DC's Best Martial Artist

Enforcer84

Re: DC's Best Martial Artist

Hey' date=' Puckett did some great stuff with her. Dude was bein' sarcastic. :)[/quote']I don't think so. Earlier in the interview he was talking about how Babs was a crappy character because she couldn't fight worth a damn.

He may be a decent writer, but that pretty much killed my opinion of the guy.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the various comics actually established what the parent styles are of each martial artist? I know Batgirl's got this funky special one...

... But I think that Bats got his training from a variety of masters in surprising locations, like a Kung-Fu Master living on some island in Hawaii and a Pankration adept in Siberia. Weird stuff like that, I can't actually remember.

She lacks the Mary Sue qualities of being better than everyone at everything else. Outside of martial arts, she varies from 'average' to 'learning disabled'. She's just a very specialized character.

Champs equivalent -- the person who dumped almost all of their character points into DEX, CV, martial maneuvers, and martial arts powers... and then came up with a backstory that made it believable.

Besides, the chief defense against accusations of Mary Suedom is quality writing, and God knows Puckett's BATGIRL run had /that/ in spades.

The biggest defense here, that Cassandra isn't a Mary Sue, is that she doesn't have the hot studs of DC falling all over her and fighting each other to sleep with her.

My personal opinion is that you have both "Black Canary" and "Wildcat" at least one rank too low. No particular reason, just think they are better than you have rated them. "Wildcat" was the undefeated heavyweight boxing champion of Earth 2 after all . and hey, i've ALWAYS been a great fan of "Black Canary" !

The biggest defense here' date=' that Cassandra isn't a Mary Sue, is that she doesn't have the hot studs of DC falling all over her and fighting each other to sleep with her.[/quote']

Actually Superboy gets all goofy whenever he's around her, even though he's pretty much going steady with Wonder Girl. And Coldcast in JLE was very interested also, with the other male team members appreciative of her tight little bod (whattaya expect from Green Arrow?) I don't know if her and Arsenal have met but he's one of the hot studs of DC, and he'd probably make a pass. Who's left at DC? Wildcat? Yeah, he'd hit it.

Batgirl's book lost me after the first 30 issues, but I have to agree that Barbara was well written in the book.

Actually Superboy gets all goofy whenever he's around her' date=' even though he's pretty much going steady with Wonder Girl. And Coldcast in JLE was very interested also, with the other male team members appreciative of her tight little bod (whattaya expect from Green Arrow?)[/quote']

Superboy has had that Psych Lim re: a wandering eye since his character's inception, so that's not so much her Mary Sue-ness as his horniness. Besides, despite his temptation, Cassandra once made a direct pass at him and he reluctantly turned her down, so definitely no Mary Sue aura here.

As for Wildcat -- she's eighteen, fer gossake. Who do you think he is, Green Arrow? :)

:nya:

Honestly, I've refrained because I know so little about most of these characters. Never seen Richard Dragon, or Cassandra "Batgirl" Cain, nor even Bronze Tiger.

I'm pathetic :cry:

(me neither and I started the thread) I've read one issue with the "Updated" Richard Dragon, but many of the characters are relatively unknown to me. I just like the polls. :D)

The best Martial Artist is probably Lady Shiva. Unless something reasonably recent occured then she has beaten everyone. Dragon, Bats etc... The only person who has beaten her was Batgirl. The fans on DC's board argue about it because of the way it was written so I don't know what to make of it.

Ok, after a lot of thought, here's my ranking:

1. Detective Chimp

2. Brother Power

3. Oom and Mr. Mind (tie)

4. Calendar Man

5. Penguin

6. Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld

7. Bizarro Tenzil Kim (his power is that anything can eat *him*)

8. Hugo Strange

9. Chemo

10. Gleep

Of course...it's all so clear now!

Honorable mention goes to Arms Fall Off Boy :thumbup:

Ok, after a lot of thought, here's my ranking:

1. Detective Chimp

2. Brother Power

3. Oom and Mr. Mind (tie)

4. Calendar Man

5. Penguin

6. Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld

7. Bizarro Tenzil Kim (his power is that anything can eat *him*)

8. Hugo Strange

9. Chemo

10. Gleep

You win a Prize!

I'm going to come over to your house and move in!

:eg: That'll show ya!

I always thought that Mr. Miracle was a decent Martial Artist but NO One has mentioned him at all.

Well despite having no, or better put, "undefined powers that shall remain underwraps until I am quite ready thank you very much." Mister Miracle just does not have that schtick of being a good martial artist. Which is wrong in certain ways, he fights a lot like a superhuman Jackie Chan in my humble yet honest opinion. It is that 'gimmicky' behavior that causes people to not rank him as highly as they should.

Interestingly the mention of Scott Free has caused me to imagine a fight between Cassandra and the New God. How would she react to a near total unaggressive combatant? Scott dodges and blocks but never tries to strike her, how would she 'read' that? Moreover, how would she deal with a soul that is so utterly without fear that not even life on Apokalips could break him. After all he couldn't be accused of guarding a 'center' or weakness like so many of Batgirl's opponents.

Hawksmoor

Her move-reading would simply tell her which way he was going to dodge before he did so, and thus, she'd simply punch him in the face. Emotional weakness is not a prerequisite for her to hit somebody unless that somebody so evenly matches her in every other respect that her only hope of victory is to take advantage of a mental lapse.

The best Martial Artist is probably Lady Shiva. Unless something reasonably recent occured then she has beaten everyone. Dragon' date=' Bats etc... The only person who has beaten her was Batgirl. The fans on DC's board argue about it because of the way it was written so I don't know what to make of it.[/quote']

Actually in his recent book, Dragon threw the fight due to Neron's manipulation. It was his only way out of a bad situation, earlier in that book Dragon had Lady Shiva set up for the kill but one of her flunkies interfered to prevent it. Prior to that point it was my understanding that Dragon was the best there was in the DC Universe as evidenced by Batman going to him for training and sending other heroes to Dragon for training as well.