Worst comic book superfight ever

FenrisUlf

Re: Worst comic book superfight ever

...Honestly? Superman's hearing is often portrayed as something he has to consciously switch on' date=' much like his X-ray vision. He generally doesn't leave it running in a fight, though there are plenty of instances where he has. When he does use it in a fight, he's usually scanning for a specific sound, but this has been showed to leave him somewhat vulnerable to loud noises... this is one of those things that varies wildly from story to story though...[/quote']

This is one of those weird topics that many writers simply take for granted or ignore. I have seen it addressed, actually, and the situation is that the super hearing is always on, and he needs to consciously turn it off. It is such a problem that he enters a form of self hypnosis (or super hypnosis, as he has been shown to have, too) that helps him to control and manage the overwhelming auditory input largely through ignoring it.

As a side note, I had a classmate who had the problem that he couldn't filter out noises like most people. In a crowded room he would go crazy because to him every sound, every conversation was like shouting in his ear. I felt bad for him and the geek in me thought of Superman. (Or J'onn when his telepathy does that.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those weird topics that many writers simply take for granted or ignore. I have seen it addressed' date=' actually, and the situation is that the super hearing [i']is [/i]always on, and he needs to consciously turn it off. It is such a problem that he enters a form of self hypnosis (or super hypnosis, as he has been shown to have, too) that helps him to control and manage the overwhelming auditory input largely through ignoring it.

As a side note, I had a classmate who had the problem that he couldn't filter out noises like most people. In a crowded room he would go crazy because to him every sound, every conversation was like shouting in his ear. I felt bad for him and the geek in me thought of Superman. (Or J'onn when his telepathy does that.)

I've heard of that disorder, or something very similar, basically one finds it almost or actually (depending on the degree of it) impossible to listen to a conversation when there's a lot of background noise as it's sort of like hearing lack of depth perception, everyhing is equally present in the ear.

I didn't know those things re Superman, though, that's an interesting approach, re the self-hypnosis. I think taking that tact makes it hard to imagine how he'd ever be functional, given you'd assume he'd have similar problems with other senses along with his having to live, as a friend was just discussing with me the other day, in a world of wet cardboard.

This is one of those weird topics that many writers simply take for granted or ignore. I have seen it addressed' date=' actually, and the situation is that the super hearing [i']is [/i]always on, and he needs to consciously turn it off. It is such a problem that he enters a form of self hypnosis (or super hypnosis, as he has been shown to have, too) that helps him to control and manage the overwhelming auditory input largely through ignoring it.

You wouldn't happen to know when you first encountered that self hypnosis thing would you?

I ask for two reasons. First, it reminds me of Daredevil meditation and I simply wonder which came first. Second, I'm curious if I have misinterpreted how his powers work or if they have since changed it... I believe his other Super Hypnosis powers have long since been removed... :confused:

You wouldn't happen to know when you first encountered that self hypnosis thing would you?

I ask for two reasons. First, it reminds me of Daredevil meditation and I simply wonder which came first. Second, I'm curious if I have misinterpreted how his powers work or if they have since changed it... I believe his other Super Hypnosis powers have long since been removed... :confused:

I want to say it was early 80s, pre-Byrne. I'm thinking Action Comics title, but that was a long time ago.

As a side note' date=' I had a classmate who had the problem that he couldn't filter out noises like most people. In a crowded room he would go crazy because to him every sound, every conversation was like shouting in his ear. I felt bad for him and the geek in me thought of Superman. (Or J'onn when his telepathy does that.)[/quote']

Isn't that a form of autism?

I'm no expert but I certainly understand Cyclops should have an excellent shot at Batman with the eyes. I just was questioning whether Cyclops could really get a throw on Batman; from my limited understanding' date=' I would think Cyclops noticeably inferior to Batman in any hand-to-hand fighting contests.[/quote']

Anyone can get lucky. Especially if Bats has never faced him before.

Cyke vs. Bats: Yeah, I gotta waffle a bit on this one...Cyke could have a chance against him, esp. if they haven't fought before.

But I still feel my IQ drop whenever I think of Jean beaning Supe with rocks, or Bishop pimp slapping J'ohn.

There was a "stabby wolverine" versus regenerating gray hulk fight that was pretty bad long ago - mostly because they were in the wolverine is tough enough to go toe-to-toe and use no tactics against anyone phase. The other parts of the story (what there was of it) was okay, but it was really badly done.

How about when Krypto' date=' yes that's right KRYPTO, beat Mongul by nearly ripping out Mongul's throat in Superman #170?[/quote']

Don't mess with a foul tempered Kryptonian dog. This one makes a little sense to me. Dog's take people down all the time. Just look at the damage when you hear about rotweiler or pitbull attacks. Kryptois porportianally kryptonian strong which would be nasty. He might even tear a whole into Supes when you think about it. Yeah it's silly but I can see it from a comparing it to the real world POV. Unless of course Mongul is tougher than Superman which he may be I don't know much about him other than what I saw on JLU.

Don't mess with a foul tempered Kryptonian dog. This one makes a little sense to me. Dog's take people down all the time. Just look at the damage when you hear about rotweiler or pitbull attacks. Kryptois porportianally kryptonian strong which would be nasty. He might even tear a whole into Supes when you think about it. Yeah it's silly but I can see it from a comparing it to the real world POV. Unless of course Mongul is tougher than Superman which he may be I don't know much about him other than what I saw on JLU.

In the 'fictional' story The Last Days of Superman Krypto took out The Kryptonite Man even though it was killing him. It was actually quite a touching scene.

In the 'fictional' story The Last Days of Superman Krypto took out The Kryptonite Man even though it was killing him. It was actually quite a touching scene.

The story can, nowadays, be found in the 'Alan Moore in the DC Universe' collection, along with 'For the Man who has Everything...', which was the inspiration for the JLU story of the same name. There are a couple of other bits in various stories, including the Last Days one, that came out in JLU as well. :) (The season 2 finale is heavily inspired by one of the events in particular).

My all time favorite mismatched fight was in an old Silver Surfer (I forget which issue and can not find it at the moment). It seems Silver Surfer was flying low to the ground on Earth. He's not really paying attention to his surroundings (of course he was brooding or something). All of a sudden, Rhino crashes into The Surfer and his board (he wasn't watching where he was going,either). Rhino is pissed and picks a fight with the Silver Surfer!

The Surfer tries to ignore Rhino until Rhino grabs his board out from under him. Next thing you see is a pissed off Surfer. He shoots a HUGE Cosmic energy blast at Rhino. Rhino flies back and lands in a smoking heap.

End of fight. It was a riot, but a totally useless issue.

Joe Powers

I just found this thread and haven't had time to read all the previous posts, so I gotta ask...

Has anyone mentioned the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali "graphic novel"?

Or, am I the only one old enough to remember it? :o

I do recall that particular title. I'm kinda fuzzy on the story's details, but that's where the magic of the Internet comes into play. ;)

http://nightwing.superman.ws/adventures/supermanvsali.htm

Has anyone mentioned the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali "graphic novel"?

Or, am I the only one old enough to remember it? :o

I vaguely remember it. I think it was an oversized "Treasury Edition" rather than a "graphic novel" as such. IIRC, it used the "red sun radiation makes Superman weak" excuse to make the fight a bit more even. And I did at the time like the notion that Superman's allowed to wear his costume because otherwise the aliens watching wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and Ali.

Well, the pre-Crisis Mongul was stronger and tougher than Superman but I'm not sure where the power level of the current one lies. And to be honest, the one that Krypto nearly killed is actually the SON of the original (post-Crisis) Mongul.

I always loved the old Defenders mag in my youth, but some of the writers just did a rediculously abysmal job with Dr. Strange, reducing him to little more than a levitating EBer.

So, this springs to mind as a WCBSFE: Strange and Nighthawk fight Luke Cage. And Cage holds his own. Um... N.Hawk was just dead weight in any case, but Strange could dispose of Cage in about two seconds. Then, all three went on to fight the Wrecking Crew. Cage -and- the Crew wouldn't be any threat to Strange unless they really got the jump on him... like finding him asleep.

OTOH, I understand the challenge writers faced in that mag with a team that included both Strange and the Hulk. (wisely, they dumped the Surfer relatively quickly) But I really enjoyed the team when the core line up was those two plus Valkyrie and Nighthawk. It was really a quirky mix of personalities, plus some very offbeat stories for its day.

Good point Northstar, I loved the Defenders also (not that I read many of them, but I loved the goofy team-up and misfit sort of approach, when Valkyrie and Hulk were in it), but have to agree that Dr. Strange was in one of those "I must be depowered ridiculously when around these characters" mode.

I wonder how a conference with Dr. Strange, Thor, and Superman about working with lesser mortals would be like? :D

• 4 weeks later...

My vote would have to go for the climactic fight of Infinite Crisis #7, where the Golden Age Superman, essentially the founding father of the entire superhero comics genre, got beaten to death by a murderously insane younger version of himself after being pointlessly dragged out of a respectful 30 year retirement. I stopped buying DC Comics after that one hit the stands. :sick:

My vote would have to go for the climactic fight of Infinite Crisis #7' date=' where the Golden Age Superman, essentially the founding father of the entire superhero comics genre, got beaten to death by a murderously insane younger version of himself after being pointlessly dragged out of a respectful 30 year retirement. I stopped buying DC Comics after that one hit the stands. :sick:[/quote']

Is that the same series where the pre-Crisis Superboy goes wacko and kills half the Teen Titans among others? Bet the folks who grew up reading about him were delighted to see that. :angst:

That's the one. Though technically, it wasn't the pre-Crisis Superboy from all those Legion of Super Heroes comics, but rather the nearly identical Earth-Prime version of that Earth-1 character.

Still kinda hard to watch someone with the same identity and upbringing as our Clark Kent become a deluded mass murderer, but I could have lived with it if they didn't also flush Siegel & Schuster's orginal iconic creation down the toilet at the same time.