intensity that Pyro just can't handle it. You know, one of those classic "You think you know what real power is?" moments. I believe Pyro has some flame immunity, but not on the order of what the Torch can conjure up. Punching just seems so...mundane.

I believe Pyro has some flame immunity' date=' but not on the order of what the Torch can conjure up.[/quote']

My recollection is that Pyro was only immune to flame he was controlling. I seem to recall a story where his fuel pod was set aflame, and he had to quickly take control of the flames to prevent burning to death.

That makes the fight even more one-sided. Pyro's only hope would be to snuff Johnny's flame while he's flying so he'll fall to death, and that's a tough goal for a guy who can't fly himself.

No contest.

It's a closer fight between the Green Goblin and Galactus. ;)

[well ole Greeny beats Spidey on a regular basis, and Spidey beat Firelord and the Silver Surfer... Surfer has beaten Galactus, so logically... Green Goblin beats Galactus.]

Ah, c'mon. That's not even a fair fight in the broadest, stretchiest, most unrecognizable interpretation of the word "fair".

You must be trawling for post count to even suggest it.... ;)

Seriously though, Pyro is just not in the same league as the Human Torch. And thats a good thing in my book. Im really not fond of the uber-powerful type characters that have no real limits. I like the characters that do the best they can with what they have instead of just overpowering everything.

The interesting thing about characters like Pyro is that they are not world bending dominators with goals and motivations so grandiose that they can only be found in comic books. Pyro was one of those characters who COULD HAVE BEEN a good guy. A few wrong decisions here, a misaligned attitude there, a really poor choice of companions that other time......He was a criminal in the sense that he was looking out for himself rather than the greater good, not in the "I blew up Detroit cuz I could" sort of way.

My recollection is that Pyro was only immune to flame he was controlling. I seem to recall a story where his fuel pod was set aflame' date=' and he had to quickly take control of the flames to prevent burning to death.[/quote']

Shortly thereafter, he changed his costume to a fire-resistant fabric ... which *still* isn't enough to protect him from Johnny's fire, but at least it stops him from dying in an incredibly stupid manner.

"Next you'll tell me that Iceman just got FROSTBITE!"

Shortly thereafter, he changed his costume to a fire-resistant fabric ... which *still* isn't enough to protect him from Johnny's fire, but at least it stops him from dying in an incredibly stupid manner.

"Next you'll tell me that Iceman just got FROSTBITE!"

:rofl: