[Interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Snake Gandhi

Re: [interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

That'd be fun too' date=' but the legacy characters seem a bit limited since there were only 4 originals (+ She Hulk and Johnny's spouce ? - Can the Thing actually procreate? Well, with Reed's help anything's possible)[/quote']Well, Sue and johnny where brother and sister, so if folks wanted two of the players could be siblings?

Oh, would we be able to make a legacies of F4 associates and villains? (Well, that's about everyone) :) Still fun!
That could work as well. For example, I could see the F4 adopting Namor's son should anything happen to him. There are a lot of folks the F4 are close to, so the concept does have some room.

Though like I said, that was merely the first thing I thought of. If the majority would prefer a Defender's or X-men game, we can do that instead.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus Crystal' date=' She-Thing/Ms. Marvel II, Thundra (mother of Journeyman?,) Luke Cage, Brute and a gazillion Inhumans. Am I missing anybody? How many times do you figure Johnny got married? Did Lyja have a kid with him (Flaming Skrull!) All sorts of possibilities.[/quote']

Well, when you're talking the Fantastic Four you have the entire Marvel Universe to pull from. It all depends on how loose the GM wants it. If entire groups like the Inhumans (= thousands beyond the royal family) then why not the Avengers or everyone the Thing shared a title with (most of which I own... thank you ;)) We wont even get into villains (I love the idea of a Mole Girl:thumbup: )

No problem really, the Avengers have the same problem (or advantage?)

Well' date=' Sue and johnny where brother and sister, so if folks wanted two of the players could be siblings?[/quote']Duh, I didn't even think of that! I'm an idjit :idjit:

That could work as well. For example, I could see the F4 adopting Namor's son should anything happen to him. There are a lot of folks the F4 are close to, so the concept does have some room.

Though like I said, that was merely the first thing I thought of. If the majority would prefer a Defender's or X-men game, we can do that instead.

I still like the Defenders. While the FF were Marvel's big family team the Defenders were Marvel's answer to their heavy-weight team. Their roster included guys that the Avengers and FF called for help when things looked bad... Yet they never got the love that they deserved. :rolleyes:

The Defender legacies might be a bit more interesting... but I always underestimate the creativity of HERO subscribers.:thumbup:

Honestly... Anything would be fun if everyone involved is onboard.

A new FF would be fun, but I'd be careful of trying to keep the same family vibe - given the slings and arrows of PBeM games, drops would hit especially hard with such a campaign. Imagine the FF if Reed had disappeared after issue #25.

Something looser like Defenders or an alternate Avengers team might work better in the format. A new Thunderbolts that forms entirely from the children of old villains could be interesting too. Or make the FF more of a continuity of the organization/ideals - exploration/"imaginauts" - that may well have some direct connection with the founders as well, but not necessarily. New crew coming to take over the family business, while not part of the same family, carry on the organizational continuity/traditions.

A new FF would be fun' date=' but I'd be careful of trying to keep the same family vibe - given the slings and arrows of PBeM games, drops would hit especially hard with such a campaign. Imagine the FF if Reed had disappeared after issue #25.[/quote']Thats some pretty good advice.

Or make the FF more of a continuity of the organization/ideals - exploration/"imaginauts" - that may well have some direct connection with the founders as well, but not necessarily. New crew coming to take over the family business, while not part of the same family, carry on the organizational continuity/traditions.
Thats kinda what I was going for. The team should feel like a family, even if all of the members aren't related.

A new Thunderbolts that forms entirely from the children of old villains could be interesting too.
Ohhh, thats a very neat idea.

SS has a good point -- it might be hard to capture that Fantastic Four "family" vibe. Defenders or West Coast Avengers might be easier on everyone. Thunderbolts is an interesting idea, too. Or how about the new New Warriors? ;)

If we're going to be in the "same" universe (an idea which I love, BTW!), we should make sure that the character backgrounds from both games mesh -- or at least, don't directly contradict each other. F'rinstance, in my game, the Vision, the Wasp, and Hank Pym are all dead...

SS has a good point -- it might be hard to capture that Fantastic Four "family" vibe. Defenders or West Coast Avengers might be easier on everyone. Thunderbolts is an interesting idea' date=' too. Or how about the new New Warriors? ;)[/quote']Yeah, y'all are probably right. It was just the first thing that jumped into my head. But like I said, I'm pretty open. I like the Thunderbolt idea of children of villians trying to make good. And the New Warriors has a certain charm as well. And the West Coast Avengers is always good, though if we did them I'd want to make the game different from the regular team. More of a light hearted tone, a little goofier, a little funnier.

If we're going to be in the "same" universe (an idea which I love, BTW!), we should make sure that the character backgrounds from both games mesh -- or at least, don't directly contradict each other. F'rinstance, in my game, the Vision, the Wasp, and Hank Pym are all dead...
Oh totally. Whats already been defined is set, the rest is fairly fluid.

(Well the Wasp and Hank Pym are presumed dead, no bodies ever found... ;) )

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to some minor retcons to help the other campaign/characters get off the ground.

Given the Cinnabar/Antimony dynamic, another SW/Vision child wouldn't work out well - but another child of Wasp/Pym for example wouldn't be too big of a stretch. Or altering some of the X-stuff in Cinnabar's background slightly wouldn't be a big change. F'rinstance. The core things shouldn't be changed, but things peripheral to the core I wouldn't mind altering if it would help the other campaign.

Another option just to toss out - Alpha Flight? :D

Oh, suggestion on doing this on HC as the same universe.

I think the seperate campaigns should largely be just that. Things like Infinite Cities are neat, but WAY too cluttered IMO.

So I would suggest Bunny having the Avengers campaign, and Snake starting a seperate campaign. Then, we have a THIRD campaign slot on HC for crossovers, any communication between groups, etc. where both Bunny and Snake are co-GMs, and have all players from both groups apply/get accepted. Probably wouldn't see much use early on, but later on could be useful way to incorporate the "same world" feel - social visits, sharing info, and down the road crossovers potentially. Meanwhile, each individual campaign proceeds largely autonomously.

And might want to start a new thread here to drum up interest/get thoughts/ideas - people who might love a new-Xmen game for example might not be looking in an Avengers-related thread. Cross-post links for anyone wanting the whole picture.

So I would suggest Bunny having the Avengers campaign' date=' and Snake starting a seperate campaign. Then, we have a THIRD campaign slot on HC for crossovers, any communication between groups, etc. where both Bunny and Snake are co-GMs, and have all players from both groups apply/get accepted. Probably wouldn't see much use early on, but later on could be useful way to incorporate the "same world" feel - social visits, sharing info, and down the road crossovers potentially. Meanwhile, each individual campaign proceeds largely autonomously.[/quote']That was my idea exactly.:thumbup:

And might want to start a new thread here to drum up interest/get thoughts/ideas - people who might love a new-Xmen game for example might not be looking in an Avengers-related thread. Cross-post links for anyone wanting the whole picture.
So it is written, so shall it be done.

I wouldn't myself quite recommend Defenders if you want to capture the feel of such.. unless you feel up to handling, um.. 1500 point characters or so? That team's ever defining and most known by roster is Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Namor and the Silver Surfer.

Okay, new thread here

I wouldn't myself quite recommend Defenders if you want to capture the feel of such.. unless you feel up to handling' date=' um.. 1500 point characters or so? That team's ever defining and most known by roster is Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Namor and the Silver Surfer.[/quote']While i probably wouldn't go quite that high for starting characters, you're right in that the Defenders would be a really high level game, and probably wouldn't spend a lot of time on Earth beating up supervillians. Galactic tyrants, cosmic monsters, space fleets, extradimensional creatures, things like that would be the order of the day.

I'd have no problems running it, though I'd probably stick with a smaller team, around 4 or 5.

Yeah, y'all are probably right. It was just the first thing that jumped into my head. But like I said, I'm pretty open. I like the Thunderbolt idea of children of villians trying to make good. And the New Warriors has a certain charm as well. And the West Coast Avengers is always good, though if we did them I'd want to make the game different from the regular team. More of a light hearted tone, a little goofier, a little funnier.

Oh totally. Whats already been defined is set, the rest is fairly fluid.

Now there we go! I can use Journeyman in a Thunderbolts game. He's the son of Bulldozer (of the Wrecking Crew).

• 1 month later...

The wit and wisdom of iron Girl:

Toni (sipping her tea}: "Aah! I bet the Brew of the Gods can't match this! Darn, Emma didn't tell me where the cookies are. Does anyone know? I was told there were some peanut butter cookies with white choclate chips and macadamia nuts made for us special, but I don't see them anywhere. You guys didn't wolf them all down before I got here, did you?"

Banner: ""I ah..might have had a few of the coconut sprinkled ones...and a few of the choclate chips, but I'm almost sure there are some cookies left in the back there."

Toni: "I'm told that Captain America could lie convincingly when he had to. You need practice. I put a donation jar in the counter, Banner. In the Great Monopoly Spirit, I labeled it "Free Parking". Do I need to say anything more?

"

Toni: And here comes another prime specimen of Hunkasaurus Rex. God' date=' I love being an Avenger![/quote']

Toni: "Good morning, ladies. Ready to go? I'm afraid I didn't get much sleep -- I went to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last night and somehow got myself invivted to dinner with one of the cast afterwards. Thank God the acting fraternity has forgiven me for "The House that Dripped Blood"! Now if I could only forgive myself for unintentionally defliling the sacred names of Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Jon Pertwee.... Sorry, where was I?"

"I know very well that we are bearing the legacy of legends' date=' that these are halls that have been trod by gods. And I remember very well that the memory of the Avengers that have been lost is, and always will be, with us. Yet it is with a glad and joyous heart that I greet this day. It is with happiness that I introduce my teammates to you all, and take up the task of helping defend this world, which we may refer to as an "insignificant little mudball" with affection. We do not know what challenges lie in store. We do not know what foe will rise against us. But we will be ready. We will persevere. Most importantly, once again [b']the Avengers will Assemble![/b]"

"Iron Girl! Miss Iron Girl!" As a role-model for the younger generation, how would you describe your close connection to known debaucher and tabloid target Toni Stark? Should the wholesome and clean image of the Avengers be associated with her hedonistic lifestyle? And a follow-up question; Are the photographs circulating on the Internet -- allegedly of you, wearing little more than your helmet -- real?"

Iron Girl: "First of all, I am not in a position to judge Toni. what the paparazzi don't see is the work she puts in managing and directing Stark International, or the considerable personal and finanical resources she has invested in the Avengers Foundation. But of course, the tabloids only care about the contents of her circulatory and, ahem, certain other systems. She is always telling me how much it gets on her nerves. And may I remind you that the Department of Defense Procurment office has enough faith in Antoinette Stark that Stark International is still an important contractor, not just with the United States but with several other countries as well. And I've seen the photo in question. It's an obvious Photoshop job, typical of what you see on those sorts of websites. I think I can say in addition that if I had the proportions shown in that photo I would NOT be able to fit into this armor -- at least not if I enjoyed breathing."

Iron Girl: "Don't you ever get tired of being angry all the time' date=' Mr. Hyde?" (After he collapses) "You know what, Titanium Man? I'm sort of glad you were conscious to see that!"[/quote']

• 3 months later...

Avengers Assemble!

The battle against the Taskmaster and his would-be army of superpowered thugs went well! The Taskmaster lies defeated and captured, his army of villains are now rotting in Stryker's Island, and his empire of crime is now dismantled!

With their first victory under their belts, the New Avengers were faced with some bad news. Dynasty, the scion of Kang the Conquerer, had to leave his teammates in order to face some emergency. Simultaneously, the daughter of Photon (aka Captain Marvel II), Lightray, was summoned to return home to New Orleans.

The team, in its weakened state, has just learned that the Taskmaster may have had some powerful backing: ULTRON!

Who here has the strength, the courage, and the fortitude to stand up to this evil?

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

As before, this is a 600-point game (450 Base + 150 Disads). Characters should have some tie to one or more of the previous Avengers (and since darned near everyone in the Marvel Universe has been an Avenger at one point or another, that shouldn't be too hard). ;)

Current characters are:

Arachne (daughter of Spider-Man)

Banner (son of Captain America)

Cinnabar (daughter of Vision and Scarlet Witch)

Hornet (son of Hank & Janet Pym)

Iron Girl (daughter of Tony Stark)

Kolbrandr the Brave (son of Baldar the Brave)

Past characters were:

Dynasty (son of Kang)

Lightshow (daughter of Photon)

Raptor (son of Black Panther)

As before, I'm not looking for specific power sets (the Avengers have never been what I'd call a "balanced" team), but rather for solid character hooks -- heroes whose personalities and background will work with the team.

I'm only looking for one new player (unfortunately, since I'm sure I'll get 10 great characters, and deciding will be really hard). I'll need to see a full character write up (HDC preferred, but any format is OK), and a solid background before I can consider you.

We're sort of "between" adventures right now, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit someone new in.

Also, keep in mind that this is a "shared" universe between the New Avengers and the New Thunderbolts. The characters on the Thunderbolts team are:

The Fighter (daughter of Georges Batroc, the Leaper)

Doom (daughter of Dr. Doom)

Electron (daughter of Electro)

Journeyman (son of Bulldozer)

Crusher (son of the Absorbing Man)

Future crossovers are planned!

Avengers Assemble!

Woot! As Hornet's player (and the current T-bolts GM) I really look forward to seeing who Bill's going to pick! Good luck everyone! :)

As before, this is a 600-point game (450 Base + 150 Disads).

FYI folks there was also a 25 pt Avengers package somewhere up-thread that you might want to invest in. Not on this thread, but probably recommended is a 2-pt Avengers Communicard.

Current characters are:

Arachne (daughter of Spider-Man)

Banner (son of Captain America)

Cinnabar (daughter of Vision and Scarlet Witch)

Hornet (son of Hank & Janet Pym)

Pendaran (son of Baldar the Brave)

(Pendaran is the player, "Kolbrandr the Brave" is the character)

FYI folks there was also a 25 pt Avengers package somewhere up-thread that you might want to invest in. Not on this thread' date=' but probably recommended is a 2-pt Avengers Communicard.[/quote']

Here are the skills/perks included in the Avengers package:

1 TF: Quinjet

3 Paramedics

3 Systems Operations

2 KS: Avengers Villains (11-)

3 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers

6 Reputation: An Avenger! (large group), 14-, +2/+2d6

7 Donation for the Avengers Island HQ and Quinjet

This is purchased as part of the character (so essentially, you're 575-point characters plus the Avengers package).

(Pendaran is the player, "Kolbrandr the Brave" is the character)

Whoops, my bad. Fixed. :o

This may be a stupid question' date=' but is this game full?[/quote']

Givent hat ahsort-handed new Avengers team is about to have to take on frickin ' Ultron, I'd say no.

And it's really alarming how dangerous Ultron has become now that he's learned how to frick.

I'm going to repost something that I posted earlier when I was picking up this game, for those who want to know what kind of characters I'm looking for...

Here's my cop-out (but more accurate) answer:

What I need are characters who carry with them the feel of the Perez-era Avengers (either the 80s or the 2000s version). I don't want to duplicate any of the existing characters (I only need one Asgardian, f'rinstance), but other than that I'm wide open.

I'm going to try to focus on heavy role-play (to keep the feeling of the game so far), so I don't see specific power-sets as strictly necessary. I'm looking more for characters with lots of hooks, a solid history, a legacy that touches on the Avengers (not just the Marvelverse), and who look like they'd mesh well with the others.

Here's what we have:

Arachne: The trickster; laughing her way through a troubled life.

Banner: The patriot, the true-blue hero, living up to his father's legacy.

Cinnabar: The brooding android-type; afraid of her emotions and wary of letting anyone get close.

Iron Girl: Party-maven, hedonist; self-confident enough that the opinions of others don't matter to her.

Hornet: Young, brash, and brilliant young doctor; sometimes conflicted about his parents and how to live up to their dreams.

Kolbrandr: Brooding rockstar. Every emotion he feels is felt to the fullest -- when happy, he is positively joyful; when sad, his tears could melt rocks.

Former characters:

Dynasty: The imperious prince. Scion of a noble family who really tries hard not to look down on everyone else... but often fails.

Lightshow: The newbie. Overawed at the possiblity of joining Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Underconfident and shy.

I do have:

Iron Man

Vision

Spider-Man

Hank Pym/Yellowjacket

Captain America

Thor

I used to have:

Kang the Conquerer

Photon/Captain Marvel II

I don't have:

Hercules

Black Panther

Hawkeye

Beast

Wonder Man

Warbird/Ms. Marvel

Triathlon

Quicksilver

Namor

...and plenty more!

That's what I think we're really looking for. :yes:

The answer you probably want to hear:

This answer is considerably less accurate, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Avengers have always been brick-heavy (my favorite line-up includes Thor, Wonder Man, Vision, Hercules, and Iron Man), so more bricks are always OK -- though I will note that Arachne, Kolbrandr, Cinnabar, and Iron Girl all have STR of 40+. :rockon: So you might want to keep in mind that you'll be competing with that group.

We also have two big-brains, but again the Avengers have always been heavy on technical knowledge, so I don't see that as a problem.

Arachne is the closest thing we've got to a speedster.

Kolbrandr knows a little magic, but he's not a real sorcerous heavy-hitter. You might have luck there.

We don't have a cosmic or alien/space-based hero (like Quasar, Captain Marvel I, or Jack of Hearts) at all.

We've got one powered-armor gal.

I don't really like mentalists -- and the MU doesn't have a lot of history of them outside of the X-men, AFAIR. Detectives are OK, though I'm blanking on any Batman-level detectives in the Avengers/MU.

Bill.

(What I'm looking for: I'll know it when I see it). ;)